Wheel Dillema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Dillema

Doh! I phoned AB wheel repair about having the lips on my wheels repolished so they look like chrome basically (or my manifold )
    and i said they are currently clearcoated and 1 wheel has skin rash lol and the clearcoat took a rock and has a chip in it now..
    the woman on the phone said to do it they have to strip the clearcoat off the entire wheels then polish and respray them????
    well i kinda want to do my centres in black magic pearl with polished lips but I don't know if they can even do that for me with custom paint.
    But seriously couldn't i just take a rag and some paint thinner and be careful and wipe it around my lips and it should strip the clear coat off then go nuts with polshing compound and a dremel w/pad or a hella small buffer..

makes sense to me no?

Re: Wheel Dillema

Well taking clearcoat off is a very difficult thing and it does not come off that easily. For them I would imagine the use a chemical process and it would be much easier to dip the whole wheel (multipiece would be different) then do the lip only. If you were going to do it yourself it would be less work to just do the lip but it could still take you a large amount of time and you may still damage the clearcoat on the centers as well. I am really a big fan of colour matched centers these days (which does not help you as reflex silver does not much) however I think they should be able to get the centers painted BMP and the lips polished, that would be very nice in my opinion!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

The clearcoat on rims is nothing like normal autobody clearcoat so just bit the bullet and get AWR to do it. You do know that if you paint them BMP they have to go on my car though right?
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Or, you can stop this RH nonsense and just get some real wheels. You know which ones I'm talking about
        Derick

Comment

I Can't F@ckin Buy New Wheels Until I Sell This F@ckin Ones God Damnit

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
            I Can't F@ckin Buy New Wheels Until I Sell This F@ckin Ones God Damnit
            LOL, I knew that would get a rise outta ya Seriously though, I don't think you want to be messing with removing clearcoat and stuff. How much is AWR asking?
            Derick

Comment

the woman guessed 110/wheel just for doing the lips.. i'll probably just leave them for now and after wow then take them and get rudys to make me a tub of BMP and take it to AB wheel adn have them do it up.. and shell out like 800 bucks for an upgraded look lol

Comment

That seems like quit a lot! I was thinking 50-60 each. Maybe you can bargain with them. Or threaten them, or something...
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                  That seems like quit a lot! I was thinking 50-60 each. Maybe you can bargain with them. Or threaten them, or something...
                  Haha, I like the Threats idea. Maybe I should do that with my lights! But I won't jack the thread.
                  Jay

Comment

Yeah, clear coat does not dissolve in thinners like laquer paint will, its designed to be that tough....That being said, thinner will soften it and allow it to be scrapeable, but you're asking for a whole lotta mess (especially because the lips and the center will all have to be done..)
                    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Working...
                    X