Re-wiring multifunction wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-wiring multifunction wheel

So I'm in the middle of hardwiring my garage door opener and I was wondering if I could use the dead multifunction buttons (aftermarket HU) instead of putting in a new button.

I know the wheel controller isn't a simple on-off deal but surely someone knows of someone that converted those buttons to control nitrous or some sort of electronic device? All I'm looking for is using it as a momentary rocker switch.

Any ideas?

Khyron
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Re: Re-wiring multifunction wheel

i'm sure it can be done.. the 4spoke MF wiring is wierd to say the least.. all the buttons go directly into the main harness that the airbag uses and between my 4spoke MF and R32 there is no difference in the harness or amount of wires which makes me think all those buttons are can-bus controlled..

i still have to wire up my shiz to get my cruise control back and i'm gonna have a helluva time with it.. i have to find some control module and move wires around or something like that.. sigh.............

Comment

They are canbus - you can see it in vagcom when you push buttons, different bit masks etc. But I don't really want to tap it, or deal with making some sort of interpreter (WAAY beyond me). So I was thinking of even just cutting the wires on one of the switches and running my own. But since I've never had my wheel apart I don't know if that's even possible. I just want to turn one of the stereo controls into a dumb (On)-off-(On) rocker.

Khyron
      Geoff

Comment

well aslong as your confident in fixing the buttons again which like brent or simon could fix in like 2 seconds go for it.. removing the steering wheel/airbag is super easy dude.. the only crazy tool you need is a 12mm spline bit if i remember or 10mm i dunno one of those lol

Comment

I would be willing to help you out with that. I know how the wheel comes off etc since I helped Ryan take his off and it shouldn't be to hard to adapt your opener. Sounds like a cool mod actually.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

you'd be the first to my knowledge..

Comment

A few guys have rigged openers using cruise buttons, headlights etc since the toggle is under the hood. But yah, those sweet VW wheel buttons would be much better than a ghetto drilled pushbutton.

Yah Brent if you can figure how to turn one of the switches into a dumb complete/broken circuit it will work.

I got the opener finished already:

Khyron
              Last edited by Khyron; 02-01-2005, 11:15 PM.
              Geoff

Comment

The best bet it so get at the switches themselves as you have surmised. Hopefully the ecu will not notice their absence.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

actually it does.. i throw codes right now for steering wheel missing yada yada i have to look at somebody with a factory 3spoke and recode some setting lol

Comment

Working...
                  X