EGR modification and maintenance + boost spikes cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR modification and maintenance + boost spikes cure

Anyhow, I have never hated my MK4 TDI so much in my life. VW and SFC drive me absolutely CRAZY. With the load of b.s. from SFC I think I have enough. SFC offered me absolutely no solution but want more of my money with another hand in my pocket. Indeed, they keep selling me their sophisticate ‘BG’ EGR cleaning package(cost about $600.00CAD). So, is that like I should come for every two years to do that job? They said it sounds right. What? What a load of crap from their big mouths? Buying a TDI suppose to be cheap out or politely say is to reduce load on your pocket. Why does the maintenance cost just like a regular gasoline car? Looks like I am venting here. Hehe…

Here is my solution for the future angry TDI owners like me. In order to stop the engine coking you have to stop either one or the other. Ideally is to stop both exhaust gas and the oil mist coming from CCV. I chose to stop the exhaust gas first by placing a shield over the exhaust cooler and underneath the EGR. This will retain the functionality of the EGR without any fault trigger to the CEL. To remove those units out is very easy. Yet, I still hurt three of my fingers. Since I took everything out, I will give them a clean. Then put the shields in place which I made from some metal from Home Depot. Make sure they are thick enough for taking up the heat from the exhaust cooler. A shop-vac should be running on the side to vacuum the carbon out from the intake.

The result is night and day. The carbon buildup was reducing the performance of my engine. After the cleanup I can tell my turbo howling pretty loud just like Simon L.’s car before the test drive of Upsolute chip I installed. A new effect or I must say this is a benefit after the shields installation was the boost spikes were gone. Before it will normally spikes to 28 PSI and holding 18~22 PSI. Now is holding 22 PSI in third gear with no spike more than that. The engine output is different.

P.S. This mod is environmentally unfriendly because it makes the car emit more unwanted gas. I am not a GREEN guy either and I hate the EGR acting up.

Thanks for viewing
    Attached Files

Re: EGR modification and maintenance + boost spikes cure

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Cool mod, i see this carbon problem every day on TDi's. You can also use the scan tool (vag com) to change the egr timing (amount the egr is open) to slow down the carbon problem. I'm sure they wouldn't tell you that, if anyone needs the codes to do it let me know. I have also seen the breather tube going to the intake removed and put into a "drip container" which works as well. By the way at the last meeting i was at one of the dealers (i shouldn't say the name) was boasting how this bg system is making them HUGE money on all these services they provide.

Comment

I had to do the same thing on my Eagle Talon, but not for carbon, idle stability.....It would idle when cold, but not when warm.....putting a plate over it cleared that problem up! Very neat write up, glad it helped!
            2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
            2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
            2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby
              Cool mod, i see this carbon problem every day on TDi's. You can also use the scan tool (vag com) to change the egr timing (amount the egr is open) to slow down the carbon problem. I'm sure they wouldn't tell you that, if anyone needs the codes to do it let me know. I have also seen the breather tube going to the intake removed and put into a "drip container" which works as well. By the way at the last meeting i was at one of the dealers (i shouldn't say the name) was boasting how this bg system is making them HUGE money on all these services they provide.
              I have done the Vag Com setting for loads of cars, well worth doing asap on TDi's. I also run a catch can as we do get a huge amount of blow by. Incidentally the catch can seemed to improve smoke quite considerably and my mileage definately got better. 1060km on the last tank!

Also, intake cleaning can often be done under warranty or if out of warranty I have heard of people getting it under good will.
              EU Tuning
              European Performance Products
              www.eutuning.ca
              slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby

Gumby. I guessit must be THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Racer
                  I have done the Vag Com setting for loads of cars.....
                  Simon(Boy Racer) thanks for do that for my Jetta TDI when I got the chip installed by you. I will do the CCV mod very soon here. I appreciate if you can post a picture on your CCV solution. Big thanks.

1060km on the last tank!
                  I don’t understand how the hell my car is ONLY can get 450KM per tank no matter before or after the Upsolute chip.

I’ve heard on the goodwill on the intake cleaning. They do want me to pay up front for the job then file a reimbursement to VW for the money. They are being sneaky and the chance of getting the money back from VWOC is none. For a 02 or newer model it is possible for the goodwill. Unfortunately my car is a 2K model.

Comment

Holy crap thats a lot of carbon crap in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Hmm that buildup it really not all that bad by some of the pictures I have seen but it is a pain in the arse none the less. I would be careful of doing the elephant mod ie hoses off the CCV as I have heard in our cold climate they can cause major problems. If you take a look at the TDIclub there is atleast 3 other fixes you can do. One is a new CCV milled out of alum with a filter, another is using a Mann filter but the cost alone for the filter&housing is about $200 even though it is the best option.
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                      X