Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APR downpipe

Hey guys,

So who has the apr downpipe (2.5")? And what does everyone think about it in terms of performance, price and quality?

Thanks,
    Eric.
    Eric
    2002 Jetta 1.8T, Black

Re: APR downpipe

DP's a DP isn't it? Just a pipe with a high flow cat....I think Aly has one (cedrick).....
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMedic
      DP's a DP isn't it? Just a pipe with a high flow cat....I think Aly has one (cedrick).....
      Yes I agree exhausts in general are very simple and so most should be very similar. The downpipe is just a pipe, its not even really bendy or anything. The biggest difference is going to be just getting rid of the stock one, there won't be huge differences between alternates since they will be the same diameter, shape, and generally use the same materials.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

the flex pipe is in a different location on the APR pipe, isn't it?

Not sure how much it matters, but that's about the only diff.
        1.8T
        Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

I have noticed that on some cheaper DP's (ie: Ebay) the flange to the flex transition pipe is much narrower than 2.5", but the rest is 2.5"....You want to make sure you avoid the "toilet bowl" looking flanges....you want straight pipe all the way through....Not saying APR is the case, but just a point to add to the "pipe is a pipe" argument....
          2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
          2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
          2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

hey all,

so i got the apr 2.5" downpipe installed on the weekend. mated with the ghl catback, the sound is amazing. a lot louder now during acceleration but still quiet during cruising.

one thing i noticed is that there is a rattling that comes from the downpipe upon accelerating (typically through 1st and 2nd). i had already installed powerflex motor mounts, so i'm not sure what to do now. any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
            eric.
            Eric
            2002 Jetta 1.8T, Black

Comment

no idea, motor mounts fixed my rubbing no prob...of course at that point I had already beat the crap out of the heat shield on the steering rack....

Comment

thanks for the advice, i'll give it a week to settle in maybe before i look into the heat shield and the steering rack for the rattles.
                Eric
                2002 Jetta 1.8T, Black

Comment

so are you guys saying that a downpipes (aftermarket) dont do much of anyhting..................or that any aftermarket one is better than stock?
                  2000 Jetta 1.8t
                  New to VW's.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon24
                    so are you guys saying that a downpipes (aftermarket) dont do much of anyhting..................or that any aftermarket one is better than stock?
                    On the 1.8T it does make some difference, but most aftermarket ones are the same.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

ic ic thanks for clearing that up
                      2000 Jetta 1.8t
                      New to VW's.

Comment

I thought it made the most difference in terms of power next to the chip....

Comment

Here's how I see it...

Its not so much the mods as the order of the mods that dictates their effectiveness. There is a pool of untapped power that you are drawing upon. If you have already emptied a lot out of the pool, there is less remaining for your next mod. This causes a type of diminishing returns from each mod. So you can't really say for sure what is most effective or put a number on what kind of power output increase you will see.

For example, a chip might net you 20 hp as your first mod. Then an exhaust might get you another 10 hp. However, if you did the exhaust first, you might see 15 hp from it, and then doing the chip would get you 15hp. Why did doing the exhaust after the chip yeild a smaller gain? Why did doing the chip after the exhaust yeild a smaller gain? Its because the power that the engine is capable of making was released already by whatever you did first.

I believe that some people on vortex have done a downpipe very early, and so were really impressed with the difference. However, if you have a chip and a cat-back, you aren't as likely to feel it.

In theory a larger downpipe is a very good addition though, since it will help the exhaust side of the turbo immensely (I am not denying this).

What then is the most effective mod strategy? I think the best strategy is to look at how much of the "untapped power" remaining in the engine each mod is going to release, then do them in order of cost-effectiveness (cheapest first). This generally will mean you should get chipped first, and get a cost-effective chip. Then work on your exhaust and/or downpipe. These two things really will get you to 90% of the maximum potential of the engine with bolt-on mods. Everything else is going to be tiny gains for increasing amounts of money, and you should think carefully before you invest more.
                          Last edited by Kor; 01-11-2005, 01:35 AM.
                          KR
                          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

to throw my 2 cents in...

Originally posted by Kor
                            I believe that some people on vortex have done a downpipe very early, and so were really impressed with the difference. However, if you have a chip and a cat-back, you aren't as likely to feel it.
                            I somewhat disagree
                            I had a cat-back first (on stock 150hp 1.8T) and didn't notice any gains. Dyno showed *maybe* 2hp gains, which is negligable (i did back to back runs in the same day before and after the install). I then got chipped, and WHOAH. I then got a downpipe, and WHOAH (not quite chip WHOAH, but things sure did come on faster and smoother than before). Then I got rid of my cat-back, and I lost a bit of oomph. Just enough to notice. Then I got my forge TIP and WHOAH the power was back.

how's that for technical?

Great adivce though --
                            1.8T
                            Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Working...
                            X