Race City Closures/Places to Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race City Closures/Places to Race

I've been reading about the recent Race City closures and new places to race. As an active member of the community, I have numerous resources and contacts at my disposal.

After much recent discussion with several members of city council, other active community members, several sworn members of the Calgary Police Service and numerous racers and friends, I've decided to organize a committee/group to actively find a place for us to race in Calgary - legally. I have the support of the aforementioned people, plus a reporter with the Herald and CFCN media.

This being said, I have much research to do and can certainly not tackle this alone. Unfortunately, it would seem that a petition is not enough. I will be drafting a letter to the Mayor and our Aldermen and it will be available for distribution to anyone on beyond, my other car forums and IRL for you guys to edit and modify in any way you like and MAIL IT through snail mail to the Mayor and our Alderman.

I need supporters to back me. And yes, this has been done before. I understand that after the RCMP death because of street racing in Surrey, they have embraced it and taken it to a new level.

Any of those who can contribute any research, time or energy, please email me. This is a serious issue and I am able to outline more details to those people who want to take an active part and provide us a safe place to exhibit our sport.

This will happen.

Mark
    rosenede@telus.net
    -- Mark --
    I want my VW to be fast.
    2001 Blue Lagoon Jetta GLS 1.8T
    Terrorists suck!

Re: Race City Closures/Places to Race

I thought secret street was still going next year, just the track rentals and stuff are changing......
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Check Beyond.. there is already another group doing this same thing..

And Secret Street is still running,,

Comment

Already posted on Beyond. And my understanding is that Secret Street will not be running. The original press release said private bookings only.
        -- Mark --
        I want my VW to be fast.
        Terrorists suck!

Comment

Maybe they should move the track to the NW.....I don't go because I have to overnight just to go there....
          2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
          2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
          2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

where's the press release? No more secret street racing?!?
            1.8T
            Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

From http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...y&pagenumber=4

allrighty guys, word from the man himself:

"Rasmus,

We expect to operate our Secret Street program all next season starting in late April.

The competitive programs are no longer going to be run by us as we change our business model.
              Secret Street is more of a social event and we want to continue to run it in part because we think that it makes the City a safer place with less need to kill yourself street racing.

--
              Art MacKenzie
              (403) 272-7223 ext. 101
              e-mail amackenzie@racecity.com
              President
              Race City Inc.
              Operator of
              CANADA'S FINEST MOTORSPORT FACILITY "
              Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-16-2005, 09:55 AM.

Present
              2010 Audi A4 S-Line
              2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
              2003 VW Jetta GLI
              1992 VW Jetta GL
              1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

If you have good contacts and resources, perhaps you'd be better off working with the group that's trying to find the investors to buy Race City.

Comment

Someone can close this thread. I won't bother conversing here if noone cares.

As an annotation, Race City WILL be closed at the end of next year. There will be no investor purchasing it as the land is going to be developed as an industrial parcel.

It would have been shut down by the city because of noise violations anyways.

Note: I've received 250+ responses from my other postings. I have two university students writing a paper to present to the city showing statistical proof that endorsing racing reduces traffic accidents, death, injuries and citations. I have an internet company willing to develop and host a website for free. Numerous CPS officers are interested. And numerous members of the media are interested.

Glad you guys care. So much for being dedicated to the racing environment in the city.
                  -- Mark --
                  I want my VW to be fast.
                  Terrorists suck!

Comment

I recommend you take a look over at the CSCC forums and join the discussions there. Thats where the real race community are and thats also where there are some real efforts (at least conceptually) being made to find somewhere new... that being said, I dont think I have heard them mention 1/4 mile stuff.
                    EU Tuning
                    European Performance Products
                    www.eutuning.ca
                    slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Racer
                      I recommend you take a look over at the CSCC forums and join the discussions there. Thats where the real race community are and thats also where there are some real efforts (at least conceptually) being made to find somewhere new... that being said, I dont think I have heard them mention 1/4 mile stuff.
                      Are you saying 1/4 mile racers are not the "real race community" ??
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

No, thats not what I am saying, but it certainly sounds like it.
                        EU Tuning
                        www.eutuning.ca
                        slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

your only a 'real' 1/4 mile racer if you have 2 of these in your ride

Comment

..you must be talking about guys in vests.. but I really think 1 is enough
                            EU Tuning
                            www.eutuning.ca
                            slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

I think I must have said something wrong in my first post. Let me clarify. I don't care what kind of car you drive, what kind of racing you like, what kind of track you want to see, all _we_ (I say we now, because it is we), want and need is racing supporters to exhibit themselves appropriately to the city to make sure that there is actually a place for us to race.

I personally prefer 1/4 racing, but that is not to say I don't support ALL other types of racing and when I present my cause to the city, I'm going to make sure to include circuit racing, drift racing and other high speed forms of racing (primarily because six cars weaving in and out of traffic at 150 kmph is just as dangerous as a hundred street racers shutting down 76th avenue to drag all night)....

So that being said, is there anyone here who is willing to put in a few minutes of time to sign a letter and plop it in the mail saying "I support racing and we need a place to do it (other then Race City because race city is closing)"?
                              -- Mark --
                              I want my VW to be fast.
                              Terrorists suck!

Comment

Working...
                              X