Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Ram Intakes

Who uses one, and how do you like it?

I know Alex (turbo medic) has had good things to say about his euro sport.
    2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Re: Short Ram Intakes

Originally posted by KLOBIONEKINOBI

There are some weird ones on TMTuning's site.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

FWIW, I have a DIY 3" Ractive cone intake on my car, which is more or less (but probably less ) equal to a run of the mill short ram....to be honest, if they had a CAI for my car (which I know they do for VW's) I'd get one instead (more gains to be had, as my intake is literally right next to my catalytic converter and my turbo)....I actually did it mostly for the sound (so I can hear my DV and actually hear my little K03 spin) and throttle response had a very placebo-like improvement. Depending how restrictive the stock air box is on your car (and if its turbo or NA) there may be little to no gains....supposedly the stock air box on my car is fine up to 300hp, but where's the fun in that?

With a short ram, its all about keeping the fresh air duct to the intake and heat shielding, heat shielding, heat shielding........ even after a spirited run, the intake pipe and filter are cool to the touch, but, in stop and go traffic, heat soak is definitely evident (without fresh air flowing over it, it gets real HOT, real quick under my hood)

Comment

Yeah, the advantage to my eurosport is the large heat sheild that virtually all but seperates the filter from the engine compartment.....that was before my mild mods to make my SS work properly underneath it....
        2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
        2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
        2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Install on a short ram would be a lot easier than cai. But heat soak is already horrible on my car. Thats my biggest worry.

I know power gains are minimal with any intake, just lookin for a bit more noise.
          2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

Install on a short ram would be a lot easier than cai. But heat soak is already horrible on my car. Thats my biggest worry.

I know power gains are minimal with any intake, just lookin for a bit more noise.
            Honestly the CAI doesn't really take very long.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

doesn't gain you much either in a forced induction car...
              2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
              2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
              2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

doesn't gain you much either in a forced induction car...

Comment

I have a p-flo that I bought for cheap
                  Nick
                  There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                  --Albert Einstein

Comment

I had a p-flow on my old VR6. Sounded nice, but once the engine bay heated up, there was a noticeable drop in power. No heat shield btw.
                    2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

I am running a Viper intake, that is a carbon fibre pipercross foam cone filter. Then the system has piping which can be routed to your lower bumper ducts or where ever you like. The sound is fantastic and I have no warming issues but I am only a little old VR6
                      Blair
                      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

But not much difference in noise.

Khyron
                        Geoff
                        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

*chant* Pipe er cross....Pipe er cross

Don't make me look for the website!! Sure it's not a short ram, but it's so much more.
                          Jay

Comment

If your worried about heatsoak... put a full CAI and then dump in a BAD A$$ FMIC in tha bumper and your set..... I love my UPsolute FMIC not one bit of heatsoak even in this hot crap we are having
                            Dale Willimus

Comment

Would love a good fmic. Just dont want to dish out the $. Cuz I am a cheap ba$trd, ya know.

Ah, might have to loosen the purse strings if this heat keeps up.
                              2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

Working...
                              X