Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKII GTI Engine issue, help

Hello Euro drivers forum,

As you guys can see from the title I have a slight issue with my engine and I have no clue what the problem is or even how to start to fix it. I'm not much of a mechanic when it comes to vehicles but I do the general maintenance on the Golf so if the problem is easy enough to fix I would love to give it a go myself. Anything else that has gone the wrong before I have fixed it myself pretty much and being a golf most of the parts are easy to source from places like this http://www.used.forsale/canada/ Now, this might be a little hard to understand but it's the best I can explain without knowing what I'm talking about.

So, when I'm driving along in my golf there seems to be some sort of power issue. The Golf in low revs feels like it's about to cut out like it has no petrol but it's not quite juddering so to speak more like power surges but constantly. Then ounce I put my foot down and go into the higher revs the Golf seems to run fine without any problems. I have already taken off the fuel pipes with a friend and cleaned them out replaced the spark plugs, oil etc but it is still giving me the same hassle and I'm getting to the point where I don't want to go out in the Golf anymore.

Really looking forward to speaking with you guys. Please have a little patience with me and try to bare my lack of terminology. Hopefully, you guys can point me in the right direction to get this sorted finally! If there is any other information that you guys need just comment below and I will be sure to add it on!

Thanks

Last edited by CanJ; 05-24-2017, 10:06 PM.

Re: MKII GTI Engine issue, help

Is your car a 16 valve? Have you tried cleaning your ISV valve?
    Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

A few more details would help as well...how many kilometers, when was the timing belt last changed? And any engine modifications?
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

The Kilometers is running at just over 171,000
        16 valve
        I have only upgraded the air filter
        And I haven't changed the timing belt or tried cleaning the ISV

I will look into the ISV and get it cleaned. To be honest it's the first time I've heard of it but I have some pictures up on google and got an idea of what it looks like, worth a try until you guys get back.

Thanks for the replies

Comment

a vacuum leak off the brake booster hose is fairly common issue as well and that would cause idle and drivability issues. I would look at changing the timing belt sooner then later if you do not have history on when it was done last as they are good for around 80-100k. I would also clean the throttle body and air inlet plate as well, and check for a cracked intake boot.
          Been driving VAG for longer then allot of the members have been alive

Comment

Working...
          X