Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor TDi would not start

hmmm first time ever.....
    Had it in for my 64k service yesterday at South Center, they washed the motor?
    This morning ...sitting out all night.... would not start... it wanted to so bad but would just die.... have a feeling it's condensation or something.... sheesh...poor baby...
    Looks like I might have to get it towed in.....
    arghhhhhhhhhh
    Steve
    2002 Golf TDi
    Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.

Re: Poor TDi would not start

it was extra cold this morning too......that always sucks...
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Thats no good.

Comment

mine little trouble starting this morning, but it smoked really black for the first few seconds, just like that other day on the weekend when it was really cold and it sat overnight... but never has it not started yet, if its hard, i just hold the key a while and let the battery do the work until i think it can run on its own...
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

I feel for you Steve, I liet my car sit for 3 days over Christmas and I had to jump it to get it going after cranking it way longer then I would have liked. You need to install a coolant heater like the one I have, the car startedc like a dream this morning. The wife likes it even more as she gets heat in there faster. If you want to put one in I still have some coolant left over and a warm spot to work so let me know, shouldn't take more then 2hrs or so to put in if we take our time
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

see, when you start "spoiling" your car like that, thats when it gets worse i never ever plugged it in before, it always started. once it ran like at 400rpm on two cylinders probably for a good minute before it got up, but it ran! i just put a good dose of additive in, and so far so good. we'll see when the day comes it will not start... if ever.
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
              I feel for you Steve, I liet my car sit for 3 days over Christmas and I had to jump it to get it going after cranking it way longer then I would have liked. You need to install a coolant heater like the one I have, the car startedc like a dream this morning. The wife likes it even more as she gets heat in there faster. If you want to put one in I still have some coolant left over and a warm spot to work so let me know, shouldn't take more then 2hrs or so to put in if we take our time
              Where did you get the heater? How much?
              I hope I can get it stated when I get home, or it's a tow into South Center from Okotoks....ouch!!!
              Steve
              2002 Golf TDi
              Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.

Comment

another thing you can do is the following:

park on hills, if it wont start, put it into 2nd gear, clutch in, turn the key, and let it roll, at about 20km/h, slowly let it out, it'll start!

good luck!
                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Brent, is that a zerostat heater?? I've been meaning to find one of those.....
                  2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                  2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                  2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Is there a temperature warning light that comes on when its too cold out side? I started my car after work and the temp light came on for a 15 sec or so.

Comment

you mean the glow plug light!? you're supposed to start crank there car only once that light shuts off....

I WILL LAUGH MY ASS OFF IF PEOPLE TRIED STARTING THEIR CAR WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THAT LIGHT MEANS.

even in the summer time on cool days if you try cranking right away (my dad did this) it wouldnt start, he was like wtf. HA HA
                      2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                      2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB
                        Is there a temperature warning light that comes on when its too cold out side? I started my car after work and the temp light came on for a 15 sec or so.
                        Temp light? you mean the light that looks like a little coil? Umm that is your glow plug indicator...
                        Alex it is a zerostart heater that I installed. I got mine at crappy tire, the shelf said $65 but it was like $50 when I paid. I am not sure how they would install in a 1.8T as tehy have to sit really low so the heat can rise up into the engine but I am sure something can be figured out.
                        Name: Brent
                        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Hey I'm a lurker and occasional poster with an oil burner too.

The Zerostart 1000 w tank heater is on sale right now at Crappy Tire!! for about $52!!

Could not live w/o it!!!!!

If this ugly link doesn't work try www.canadiantire.ca then click on the e-flyer link.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...romSearch=true

sale ends tommorow I think!!!!!

Comment

um..wow...temperature warning light....no further comment

Comment

hahah ya....That light comes on every day in my car, hot days it just flashes but when its cold like this, I just leave it until the "dings" stop

Yesterday was a good 20seconds of glow-plug heating after work...and she coughed black smoke for 5 mins hah
                              REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                              -james

Comment

Working...
                              X