Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 years after shaving my trunk, I finally had my hood filled

Err that should say "hood".

Short version: About 5 years ago, I shaved the trunk on my 2.slow 99.5 Jetta. 3.5 years ago, I carried it over to a 1.8T 2002 Jetta. But only today did I get the hood notch filled and it looks fantastic. Woop!

Long version: It's been a looong journey. In a previous life, I had a 2.0L 99.5 Jetta -- black -- which I modded pretty good. It's key features were a shaved trunk and a badgeless grill, but it always had that unsightly notch... A couple years later, I traded it in for a 1.8T 2002 Jetta -- black -- and swapped on the shaved trunk and grill. Modded it up even more with full coilovers, swaybars, and so on, then decided I was bored of it. So, the car gets parted out, the (badly curbed) rims collect dust in a friend's garage, and I settle on eventually buying an A3. Then, last November, I get into an accident and wipe out the front end of my car. It gets repaired, but badly, with cheap knock off parts (cheap-ass insurance companies...). Now I *really* want that A3. But, I decide to contact my insurance company about my dissatisfaction, they come have a look and, much to my amazement, immediately agree that the aftermarket parts look like crap. They authorize a new repair at a shop of my choice. In the meantime, I'm having an epiphany. I tend to never be happy, always wanting somethign new. I decided it was time to be happy with what I had for a change, and to hold onto my car for a while longer. (The butchered North American A3 was looking less appealing to me anyway.) I bring the Jetta to a shop I've been to before and figure, what the hell, lets do the hood notch and repaint the lower valence. It only cost me $200 CDN above what insurance was paying for. Now, it looks great, I'm getting a new suspension install on Friday, and having my 18s refinished next week. Suddenly, I really like my Mk IV again...

Last edited by uv23; 02-09-2005, 06:53 PM.
    Yuval
    2008 Volvo C30 T5

Re: 5 years after shaving my trunk, I finally had my hood filled

Nice I love smooth dubs the trunk is great and notchless is the way to go!!

By any chance do you work or know someone who works at M-Tech, I thought I saw your car there at the open house in the summer, and there cant be that many shaved black Jetta trunks around!

Fixed your title too
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Yes, my girlfriend works at M-Tech! Do you? Thanks for the title fix.
      Yuval
      2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

They are one of my clients. Love their building.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Cool. Small world.
          Yuval
          2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

nice dude.. hey how did they fill your trunk and do the hood? i'm actually taking my car in later this week to get my boser welded/painted and to have my euro trunk lid shaved

Comment

I had the trunk done by Southgate VW/Audi bodyshop in Edmonton. They basically pulled out the whole key assembly/roundel, welded in a slab of metal, filled a tiny bit to smooth it over, then painted. It's held up wonderfully and looks as great as it did the first day. I had the hood notch filled by Automation. I brought them the metal FK hood notch insert and they modified it, welded it in, filled a tiny bit once again to smooth it over, then painted. It looks good from the inside too. Soooo happy.
              Yuval
              2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

awesome! i can't wait to get mine done.. then my sig will really mean something lol

Comment

hey dude how much was it for your shave job?

Comment

The trunk was $450 including a full repaint. That was a loooong time ago. The hood was about $200, although the entire hood was being painted at the time anyway and that was extra, so if you're looking at filling an existing hood, there would be extra cost involved in respraying the whole piece. I'm drunk right now so hope that made sense.
                    Yuval
                    2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

looks good, very stealthy.
                      Eric
                      2002 Jetta 1.8T, Black

Comment

Was that your car I saw sitting at 5th ave this morning? I never took a close look but it looks nice!
                        Name: Brent
                        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Yep sure was. Do you work there? I was getting some intermittent screeching noises checked out. Turned out the "backing plate" on my driver's side wheel well was a bit bent and touching the brake rotor. It was satisfying to actually have a "mysterious noise" diagnosed and fixed for a change.
                          Yuval
                          2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

Nope came in to get some parts thats all.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                            X