Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some turbo info

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post here . . . probably not the last!

Here's the deal - barring any mechanical defects, I'll be buying a 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg next week. It's got 80,000km on it. I'm still dickering over the final price with the sales guy and i'm considering one of those extended warranties from a company called Coast to Coast.

So . . .

The warranty (two years, unlimited km) is around $1500. This seems steep to me. I guess what i really need to know is this:

1)How much is a replacement stock turbo? If the thing blows up in six months, am I on the hook for around $800 or $2000?

2)VW says the timing belt is good for 105,000km. That scares the **** out of me. I've heard waaaay too many stories about timing belt problems (breaking, rollers seizing, etc . . .all around 95,000-100,000km). Should the timing belt be replaced pronto? Also, what's a ballpark figure for the job (belts, tensioners - EVERYTHING)

I mean c'mon . . . the warranty basically prepares me for a total meltdown. It could happen I suppose, but there's a very slim chance of two major disasters occurring close to each other. I've been driving a 1986 Golf with 310,000 km on it (1.8 8v gasoline) and have had minimal major component problems, but the 1.8t has a lot more going on.

Any kind of input would really make my decisions easier and allow me to stick it that bastard sales guy. If it helps, I'm in Halifax.

Re: Need some turbo info

if its got 80000 timing belt should get done when you buy it or make them do it or you won't buy it.. as far as the turbo depending on how the previous driver drove the car and if the turbo is coked at all.. if it dies you can put in a k04 turbo and chip and get 220-230HP out of it which will set you back like 2000 bucks or so for a kit.. nothing crazy

Comment

timing belt changing is 3 hours labor plus $74 for the belt. just FYI
      Simon

Comment

I have never heard of the stock turbo going on an unmodified 1.8T
        Neil
        '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

You can also replace the hydrolic tensioner with a mechanical old school kit - do a search on vortex, but it seems to be getting quite the positive feedback. I'm only at 50K so have only been researching it in passing.

The premature failures seem to be more because of the water pump dying than the belt snapping or slipping - replace the water pump when you do the belt just because it's in the same place.

2 year warranty for 1500 seems pretty steep. The warranty would cover MAFs and O2 sensors, but that's a lot of failures to get to 1500 bucks. I'd skip it if it's a 1.8T engine, and the tranny feels good.

Khyron
          Geoff
          Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

$1500 is steep for 2 years, in 2003 I paid the same for full warranty till 2009, or 160000km.....
            2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
            2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
            2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Be very suspicious of aftermearket warranties and read the fine print before you buy it. There's a lot of stuff they won't cover and they tend to have a bunch of conditions that must be met to keep the warranty valid. In my case, they wanted the receipt from the oil changes sent to them via registered mail, every 3 months. They'll find any excuse they can to drop you. Personally, I'd never get an aftermarket warranty again.
              Pat
              Driver Found: Camber Wanted

Comment

As mentioned, there is statistically about a 0% chance of problems with the stock turbo on a 1.8T. Even after a lot more kms than this car you are looking at.

Back in the 80's I presume some turbo cars had issues I think and maybe that is where uneducated opinions come from? But if people are telling you that you will need a new turbo they are probably wrong.

You can get K03 turbos with very little use for a couple hundred bucks anyhow.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Thanks guys,

Very helpful . . . just wanted to put my mind at ease. Turbos are a whole new world to me. Also, i never would have thought to replace the water pump with the timing belt. Cool . . . should be taking over the car tomorrow or the next day with a cheap 20,000km warranty just for peace of mind. I can't wait to start fiddling with it . . . what are some cheap, low involvement mods? It's winter here and I'm limited with what i can do (my garage is usually just above freezing).

Comment

Working...
                  X