Keys for 2001 Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keys for 2001 Golf

Hi ... I'm a newbie here, so I'm not sure if there already is a topic for this. I bought a 2001 Golf GLS earlier this year but only received the valet key, as it was a theft recovery. One dealership said they have to send my serial number to VW to cut the master key, but if the locks have been changed then I'm stuck with an $80 key that doesn't work. The other dealership said to phone the locksmith. Locksmith says they charge $99 just for the key blank + labour. I'm wondering if I were to buy a blank switchblade key + remote off ebay the locksmith could cut the master key and then I could program the remote myself (as I've heard that this is possible). If anyone knows of a place in Edmonton that can do this or has any advice for me, it would be appreciated.

Re: Keys for 2001 Golf

go to the dealership and you'll probably have to pay for new keys but get 2 made and coded for your car..

Comment

As far as I know, the deslerships send the blank keys out, they are cut, then the dealership programs them, and charges you a hefty fee. I beleive any "real" locksmith with cutting equipment can cut the key from the blank if you give them one to copy. I read that it can cost > $100-$150/key at the dealership but MUCH LESS from a locksmith.

So yes, in theory you should be able to buy a blank on ebay, have it cut, and code it yourself.

I do not know where exactly you would get it cut in Edmonton, but I would say try the yellow pages first

If you have two (or more) working keys of your car, then you can code it yourself:

1. Insert any one of the working keys into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.

2. Using any of the remaining keys, manually lock your car from the outside.

3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.

4. Press either button again once.

5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.

6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed”

This may not work with the valet key, and since you have no other keys, you can't program it in this way. I believe you can also program it using ROSS-TECH PC software and a VAG-COM cable. If you have this equipment or know someone who does, then you can program it (I think).

You might want to look at: http://www.americanautolock.com/

I believe you can get a replacement key for about $25 US.

If you can get the key fob elsewhere, you can buy a blank key blade for $7 US.
      Last edited by Kor; 11-10-2005, 12:58 PM.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I've got an old FOB from a 2000 Golf that would work as a starting point...
        Last edited by kuhli; 11-10-2005, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X