Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blockheaters

Originally posted by Lars
    On cold starts you do like 30% of wear on your engine and at -30 with 15/40 it takes like 2.5-3 mins for the oil to get to the valvetrain. Saves a lot of wear on the engine with any type of heater
    Thanks Lars.

So what do you have on your car? Oil pan heater with Skid plate, or Coolant heater, or both?
    Sorry If I asked this already and I'm repeating myself.

Judy
    Last edited by Cordialtea; 10-09-2005, 11:32 PM.
    Some days you step in it, some days you don't.

Comment

On cold starts you do like 30% of wear on your engine and at -30 with 15/40 it takes like 2.5-3 mins for the oil to get to the valvetrain. Saves a lot of wear on the engine with any type of heater
      I sure hope nobody is using 15W-40 in the winter in Calgary. You should not be using anything heavier than a 5W-X.

Comment

I've just got the oil pan heater right now will probaly hook up a circulating coolant heater though ..something about having heat right away appeals to me

The use of 15/40 was an example of a video I watched about different weights of oil
        Last edited by Lars; 10-11-2005, 09:31 PM.
        12 Volvo XC 90
        03 Jetta1.8T
        95 Cabrio VRT
        90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

The use of 15/40 was an example of a video I watched about different weights of oil
          yeah.. true story. cant imagine that turbos do well under this scenario either.
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Read your manual. Probably says 5W40 with certain specs. that make it okay for your VW.

No better combination in winter here than the proper spec. 0W40 oil and an inline coolant heater.

Comment

I have 5W40 in my car.

My next oil change is at 53 K, my mileage now is 49 k
              Some days you step in it, some days you don't.

Comment

I run either 5w30 syntec, or 5w50 syntec, whatever is avialable....I find the w40's are too expensive and harder to find...
                2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

The 5W40 is a TDI thing. Diesel engine oils are only available in 0W40, 5W40 and 15W40.

Comment

Working...
                  X