weird flicker with headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird flicker with headlights

Hey does anyone else have this happen with their headlights. I'll describe below.

Ok headlights are turned on driving at night I have this thing with checking my automatic windows are completely up and when I test the switches my headlights blink. It is really, really weird!

Judy/ Cordialtea
    Some days you step in it, some days you don't.

Re: weird flicker with headlights

voltage drops..

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
      voltage drops..
      Thanks Ryan! So that means there could be bigger problems with my car I guess. Well now i can let Vw know so I don't sound like an idiot when I explain how my lights flicker with the windows. I can tell them The voltage drops obviously could you please check that and why is it happening?

See when I don't have the correct terms I'm treated like I'm an a stupid female. It is just because I don't know the correct terms.

Judy
      Some days you step in it, some days you don't.

Comment

My car does this too. It's nothing to worry about. I mentioned this to the mechanic at the dealership last time my car was in for service and they said it's normal.

Jeff
        Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
        hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
        sigpic

Comment

yup they all do it.. well mine doesn't with hids cuz they are regulated but with all normal lights they do it..

Comment

Seems like your voltage regulator in your alternator is giving up the go. Your alternator provides power to operate lights, accessories ect. If your regulator isnt operating to spec when you turn loads on i.e. headlights, windows, defrost you will get this flickering. I would test the alternator output if I had this problem in the shop. Also I would check all main ground connections for looseness and corrosion.

Have fun.
            Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
            You dig sucka?!

Comment

It's the daytime running light module causing power flucuations when they get hot they will do that nothing to worry abou t
              Last edited by shaunmic; 10-12-2005, 11:57 PM.
              Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

disable yoru DRLs.. those things are annoying

Comment

Originally posted by Cordialtea
                  Thanks Ryan! So that means there could be bigger problems with my car I guess. Well now i can let Vw know so I don't sound like an idiot when I explain how my lights flicker with the windows. I can tell them The voltage drops obviously could you please check that and why is it happening?

See when I don't have the correct terms I'm treated like I'm an a stupid female. It is just because I don't know the correct terms.

Judy
                  Im guessin this is your first car with power windows? Ive never had one that the lights didnt flicker when attempting to roll up an already-rolled-up window..in my accord im idle rpms would even drop if I was at a light and did that
                  REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                  -james

Comment

Yes everything in your car has to run off of the car battery (essentially) and with interior lights, stereo, headlights, etc all on at one time, it can dim the headlights a little.

If you put in a more powerful aftermarket stereo/subwoofer the effect often becomes even more pronounced.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                      Yes everything in your car has to run off of the car battery (essentially) and with interior lights, stereo, headlights, etc all on at one time, it can dim the headlights a little.

If you put in a more powerful aftermarket stereo/subwoofer the effect often becomes even more pronounced.
                      Heh, I remember hitting big bass notes on my old truck and having it almost stall with the beat

Unless it's really bad I don't think i'd worry too much (for the reason James mentioned)
                      Jay

Comment

If you rewire your headlights with relays or fets straight to the battery it might go away.
                        right now power goes from the battery to the fuse panel, to the headlight switch, and back to the headlight through a bunch of connectors, so there is drop through all those connections and wires.

the headlights will definately be brighter and the bulbs may burn out sooner due to the higher voltage to them with the mod.
                        put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Originally posted by Satnam
                          If you rewire your headlights with relays or fets straight to the battery it might go away.
                          right now power goes from the battery to the fuse panel, to the headlight switch, and back to the headlight through a bunch of connectors, so there is drop through all those connections and wires.

the headlights will definately be brighter and the bulbs may burn out sooner due to the higher voltage to them with the mod.
                          THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL THER IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT AT VW .
                          ALL CARS WILL SHOW A DIM IN THE HEADLIGHTS WHEN YOU ACTIVATE SOME OTHER ELECTRICAL LOAD
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers
                            THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL THER IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT AT VW .
                            ALL CARS WILL SHOW A DIM IN THE HEADLIGHTS WHEN YOU ACTIVATE SOME OTHER ELECTRICAL LOAD
                            ACTUALLY SATNAM IS RIGHT. All caps locks jokes aside you can fix the problem if you want to but it will take a lot of work for little gains.
                            Name: Brent
                            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor

very true .. which makes me happy my hids are regulated for when i get around to installing my boom boom

Comment

Working...
                              X