Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight Flywheel Questions....

Hey Guys,
    My stock clutch is getting ready to be replaced....well actually there's nothing really wrong with it, but a common issue with my gen A4 is the stupid throwout or release bearing begins to "honk" when you're starting to get going or coasting at low speeds (no difference whether or not the clutch is engaged or not).....

So, given that I am not exactly gifted with tons of $$$, I've been looking at the cheapest available performance replacement --- C1 has the Sachs VR6 clutch mated to an Autotech (10lb) flywheel. I've heard the bigger VR6 clutch is of course stronger, but to match it I need either a lightened flywheel or the VR6 flywheel in any case. But why would I replace my flywheel with another heavy stock one?

Lurking on the Audi forums, I've heard many opinions like 10lbs is too light, you'll get a lot of chatter, etc.....most of those guys run 16-18lb flywheels...that's only like 2lbs lighter than stock! Anyone here running the Autotech flywheel??? Any impressions (good/bad)?? Would you do it again given the choice??

Thanks in advance guys!

Re: Lightweight Flywheel Questions....

I have the OEM vr6 sachs clutch and 10lb autotech flywheel from Concept1 and I'm really enjoying it. Havent noticed any chatter whatsoever, and you notice the revs climb and drop alot faster. two thumbs up from me
    Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
      I have the OEM vr6 sachs clutch and 10lb autotech flywheel from Concept1 and I'm really enjoying it. Havent noticed any chatter whatsoever, and you notice the revs climb and drop alot faster. two thumbs up from me
      I use this same setup on my beast and it hold's the power no problem. I think this is the best swap that you can do.. and its not crazy priced..
      EURODYNE
      01 Gti awd 2L 20V HTA3582 11.4@124 best mph 128.25
      04 R32T 6266
      Tow machine 2011 F350 DRW 6.7

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbo
        I use this same setup on my beast and it hold's the power no problem. I think this is the best swap that you can do.. and its not crazy priced..

No doubt! Well I'm glad to hear I'm heading in the right direction...!

Even at C1's listed price on the website, its 300.00 less to get an aftermarket clutch and flywheel combo thru them than it is through the stealership (well of course, but even so, this is how I'm justifying it to myself!).....

So no issues with noise or excessive vibration right? That's just what some of the audiworld guys complain about....but they're a weird crowd....! (That's why I'm here!)

EDIT: Oh and how much would I be looking at for install??
        Last edited by BadKenny; 01-16-2005, 04:45 AM.

Comment

I can honestly tell you that I have had no chatter/vibration at all. This is after all a stock OEM clutch, with a lightened flywheel. It's not some 8puck racing clutch. I believe it's about $1000 installed, +/- a hundred or so for the clutch and flywheel on a mk4 1.8t. Might be more on an audi though.
          Simon

Comment

Originally posted by BadKenny
            No doubt! Well I'm glad to hear I'm heading in the right direction...!

Even at C1's listed price on the website, its 300.00 less to get an aftermarket clutch and flywheel combo thru them than it is through the stealership (well of course, but even so, this is how I'm justifying it to myself!).....

So no issues with noise or excessive vibration right? That's just what some of the audiworld guys complain about....but they're a weird crowd....! (That's why I'm here!)

EDIT: Oh and how much would I be looking at for install??
            Im not sure how much on the install cause I do all my own work..
            EURODYNE
            01 Gti awd 2L 20V HTA3582 11.4@124 best mph 128.25
            04 R32T 6266
            Tow machine 2011 F350 DRW 6.7

Comment

you're looking at $300 for install on a mk4
              Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                you're looking at $300 for install on a mk4
                Sounds about right....maybe a touch more for mine, maybe a little less....Not having worked on my own transmission, I don't know if it takes longer or shorter to get that changed on a longitudinal-mounted engine (the Passat and A4 are set up the same).....

So basically as long as I have between $1000 and $1200 I should be safe....

Comment

where you planning on getting it installed? i pm'ed you with some info...
                  2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                  2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

You can usually save some $$$ by looking at the GB's on the vortex for clutch setups, I've seen a few significantly cheaper than C1 and stuff......
                    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

I recently replaced the clutch and flywheel on my A4, (had LWFW before, and just needed one part resurfaced) The whole job ended up costing me close to 1500 including install, Clutch, Slave Cylinder, Bearings, and Flywheel part. I ended up going with the Werks of Art stage 3 Clutch, which is fairly pricey, but it is made strictly for the A4, and needs to hold approx 300hp..
                      I dont notice the chatter with my car, I have heard it is much worse with Spec clutches.. not sure about others

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi
                        I recently replaced the clutch and flywheel on my A4, (had LWFW before, and just needed one part resurfaced) The whole job ended up costing me close to 1500 including install, Clutch, Slave Cylinder, Bearings, and Flywheel part. I ended up going with the Werks of Art stage 3 Clutch, which is fairly pricey, but it is made strictly for the A4, and needs to hold approx 300hp..
                        I dont notice the chatter with my car, I have heard it is much worse with Spec clutches.. not sure about others

Wow that sounds sweet....

I have the cursed squeaky clutch pedal issue, tried greasing it, etc. but to no avail....the Audiworld archives say to replace the master and slave cylinder....is that why you replaced yours?

Comment

My Cylinder was cracked, so it had to be replaced....Clutch and Slave went at the same time, so it stranded me, and I had to wait for 5 hours for a tow truck! (In Claresholm, going to Lethbridge)

Comment

Mine squeeks too. Is this a sign of any kinda failure?
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

my clutch clicks when you depress it but i think they all do that.. i think lol it grabs fine and does the job

Comment

Working...
                              X