My ignition problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ignition problem.

Well, after replacing coil packs, spark plugs, some more spark plugs (after the replaced ones had the electrodes burn out of them), dialing boost and timing to sub stock levels with the SPS-3 I have finally solved my jerking/bucking/CEL/misfire/crap idle issue. It involved none of the above.

I removed the ground wire kit and >poof< problem gone.

I then replaced the plugs again with some fresh ones and it just got better.

Upon inspecting the wires I found no traces of cracking or wear, although the shielding was quite warped and discolored on the wires near the turbo (duh), and after removal one of the connectors popped off, but it seemed solid when it was attached.

Tomorrow I jack the boost back up from 12-13-ish psi to.. well.. a lot more, and continue my regularly scheduled program of driving like a crazed retard.

Re: My ignition problem.

One of the ground wires *must* have been shorting something. Either that, or when you were disconnecting the wires, you bumped a connector back into place?

Not trying to stir the sheit, but there's no way the extra ground wires could cause those problems -- unless they weren't grounded themselves!

Glad to hear it's all fixed though!
    1.8T
    Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Re: My ignition problem.

That is just what I thought, Flanders. I inspected the installation thoroughly when I got the notion to rip it out. The install looked solid, and the 'loop' looked good.

I may break out the multimeter and see if there was degradation in the wire due to heat. Or perhaps the mount points on the firewall had limited conductivity due to the paint?

I'm school girl giddy with being about to pull off HB1 T6 on Mohawk 94. Torque steer in third! Woo hoo!

Comment

Working...
      X