my car exploded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my car exploded

Ok not quite BOOM, but its got issues. Its a 2000 jetta tdi, 75,000kms, about 4 days ago it went into limp mode (i need a purple pill) It will rev fine until its in gear, then rev up to about 2000rpm. Once it hits about 2000 it starts surging and belching out gobs of smoke. The snow screen and air filter are good. I drained the fuel filter and two days ago it was full of sludge, did it again yesterday and it was almost clear (a lot clearer than diesel). And its not throwing any cel.

Any thoughts before I go to the dealer and bend over the counter for them?
    The world has but three sports, Bullfighting, Mountain Climbing, and Motor Racing. All the rest are merely games - Ernest Hemingway.

Re: my car exploded

Maybe ice in the fuel sending unit? Sounds like what my car was doing when the fuel sending unit was cracked from the accident. Just pull up the rear passenger side seat and the access is right there. Also go do a search on the TDIclub (which I am sure you have) as I have heard about some cold weather issues like that.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I tried tdi club but the ice in the sending unit is new, i'll check it out, thanks.

Now to find somewhere warm to play with the car.
      The world has but three sports, Bullfighting, Mountain Climbing, and Motor Racing. All the rest are merely games - Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by nephilim
        I tried tdi club but the ice in the sending unit is new, i'll check it out, thanks.

Now to find somewhere warm to play with the car.
        If you can make it into the NE at my work I can give you a hand.
        Edit: was just thinking, have you seen your coolant temp act weird lately? you may have a bad sensor that is not turning the glowplugs on. That ro you may have geled fuel but it is not really all that cold out .
        Last edited by Stonewall; 12-21-2004, 02:14 PM.
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I'm in Edmonton so popping by might be tough, but thanks for the offer. If my glowplugs arent turning on am I running on only 3 pistons? Havent seen any coolant acting funny. I may have gotten a bad tank of diesel with some water in it, butit hasnt been consistently cold enough to worry about gelling (unless the gas station is still on a tank of summer diesel.

Comment

Replace your fuel filter if you have black goo coming out of it and put in some fuel aditive (stanadine) Does it have much power? Can you you here the turbo?

Comment

Fixed my car -

Turns out that when I replaced the fuel filter with a bosch one from crappy tire they didnt include new washers for the fuel return line. I picked some up from the dealer and i seemed to work wonders.

Go figure,

Thanks for all the good advice ( i now know where my fuel sender is )

Comment

Originally posted by nephilim
                Fixed my car -

Turns out that when I replaced the fuel filter with a bosch one from crappy tire they didnt include new washers for the fuel return line. I picked some up from the dealer and i seemed to work wonders.

Go figure,

Thanks for all the good advice ( i now know where my fuel sender is )
                Ahh you had an air leak due to a leaky T. I should have know that :( Had problems with my aftermarket CAT fuel filter with the same type problem

Comment

Working...
                X