Synchromesh fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchromesh fluid

Any of you guys ever heard of GM Synchromesh manual trannie fluid? It's made by Penzoil and, according to loads of posts on Vortex, it can work wonders on grinding VW trannies. There are lots of Honda, Mazda, and Nissan drivers who rave about it too . . . way cheaper than Redline or Amsoil (like $6-10 a bottle or something . . . not quite sure yet) and is supposed to work as well or better.

I've got a slight hiccup in my trannie and, although i haven't really properly checked out clutch probs (it's cold and i'm a wimp), this would be an easy fix if it works, plus the trannie fluid should be replaced anyhow (dunno if the prev owner did it or what).

Check it:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1521785
    www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

Anyone know how much to torque the 17mm trannie plug?

Re: Synchromesh fluid

interesting

Comment

I don't grind but I'm always up for more smoothness. Don't like the part about needing a special hex key...

Khyron
      Geoff
      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I need to do mine, so I might try this out....
        2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
        2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
        2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Originally posted by LaDubDude
          Anyone know how much to torque the 17mm trannie plug?
          You can use a 17mm bolt with a couple nuts that works alos, or you can just buy the tool from metalnerd for about $15us.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
            You can use a 17mm bolt with a couple nuts that works alos, or you can just buy the tool from metalnerd for about $15us.
            Yeah, I was on Metalnerd's site earlier . . . the fact that somebody else knows about it answers any questions about whether or not he's legit. I ordered a suspension tool for my MkII from the web that was awful . . . live and learn

I just picked up some Synchromesh at a GM Dealer. I can't begin to tell you all how strange it feels to walk past people waiting to test drive an Optra. $11.00 per bottle, GM part #12345349 I believe. If you can find it under the Penzoil banner in a parts store it'll be cheaper, but I didn't have time to drive all over town. I'll keep updating . . .

Comment

i guess one can always learn to shift
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Post a review!
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by LaDubDude
                  Yeah, I was on Metalnerd's site earlier . . . the fact that somebody else knows about it answers any questions about whether or not he's legit. I ordered a suspension tool for my MkII from the web that was awful . . . live and learn
                  The metalnerd site is THE best site for VW tools, I have order tools from him before and have more on the way. HE posts a lot on the TDIclub site so I get to preorder any new tools comming out and also give him feedback. The prices are really good to boot also.
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by bart
                    oh . . . how cruel!!!!

seriously, I had no probs with my MkII, so you'd think that a far more modern, sophisticated trannie in a car two design generations older wouldn't grind at all (unless the previous owner was tough on it, which i don't think is the case here). I've never had a problem with a VW manual trannie before now (not even my dad's '73 Super Beetle). There are quite a few posts about the 1.8t's 3rd gear grind on Vortex . . . some have it, some don't. Good ol' German engineering built late Friday afternoon in sunny Mexico i guess!

I'll post a review as soon as i get my tools in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                      The metalnerd site is THE best site for VW tools, I have order tools from him before and have more on the way. HE posts a lot on the TDIclub site so I get to preorder any new tools comming out and also give him feedback. The prices are really good to boot also.
                      I'm placing my order right after this post!!! (and, yes, his prices are VERY reasonable)

Comment

Originally posted by bart
                        Sais Mr Warranty...

Comment

Working...
                        X