Simon's DIY Intercooler-Mister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon's DIY Intercooler-Mister

So I figured since Manitoba has some hot hot summers, I'd do some intercooler mods.

Ghetto Concepts Racing Development proudly presents the "Ghetto IC Mister"

First of all, get your buddy to help hacksaw the front bumper off.

Then unhook the rear feed on the windshield washer reservoir.

Pull out the rear feed hose and plug it.

Hook up the new hose to the rear side of the pump and pull through.

Get your trusty high-powered drill and drill a hose into the intercooler shroud (that redirects air into IC).

This is the time to check for new roadkill. Sorry birdy.

Once you feed the new hose through hole you just drilled, use some zip ties to secure it in place. Unfortunately, my camera's batteries died. Ok put the bumper back on and you're done.

Only advice I have is to get a 180° mister, I bought a 360° mister so half of it gets on the intercooler, and half of it is sprayed into the shroud. On tuesday I'm gonna pick up a 180° and screw it in. Any questions, let me know.

Ghetto concepts for life.
    Simon

Re: Simon's DIY Intercooler-Mister

nice riggin simon.. poor birdy..

Comment

Sweet ghetto mod man .... That bird carcas is freakin' sick
      Derick

Comment

Damn, that's nice **** right there!

Khyron
        Geoff
        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
          Damn, that's nice **** right there!

Khyron
          haha i knew you'd like it my ghetto comrad!

and yah, that bird carcus was gross. whats even more gross is when i pulled it out and its body parts were in a pile. head wings and torso all seperate. then i put toothpicks in him and stuck the parts back together. its sitting on my porch now.
          Simon

Comment

LOL just like that cat somebody on beyond posted about that shiz was gross

Comment

Simon, that is awesome! You need to take the car apart so we can see some pictures of it misting!

I would have put a switchable "T" instead of plugging the rear sprayer. So you could switch it to "IC" in the summer and "Rear" in the winter.

Ghetto Concepts strikes again.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                Simon, that is awesome! You need to take the car apart so we can see some pictures of it misting!

I would have put a switchable "T" instead of plugging the rear sprayer. So you could switch it to "IC" in the summer and "Rear" in the winter.

Ghetto Concepts strikes again.
                Thanks man! I tried to get a picture of the spray pattern but my camera's batteries died. I'm going to change to a 180° tip when the shops open again so I'll take a picture then.

And I think I will probably do a T-Fitting like you said, right now its really easy to switch between them, just slide one off, slide the other one off. But a switchable system would look pretty BOSS.
                Simon

Comment

Wicked stuff! I think Im gonna do this too... but I gotta buy an extra bottle to hold the water. Hmmmm anyone up for a group mister mod this weekend?
                  2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

Nice mod. I thought my Dad was the only person in the world with that prehistoric drill.

You may be able to get a T fitting with a valve to switch between IC and rear wiper at an aquarium store. Then you could switch it as the seasons require. Just a thought.

Andrew
                    www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

OK, so great that you can mist your intercooler now, but I presume it is by pressing the washer stalk forward, and holding....The problem I see with this is now you are scraping your wiper against a dry (possibly dirty) rear window, therefore risking those pesky scratches......have you considered how to get around this? Unplug the rear wiper motor (I still use mine in the rain every now and then, so not good for me...)... It may be a little more work, but perhaps a seperate small washer resevoir, from some car in the scrapyard, with its own motor, simple wiring to a little monetary switch (like the guy on Vortex)..That would be my choice.....good on ya for doing it though, would be nice to hear how much diff it makes..
                      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMedic
                        OK, so great that you can mist your intercooler now, but I presume it is by pressing the washer stalk forward, and holding....The problem I see with this is now you are scraping your wiper against a dry (possibly dirty) rear window, therefore risking those pesky scratches......have you considered how to get around this? Unplug the rear wiper motor (I still use mine in the rain every now and then, so not good for me...)... It may be a little more work, but perhaps a seperate small washer resevoir, from some car in the scrapyard, with its own motor, simple wiring to a little monetary switch (like the guy on Vortex)..That would be my choice.....good on ya for doing it though, would be nice to hear how much diff it makes..
                        yah, i'm researching the best alternative right now. i dont think scratching is that big a deal as my car is never really dirty... but i know it looks stupid when i do have my wiper going when its not raining. I could do a seperate reservoir with pump and extra switch, but this is $3 mod that took me an hour to do. That would require more money and more time, I'll probably unplug the motor in the back of the hatch for the summer.

Originally posted by gaffer
                        Nice mod. I thought my Dad was the only person in the world with that prehistoric drill.

Andrew
                        I'm glad someone finally noticed that! Ghetto concepts does everything ghetto, if you look at the first pic, my buddy actually has a wood-saw too. We figured it'd be a good laugh. To use ancient tools, it fit the $3 theme.
                        Last edited by Simon; 05-24-2004, 05:21 PM.
                        Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                          I'm glad someone finally noticed that! Ghetto concepts does everything ghetto, if you look at the first pic, my buddy actually has a wood-saw too. We figured it'd be a good laugh. To use ancient tools, it fit the $3 theme.
                          Not so much ghetto, but more like Amish. Now go raise a barn.

Andrew
                          www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

Went and bought a 180° mister today and switched it over, also ordered a switchable Y-connection so i can switch between rear and front mist.

Last edited by Simon; 05-25-2004, 07:13 PM.
                            Simon

Comment

Working...
                            X