Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust install done: good, bad, ugly (info)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust install done: good, bad, ugly (info)

The Good:
    So I had my exhaust done now, the Brullen 2.5DP and the SS catback, love the system so far!! The DP Definitely made a difference, spool time is drastically decreased, and the power has smoothed out (It would feel hesitant and like it was misfiring under long hard loads before...), and has also increased by my butt dyno.....The sound of the SS is nice, sounds very deep on takeoff, and I don't notice it at all when I'm driving partial load (highway or city), no drone, and it screams when you play at WOT to redline!

The Bad:
    I went to Apollo Muffler in Bowness (yay!), and was treated ok, I guess.....The guy there wasn't too keen on aftermarket, kept saying it wasn't gonna run right, and on and on......I had a recommendation for this place, and the owner was a good guy, so I went ahead......I come back after, and check the car out on the lift with the new exhaust on, and it looks good, so I think! Painful experience avoided, right?? Wrong.......He wouldn't give me a receipt (so as to avoid me coming back when there are problems, surprise), and so when one of the joints leaked, he wouldn't repair it!! I went to the stealership to get a new clamp, and figgin VW wants $70 bux for an exhaust clamp (!!!!)....needless to say I avoided it, and changed plans......

More Good:
    I considered my options, and decided to get another opinion from another shop, in this case I went to Crowfoot Muffler.....I must say, I am now Hugely impressed by these guys, the guy at the counter was super friendly, fair, and I was in on EVERYTHING that had to happen, up front quote, reasonable price, and best of all very aftermarket system friendly...I got the leak fixed, and they also fixed the DP rubbing the heat shield for the steering rack......I would recommend these guys to anyone, they do custom 3" systems, and they deal with a number of Calgary area auto clubs (mustang club, 4X4 club).....He even mentioned they just did an Audi A6 with 500km on the clock, complete 3" system, performance all new exactly how the guy wanted it!

The Ugly:
    Apollo muffler in Bowness........Never ever ever ever go there, I'm avoiding ALL apollo mufflers from now on....
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Re: Exhaust install done: good, bad, ugly (info)

Glad to hear you're happy dude...Mind sharing the cost of the system? Just the piping is what Im wondering about!
    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
    -james

Comment

I stand by Apollo Muffler on MacLeod. Please note: Apollo Mufflers have different owners, policies and management. I've never had a problem with the one on MacLeod and they've done four exhausts for me.

Post some $$$'s so we can see how the two lined up. Edit -- I'm glad it all worked out for you man. Let's see some dyno numbers now :P
      -- Mark --
      I want my VW to be fast.
      2001 Blue Lagoon Jetta GLS 1.8T
      Terrorists suck!

Comment

How loud/quiet is the exhaust at 120km/hr?

This was the WORST speed (~3100rpm) for me with regards to drone...and is the main reason I sold my cat back.
        Last edited by Flanders; 11-04-2004, 05:53 PM.
        1.8T
        Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Virtually silent, 3500+ it gets buzzy on the throttle, but as soon as you start cruising its quiet!
          2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
          2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
          2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

The Ugly:
            Apollo muffler in Bowness........Never ever ever ever go there, I'm avoiding ALL apollo mufflers from now on....
            Sooo, when would it be OK to shop at Apollo mufflers?

Comment

Originally posted by VWfolyfe
              Sooo, when would it be OK to shop at Apollo mufflers?
              when a hucklebuck owns it

Comment

You two should be banned....stop polluting my actually informative thread....I mean it

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMedic
                  You two should be banned....stop polluting my actually informative thread....I mean it
                  I think they own srt-4's.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                    I think they own srt-4's.
                    Speaking of which..I was driving down the street today and I decided " I think Ill roll down my rear windows from my drivers seat"....so I did it.
                    Last edited by James; 11-05-2004, 09:26 AM.
                    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                    -james

Comment

Working...
                    X