• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64K sort of Service

So really all I need done for this is the following:

Oil Change - 5/40 Synth w/filter
    Replace Plugs ($$$)
    Check Power steering rack/fluid
    Axles, check CV boots, ball joints, ties, etc.
    Timing Belt Check

Is the timing belt check anything more than just making sure it's attached? High labor? Should I stick with the stock plugs even though they cost a fortune?

Checking my steering as I'm almost out of warranty and it does groan every now and then. Axles etc being checked for the same reason.

I don't want to pay for an A or B service crap since I don't need tires rotated, pollen filter changed etc. I'm done with the "plans".

I'd go to SS and see Dave, except that it's as far as far can be and they can never guarantee keeping appointment times, so will probably stick with NL.

Khyron
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Re: 64K sort of Service

My last 2 encounters with Northland ended with appointment time not being kept....
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

i have to get my 64k next year i'm only doing the oil and they can check the rest but thats it.. no rotating tires or plugs or anything i can do those myself easily

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
        i have to get my 64k next year i'm only doing the oil and they can check the rest but thats it.. no rotating tires or plugs or anything i can do those myself easily
        Do you gap your own plugs Ryan? Because it is a process that mystifies me. Everyone has a different story.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i dunno sure.. i've never done but it can't be that hard.. if it is then i'll buy the plugs myself and they can install them then.. i dunno i'll see come next fall.. i drove my jetta a whopping 6500km this year!! so i have a while to go to hit 64k

Comment

I won't do plugs because stripping my head is not worth the few mins of labor. If it was iron, sure. My ghetto torque wrench already screwed up my bikes alluminum oilpan.

I meant that if I go NL I can get a ride back to work pretty easy - I'm near deerfoot@mcknight.

Khyron
            Last edited by Khyron; 11-02-2005, 04:35 PM.
            Geoff

Comment

Actually I think I might just do them myself after all.

NGK BKR7E are cheap, replace every year. I bought that little gap tool so shouldn't be too bad.

Khyron
              Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron

I bought that little gap tool so shouldn't be too bad.

Khyron
                ..yeah, pregapped means BEFORE the drop the crate of plugs once or twice. You can get a little plug kit with a tube of no-seize thread gook and that di-electric jelly to make things go smoother. Keep in mind, i think there is a conversion that needs to be applied to the spec torques if any lubricating agent is used (like the no-sieze stuff). On aluminum, I'd use the stuff though, i replaced my glow plugs to find that about a 1/4 of the thread from the block came out with one because it wasn't used - good ol' lease backs.
                Stefan
                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I do my own plugs every 2nd or 3rd oil change with the ngk's. Gap to .028, and 10 minutes to change. If you change them frequently, anti-sieze isnt that important. A good idea to make sure your head is cool before hand.
                  2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

Yep that's exactly what I'm going to try. I'm still on stock plugs with chip prog + a bunch of misc hp mods so 1 level colder and a narrower gap should be perfect.

Anyone know about the timing belt check? It's a pretty serious thing but if all they do is reach underneath and feel it, I'm not bothering.

Also until Dec 15 there's a free winter checkup - I'm getting that to check axles/coolant etc. She said it included oil change but I'd imagine that's not free.

Khyron
                    Geoff

Comment

Anyone know about the timing belt check? It's a pretty serious thing but if all they do is reach underneath and feel it, I'm not bothering.

Khyron[/QUOTE]

as explained to me,the t-belt is one of the most important checks..they
                      check and re-tension if required.if not done during service intervals as
                      specified and the belt breaks you will have no warranty on the engine.

oil changes and t-belt service are a number 1 priorty under warranty

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                        I'd go to SS and see Dave, except that it's as far as far can be and they can never guarantee keeping appointment times, so will probably stick with NL.
                        Maybe they will tell you you need rear brakes again...

Keep in mind I do Saturdays too if that works for you. As for appointments, F-it. You make an apointment to come in and wait during the week and I will do it personally as soon as you hand the keys over.

It's all about customer service..
                        Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                        You dig sucka?!

Comment

Working...
                        X