Volkswagen Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volkswagen Canada

Interesting are you taking it to Northland??
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Blair:

I don't know.... I suppose it couldn't hurt, but it still means leaving the car there for the day, if it is during the week, and then returning there after work, to see it on the hoist, or maybe see if I could schedule it for a Sat., if that's possible, and then get it looked at all at once.

It wasn't on the hoist when the Fountain Tire guy showed me how he couldn't see or feel any leaks on the shocks--and he also said that even new strut mounts will APPEAR loose, when on a hoist--the weight of the car snugs the strut mounts into the shock towers, when it's off the hoist...

As well, the Fountain Tire guy said that the age old "push down on a corner, and see if it bounces a lot" test for shocks also indicated the shocks were working ok...

As I had given Fountain Tire the ok to go ahead with this work, and they decided against it, knowing they could have made an easy $800 or so off of me--tells me this work isn't needed--- YET...

Would it be worth me puting in on NLV's hoist, in your estimation???

Comment

I just want to see what happens
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomguy
          Would it be worth me puting in on NLV's hoist, in your estimation???
          Worth what? It will be a cold day in hell when a car dealership admidts fault and does something about it, maybe if you were driving a brand new v10 toureg that you just forked over a mint for... but on a 17 year old car (or even a 2 year old econo-car like we're all driving) they arent going to go out of their way to satisfy you in my experience.

My guess is they'll stick by what they said and say "well, it may not need replacing RIGHT this second but in 4,000km...." ..and that will be about as close to an apology as you'll get haha
          REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
          -james

Comment

Originally posted by James
            Worth what? It will be a cold day in hell when a car dealership admidts fault and does something about it, maybe if you were driving a brand new v10 toureg that you just forked over a mint for... but on a 17 year old car (or even a 2 year old econo-car like we're all driving) they arent going to go out of their way to satisfy you in my experience.

My guess is they'll stick by what they said and say "well, it may not need replacing RIGHT this second but in 4,000km...." ..and that will be about as close to an apology as you'll get haha
            Yea, I would kind of agree with James, some people just don't know how to admit they are wrong, and it seems the VW dealership can be the worst for it. It's a shame that someone would do that to a devoted customer like yourself (17 years?!! I haven't even lived in the same PROVINCE for that long), but it seems customer loyalty doesn't mean anything anymore, it's all about the here and now, and if they think you'll believe them and shell out money for something, they'll try. You could go, and see what they say, it really depends if you think it it worth your time. Maybe with this incident you could tell them you will bring it by and you want them to put it on a hoist and SHOW you the problem areas. With you calling VWoC and having the dealership call you etc. etc. I would call up and make THEM accomodate YOU.

The thing I don't understand is, if you think about it, this kind of thing is almost theft, they are taking money from you that you don't need to spend, sure they are putting new parts on (if they actually do) but they are making money on those as well.

Maybe someone was looking for cheap suspension for their MK2?
            Last edited by Tuna; 10-21-2005, 11:48 AM.
            Jay

Comment

Jason:

Yea--VW Canada said they talked to NLV, and that if I wanted, I could take the Jetta back to NL, so they could put the Jetta on the hoist, and show me. The Fountain Tire guy said they couldn't find any shock leaks (with the Jetta both on and off the hoist), so I don't know how NLV could magically find some leaks..

Am starting to think it may not be worth my time to go back to NL.. I guess, as long as I still have a place I CAN take the Jetta for maintenance work, that is the main thing!! Only the best for my "baby"!!! And thanks for everyone's input!!!!! It's appreciated!!!

Comment

Is there a problem driving? The stock shocks are horribly underdamped (sp?). Does the front end feel looser than when it was new?

Regardless, if you do change shocks go aftermarket, the stock units are beyond crap. Changing them is not too hard, you just need a few special tools.

If someone wants to set up a horror stry thread, I'll relate the funnier moments of sealing with NLV....

Comment

Red90:

I hadn't detected any fault with the shocks or strut mounts. When I had my Jetta in to NLV to get an intermittant brake "squeak" fixed, NL phoned me at work, and told me they had detected the shocks leak and front strut looseness while the Jetta was on the hoist. It wasn't a fix that needed to be done right away, but I figured I would get it all done before winter came..

Had NL not said anything about the struts or shocks, I'd still not feel that anything was wrong with my suspension.. Go figure...

Comment

Then its fine. If a shock is gone, you will know.

Comment

Originally posted by Red90
                      Then its fine. If a shock is gone, you will know.
                      i would go to another dealership,for a second opinion,fountain tire may say
                      what you like to hear but how many V.W'S do they work on and did you
                      get that report on paper.

the truth is out there....

i'd get a 3rd opinion before you condemn a dealership where you have gone
                      for 17 years..my 2 cents

Comment

take it to Dave at south Center, that way you will know you are getting an honest answer

Comment

Originally posted by albertaTDI
                          take it to Dave at south Center, that way you will know you are getting an honest answer
                          ding ding ding!

(edit: See avatar)
                          Last edited by James; 10-22-2005, 04:46 PM.
                          REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                          -james

Comment

Originally posted by James
                            ding ding ding!

(edit: See avatar)
                            Werd to yo moms!

Nice avatar.. I think I know that guy...
                            Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                            You dig sucka?!

Comment

Working...
                            X