Volkswagen "D" Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volkswagen "D" Service

OK, so while booking an oil change today at Northland, they tell me I'm due for my 64k "D" service. Well, this service costs about $400 +tax!!!!

Looking over what this D service includes, I thought most of it was pretty fluffy and I don't want to pay this much for what I see as unecsassary or what I do myself on a regular basis anyways. Most of the stuff on the list doesnt even apply to my car anymore ie) tire rotation, tire pressure, brake service etc. All I want to do is change the oil, filters, and plugs. But I'm wondering how skipping the "D service will (if at all) affect my warranty? Any thoughts?

Just so you see what I'm talking about, here's what the D service includes:

Replace engine oil & filter
    Inspect Tires and pressure
    Inspect internal belts
    Inspect engine compartment & hoses
    Inspect fluid levels
    Inspect lights
    Inspect undercarriage
    Lubricate doors & hinges
    Check auto trans shift lock
    Inspect brakes
    Inspect for engine leaks
    inspect exhaust
    Replace spark plugs
    Inspect battery
    Replace pollen filter
    Inspect transmission
    Inspect drive shaft & cv joints
    Check for fault codes
    inspect steering & suspension
    Adjust headlights
    Rotate & balance tires
    Replace air filter
    Check belt tension
    Road test
    Derick

Re: Volkswagen "D" Service

I would go and speak to the service manager, and say, look it doesn't apply any more.

I would think you need most of this though.
    Nick
    There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Smartiepants

I would think you need most of this though.

I agree just tell them not to rotate your tires.

Comment

Headlights since yours are e-codes, I dunno if they'd touch non-OEM stuff. So that takes out exhaust as well?. Fluids are easily checked by yourself, you dont need to lubricate your doors if they dont sqeek, and if they do, lubricate yourself. Spark plugs are an easy 3 minute mod you can check/do yourself. Check battery? Canadian-Tire can do that for free. Your tires/wheels are brand new and dont need any inspecting.

So you don't need any of these:
        Originally posted by C-town Driver
        Inspect fluid levels
        Inspect lights
        Inspect undercarriage
        Lubricate doors & hinges
        Inspect exhaust
        Replace spark plugs
        Inspect battery
        Replace pollen filter
        Check for fault codes
        Adjust headlights
        Rotate & balance tires
        Replace air filter
        Road test
        Last edited by Simon; 06-01-2004, 05:55 PM.
        Simon

Comment

Yeah, these are the items I was thinking of doing. An even with these, I was thinking of just buying the spark plugs and doing them myself.

Replace engine oil & filter
          Inspect internal belts
          Inspect engine compartment & hoses

Inspect fluid levels
          Inspect lights
          Inspect undercarriage
          Lubricate doors & hinges
          Check auto trans shift lock
          Inspect brakes
          Inspect for engine leaks
          inspect exhaust
          Replace spark plugs
          Inspect battery
          Replace pollen filter
          Inspect transmission
          Inspect drive shaft & cv joints
          Check for fault codes
          inspect steering & suspension
          Adjust headlights
          Rotate & balance tires
          Replace air filter
          Check belt tension
          Road test
          Derick

Comment

I do A services only. As long as you change your oil, the powertrain warranty is valid. You can change filters and check fluids yourself. I pay about 80 bucks for a 5/40 change.

Khyron
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I dunno, I think its not a bad idea to have them do most of it, if they do it and something goes wrong then you have only them to blame.
              Nick
              There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

yea derick my 32k today pretty much has all that crap.. nothing squeaks so skip it, i can change my own pollen filter, i know my suspension is fine, i know my fluids are fine because i check them on my own, my brakes i could care less about cuz they are going out the window this summer and i can scan my own codes with my vagcom and yours as well

and besides alot of the stuff on that list they are supposed to do at every service
                ie.. lube stuff, fill fluids, check under carriage,etc! its a ripoff..
                no point in having them look at aftermarket stuff to say hey this isn't original so its bad for your car and your warranty is void on this stuff now.. bah end rant

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                  I do A services only. As long as you change your oil, the powertrain warranty is valid. You can change filters and check fluids yourself. I pay about 80 bucks for a 5/40 change.

Khyron
                  That's exactly what I've been waiting to hear! I think I will go ahead with just the A service and also buy spark plugs to change myself. The only thing is that they told me that most of the cost for a D service is for parts (ie. spark plugs) and that they make hardly anything on labour. WTF? I didn't realize our cars had $300 spark plugs
                  Derick

Comment

That's exactly what I've been waiting to hear! I think I will go ahead with just the A service and also buy spark plugs to change myself. The only thing is that they told me that most of the cost for a D service is for parts (ie. spark plugs) and that they make hardly anything on labour. WTF? I didn't realize our cars had $300 spark plugs
                    haha $11 for 4 plugs at NAPA and free install if you borrow someones gapper.
                    Simon

Comment

derick don't forget the syn 5w40 oil is 10/L!! oh well

Comment

Inspect inspect inspect crap.....I don't need a VW tech to inspect my lights.....or my brakes.....or really anything else for that matter.....I looked at the services, and thought what a ripoff, and decided I'm never doing it...My dad is a heavy duty mechanic aswell, so everything else is done on our own too, ie clutches, timing belts, hell even full on engine swaps....I can spend my 500 bux on something else
                        2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                        2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                        2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

I'm due for that service too. Its about $250 of parts, and 3 hours of labour. Spark plugs are $26 a pop at the dealer. If you get your own parts elsewhere, and bring them to the dealer, you can easily save $100 off the service. I'm temptede to just do it, since I'd like to retain my powertrain warranty.

Comment

i think my warranty is pretty much done lol

Comment

Working...
                            X