Re-Clearcoating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re-Clearcoating

just wondering but why don't you have the shop that had some ammy power polish your car pay for it, i'm sure you could take them to court and have your who car resprayed because a shop should know better than to make a mistake like that. Yea I agree taking care of dark colored cars is pretty difficult, especially with the reaaaaaaalllllly thin paint/clear coat on the vws, I refuse to use anything power on the dub, everything by hand and have never had a problem with swirl marks

Comment

About 3 weeks after I had it done and the wax came off I took it back to them and they told me that I did it. You could only imagine my frustration with them. After a few weeks of fighting back and forth, the manager offered to do it again, but they would not give me my money back. I told them that doing it agian with their technique is just going to make it worse. I thought about taking them to court, but of course about 2 weeks from our last conversation, they shut down, and I didn't have any info on the manager or the owner.

I called X-Kote and there is no dealer in Alberta. He said that there is 3 in Sask.; in Regina, Saskatoon, and Price Albert. Looks like I'm gonna be having a road trip in Spring. I'm going to try and find out if there is any dealers in Montana or Idaho because its closer and most likely cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by J-hop View Post
        just wondering but why don't you have the shop that had some ammy power polish your car pay for it, i'm sure you could take them to court and have your who car resprayed because a shop should know better than to make a mistake like that. Yea I agree taking care of dark colored cars is pretty difficult, especially with the reaaaaaaalllllly thin paint/clear coat on the vws, I refuse to use anything power on the dub, everything by hand and have never had a problem with swirl marks

If you want it re cleared save youself money by doing teardown and prep yourself.
        Last edited by BaggedGLI; 10-05-2010, 10:01 AM.
        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by vwpride View Post
          About 3 weeks after I had it done and the wax came off I took it back to them and they told me that I did it. You could only imagine my frustration with them. After a few weeks of fighting back and forth, the manager offered to do it again, but they would not give me my money back. I told them that doing it agian with their technique is just going to make it worse. I thought about taking them to court, but of course about 2 weeks from our last conversation, they shut down, and I didn't have any info on the manager or the owner.

I called X-Kote and there is no dealer in Alberta. He said that there is 3 in Sask.; in Regina, Saskatoon, and Price Albert. Looks like I'm gonna be having a road trip in Spring. I'm going to try and find out if there is any dealers in Montana or Idaho because its closer and most likely cheaper.
          man that sucks hardcore, i've been in that position before, not a lot you can do eh. hope it works out!

Comment

Yeah It's really unfortunate how people run their business, but yeah, not a lot that I can do. Whatever, I hope this X-Kote works out too. Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Wow this Xkote stuff really does look like it works wonders!! I think this is the commerical version of ScratchX.

Im definetely going to swing into the shop in Regina with my truck and see if they can get the scratches out!! I have done some 4x4ing in my F-150 in to tight of trails, which has caused some serious scrapes and scratches along the sides of her.

vwpride, if I end up getting the xkote done I will take some before and after pictures for you to see some more results..... My scrapes and scratches are worse looking IMO than all the examples on there website.

Comment

Originally posted by Flutter View Post
                Wow this Xkote stuff really does look like it works wonders!! I think this is the commerical version of ScratchX.

Im definetely going to swing into the shop in Regina with my truck and see if they can get the scratches out!! I have done some 4x4ing in my F-150 in to tight of trails, which has caused some serious scrapes and scratches along the sides of her.

vwpride, if I end up getting the xkote done I will take some before and after pictures for you to see some more results..... My scrapes and scratches are worse looking IMO than all the examples on there website.
                Yes I would really appreciate that. Thanks.

Comment

Hey guys this is Jeramiah from Clear Solutions in Sask. You might remember me, I used to own the Red 92 GTI with the Audi 3.2L swap in it.

Anyway Chris put me onto this thread, I've been a member here for a while but since getting out of the scene kinds lost contact with many sites I frequented.

Little background on me. I bought into X-Kote in 2006 after seeing a demo in Burnaby at their head office. Literally 1 demo panel and I cut a huge cheque for the rights to the province, simply because I had never, ever! seen anything like this before. It blew my frikin mind. Since I've been setting up detail shops and dealers out here in Sask and training them to use the product. I have 2 dealers in Regina, 2 in Saskatoon, 2 in Moose Jaw, 1 in Swift Current, 1 in Macklin( very close to alberta border) 1 in Preecville, 1 in Moosamin, and myself in Prince Albert. Since 2006 X-Kote has evolved tremendously. The original coating was amazing but this Nov in Vegas X-Kote is debuting there latest version. I've had it in my shop now for a month playing with it and applying it to customer cars. It's 3 times thicker than the original version and cures harder becoming more scratch resistant. X-Kote shops in BC are actually putting this product on new cars because once dry it's harder than the factory finish. ie: GM for example. The new product repairs allot more which has cut my prep time down considerably.

The product helps in so many ways and compliments detail shops, car lots, autobody shops, marine dealers the list goes on. Anyway, enough babble. There aren't any Alberta dealers yet, I know seems crazy but as of now still no one. If anyone out in Alberta is interested in doing an X-Kote to there car perhaps gather up a few people to get work done and I could make a trip out there show you guys first hand the magic this product has. As long as there is a decently lit place, water and heat I can do this anywhere. Hell I've X-Koted cars in barns with Halogen light stands and a power generator.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask. I'll leave you with a few pics of some work and some trips I took with the president of X-Kote over the past few years.

