Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hear ye hear ye. Volunteers welcome for my suspension install on Monday, Feb 21.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hear ye hear ye. Volunteers welcome for my suspension install on Monday, Feb 21.

eh i'm too tired today to want to do anything so i'm just gonna hang out at home all day.. have fun with the install guys.

Comment

Re: Hear ye hear ye. Volunteers welcome for my suspension install on Monday, Feb 21.

Thanks to everyone who came out and helped with tools and with moral support. And especially thanks to Simon for doing the actual install. What a difference 2 inches make...
      Last edited by uv23; 02-21-2005, 09:40 PM.
      Yuval
      2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

Glad to hear things went well.

Any advice on how to make the job go smoothly?

What tools do I need?

What parts did you need to buy?

Any tips or tricks or pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks.
        Brandon

Comment

awesome guys what time did you finish up by? i was gonna come down by my insurance co. got back to me and my insurance was off again at 1pm so no more driving the jetta for a while once again :(

Comment

As far as tips and tricks go, the things I picked up were that you need a torque wrench, a spring compressor which can be rented for free with a deposit, and an air wrench thingy (my mechanical knowledge is spectacular) does wonders. As far as time goes, it probably took about 4 hours? The back was really easy but the fronts took more time, especially the right side.
            Yuval
            2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

Originally posted by uv23
              As far as tips and tricks go, the things I picked up were that you need a torque wrench, a spring compressor which can be rented for free with a deposit, and an air wrench thingy (my mechanical knowledge is spectacular) does wonders. As far as time goes, it probably took about 4 hours? The back was really easy but the fronts took more time, especially the right side.
              It probably could have gone faster if Simon didn't have so many of us underfoot
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Where did you rent the spring compressor from?

Khyron
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                  Where did you rent the spring compressor from?

Khyron
                  Crappy tire has a nice one to borrow.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Cool - I'm assuming the "air wrench thingy" is an impact wrench?

As far as parts go (ie nuts and bolts, etc) ... what did you replace?

placenta from the vortex offers this list but he says he's had his apart 4 or 5 times already:
                    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1844179

6 x axle bolts
                    (NEED PART #)
                    10mm 12 pt TORX

2 x upper mounts ($16.55/side)
                    1J0 412 331 C
                    http://www.impexfap.com/partli...t5467

2 x upper bearings ($6.00/side)
                    1J0 412 249
                    http://www.impexfap.com/partli...t5247

(Or buy a mount/bearing kit from parts4vw.com for $15/side)

2 x top plastic caps ($1.34/side)
                    1J0 412 359
                    http://www.impexfap.com/partli...82012

2 x top saucer ($10.89/side)
                    1J0 412 319
                    http://www.impexfap.com/partli...82004

2 x inner nuts ($2.91/side)
                    1H0 412 365 A
                    http://www.impexfap.com/partli...77746

2 x outer nuts ($1.04/side)
                    N90 353 603
                    http://www.impexfap.com/partli...t4639

2 x 10mm spacer (optional) ($6.00/side)
                    1J0 412 311 A
                    http://www.impexfap.com/partli...27389
                    Brandon

Comment

Hmm we didn't need to replace any parts, though the rubber rings on my upper strut mounts are shot.
                      Yuval
                      2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

Hmm we didn't need to replace any parts, though the rubber rings on my upper strut mounts are shot.
                        Another question for ya, if you don't mind...

The bentley manual shows Volkswagen special tools being required (that look like two ratchet wrenches, one on top of the other) to unbolt the strut from the strut tower in the engine bay (I think)... what did you guys use?
                        Brandon

Comment

You'd have to ask Simon any specific tools questions. I was pretty much just the helper elf.
                          Yuval
                          2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

Originally posted by B Dubbin
                            Another question for ya, if you don't mind...

The bentley manual shows Volkswagen special tools being required (that look like two ratchet wrenches, one on top of the other) to unbolt the strut from the strut tower in the engine bay (I think)... what did you guys use?
                            My guess is he used an impact. I have some special tool comming next month to make it easier. You can also use a sparkplug socket on a wrench and an allen key to undo the top, that is the way I did it the first time I did it. I also used a hex key socket tapped into the spindel to spread it to get the strut out too, I also have a tool for that comming lol should be a lot easier next time.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                              My guess is he used an impact. I have some special tool comming next month to make it easier. You can also use a sparkplug socket on a wrench and an allen key to undo the top, that is the way I did it the first time I did it. I also used a hex key socket tapped into the spindel to spread it to get the strut out too, I also have a tool for that comming lol should be a lot easier next time.
                              Maybe you could explain to me the purpose/function of the tool so I can understand why these alternatives are viable. For one, why are two tools needed simultaneously? How can an impact wrench perform the same function as a sparkplug socket on a wrench combined with an allen key?

Thanks
                              Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X