Volkswagen Golf MK7.5 Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volkswagen Golf MK7.5 Refresh

Following yesterday’s leak, the facelifted Volkswagen Golf is showing off its subtle styling tweaks and LED headlights replacing the bi-xenon setup. In typical VAG fashion, the design changes have been kept down to a minimum, but the front fascia now gives the impression it’s wider thanks to the stretched chrome strip on the lower grille. For the same purpose, the designers have reshaped the cooling vents in the lower area of the bumper in a bid to make the ever so popular Golf “even more striking.”

The more expensive versions equipped with the optional Adaptive Cruise Control ACC and/or Front Assist systems will have the radar sensor relocated from the lower section of the front bumper to behind the VW logo in the upper grille. Keep in mind the change will only occur on the TDI, TSI, and LNG models, as well as on the hotter GTI and GTD flavors.

Moving at the back, all versions of the Golf will come from now on with full-LED taillights, and at an additional cost the three- and five-door body styles are going to be offered with sweeping turn signals. A slightly remodeled rear bumper, a new look for the exhaust tips, along with fresh body colors and alloy wheel designs round off the exterior changes.

Stepping inside the cabin, there are two big changes. A 12.3-inch entirely digital instrument cluster is going to be available at an additional cost and will have just about the same functionality as it does in the larger Passat. Drivers will get to pick from five different layouts, including a navigation mode granting quick access to the map without having to take your eyes off the road.

The other big novelty is represented by the overhauled infotainment systems, with the top-spec Discover Pro now hosting a larger 9.2-inch, higher-resolution touchscreen and support for touch- and voice-command operation. The facelifted Golf is the first model in the compact car segment to be available with gesture control if fitted with the Discover Pro infotainment, with other models from VW’s portfolio to get the technology next year.

On the safety side, the 2017 Golf will be available with even more kit than before, including Traffic Jam Assist granting the model with semi-autonomous driving capabilities to make your life easier behind the wheel while tackling the crowded city traffic. The assistant can also diminish the risks of a rear-end collision, while an Emergency Assist system initiates an emergency stop once the on-board sensors detect the driver is not paying attention to the road. On top of that, an optional Trailer Assist system will also be available and it will represent a premiere for compact cars.

Underneath the hood, the 220-hp 2.0 TSI powering the standard GTI has been dropped in order to make room for the 230 hp (169 kW) version now serving as the entry-level model. Should you want a little bit more oomph, VW will sell you a beefier GTI Performance model with 245 hp (180 kW). In addition, the engineers from Wolfsburg have developed a brand new seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox to gradually replace the existing six-speed DSG.

Lesser versions of the Golf will be available with a new and thrifty 1.5-liter TSI Evo engine producing 150 hp (110 kW) and 184 lb-ft (250 Nm) of torque. It benefits from cylinder deactivation technology to cut fuel consumption to just 4.9 liters / 100 km in the NEDC cycle, corresponding to CO2 emissions of 110 g/km.

A more frugal BlueMotion version is also in the works with 130 hp (96 kW) and 147 lb-ft (200 Nm) and it will sip a mere 4.6 liters / 100 km, with 104 g/km of CO2. Interestingly, this more economical specification of the 1.5 TSI benefits as standard from an extended coasting function that completely turns off the engine once the driver releases the accelerator pedal to save a further 0.4 liters / 100 km.

There’s no word just yet about the updated e-Golf with 300-km range because VW will reveal the electrified hatchback next week at the Los Angeles Auto Show. As for the range-topping R model, it should follow shortly to complete the family portrait.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Volkswagen Golf MK7.5 Refresh

Nice refresh! Loving all the digital stuff in the cockpit.
    2008 Audi RS4
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

mk7.5 already? wow i feel bad for the current mk7 owners. Looks like a lot of upgrades! And that yellow is amazing! hope we get it here.

love the new gauges and infotainment.
      Last edited by Danaldson; 11-10-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Curious to know what all this tech is going to cost?? Cool features for sure, I love all the stuff that my golf r has.

Said I'd never do it but I've been eye balling the rs4 again haha. Just something about not needing all the tech and just driving is very appealing.

Comment

All pretty cool but having been in a vehicle recently that the engine shuts off anytime you go to "idle" is so freaking annoying! and can't picture myself owning one. I wonder if the 1.5 is coming to America? maybe I missed that.
          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post

Said I'd never do it but I've been eye balling the rs4 again haha.
            Hmmm. I look every day. I will definitely own another RS4. Best car ever!!!!!! Having said that, I am really enjoying my Golf R!
            Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
            -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
            -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Ya they said 2018 I believe.

I see the rs4 from a mile away too and I just start drooling. Haha. I had a master plan to buy a sweet car in a couple years but now I'm going to move to a new old house, so my car game is up in the air.

Comment

Working...
              X