Setting up Marcs new Spanish X-Kote centre in Feb 2010

This is the head X-Kote centre in Paris we spent 3 days here training the new Dutch franchise owners( 3 guys on the right)

X-Koting a 911

Phantom out of the wash bay and ready for taping

Marcs display booth for SEMA 2009. I've gone to Vegas with him 4 years now and helped work the show to sell new franchises.

My buddies 56 Caddilac swirled and hologramed to ****!

repaired going on 3 years since this pic and it still looks great. I give it a light wax every spring.
                  Last edited by Flygti3.2; 10-28-2010, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I'd have to see the process first hand and how it stands up to nature. There have been lots of products over the years that claim to remove swirls and scratchs, but I have never seen one that actually removes them the same way that power polishing and prepping the paint with professional compounds does.

Is the paint being prepped and the swirls removed before a hard clear is put on, or is this just putting another substance overtop of the imperfections to fill the holograms etc.?

Someone said it looks like commercial grade ScratchX, but ScratchX doesn't work at all and every scratch I've seen treated with it comes back. I even boght it once and applied it to a hologrammed car in some areas and it made absoutely no difference.

Like any product that fixes your clear, if you dont maintain proper washing procedures, the swirls/holograms will come back. The value of this really depends on what it costs to X-Cote a vehicle and if the finish is guaranteed in any way.

Comment

Your in Edmonton. If you ever want to set something up I'm only 5 hours away I can come do a car for you to show you. Heck we can even do my 98 GMC truck.

Just a couple points I want to make.

a) X-kote is not designed to "remove" swirl marks and holograms. It is designed to "repair" them. A swirl magnified, looks like a canyon. Clear coat has been scratched out, by a piece of dirt, it causes the light to bounce off the edges back into your eye. When the paint is free of imperfections, you get brilliant color, and depth. The light is going through to the color coat, and back to your eye. To achieve that affect, you compound polish to remove material ( ie: the clear) until you have gone past the last scratch, and are working a level surface again. X-kote is doing the opposite. I am wiping on a cross link polyurethane clearcoat, flooding the surface like a zamboni. The X-kote goes down into the swirls, and fills the voids where clear has been scratched. The chemical reaction that takes place, basically opens the cars clear coat, and allows the x-kote to fuse to it on a molecular level. It becomes the new top portion of the clear coat surface on a permanent basis.

b) Deep scratches require some wet sanding and buffing prior to the X-kote being installed. I can tell you,the only thing I use to polish is Megs #4 heavy cut, and #85 diamond cut with a yellow wool pad. There is no need to correct any further, because X-kote will permanently fix all the damage the wool does.

c) X-kote can be scratched, it is a clear coat just like what your car has now. Your statement is very true, without good wash procedures and drying tips, a person can easily scratch there paint again. You can take a brand new car off the lot, wipe your hand over the dusty hood, and you have damaged that paint. It's the climate we live in. As for polishing holograms reappearing, not a chance. They are repaired for good with this stuff. I have some friends cars I did back in 2006 when I was getting started. The product is still there, no peeling no fading.A few swirls from lazy washing, but all in all the product has held up well. Were in a crazy climate here 70 degree temp gradiant from season to season. So far I have been very impressed with the products performance.
                      Last edited by Flygti3.2; 10-29-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to go out of my way to see this as I detail my car with my own polishing products and my finish is in great condition. If it makes it's way here I'd take a look.

Also, and I mean this in the most constructive way, if you are going to build your business please proof read your posts. Your business is only as good as your ability to communicate value.

Comment

Jeramiah, thanks for posting on here it definatley answered some of my questions. But I do have a few more.

Just a rough estimate, how much is it going to be to do my '03 Jetta?
                          How long is it going to take to apply it?
                          Is it okay to apply it in winter?
                          The place in Macklin is by far the closest and would work best for me. what is it called?
                          I could also use some paintless dent repair, do any of your facilities offer this, and how much would it be?

-Thanks.

Comment

Jeramiah, thanks for posting on here it definatley answered some of my questions. But I do have a few more.

Just a rough estimate, how much is it going to be to do my '03 Jetta?
                            How long is it going to take to apply it?
                            Is it okay to apply it in winter?
                            The place in Macklin is by far the closest and would work best for me. what is it called?
                            I could also use some paintless dent repair, do any of your facilities offer this, and how much would it be?

-Thanks.
                            1) My price on a MK4 Jetta is $450
                            2) The process is a full day and a half. Doing X-Kote in the winter is perfectly fine, I do cars all year round.
                            3) Larry Burridge from Pro carpet cleaners is the installer out there.306-753-3327
                            3) None of my facilities do PDR, that is something I recomend getting done prior to X-Koting.

Comment

Thanks, and who is the dealer in saskatoon. That might work out better if it takes a day and a half.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks, and who is the dealer in saskatoon. That might work out better if it takes a day and a half.

Thanks.
                                Jordan at Auto Salon 306 668 9274

Comment

Working...
                                X