Calgary Autoworks - Inline Coolant Heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary Autoworks - Inline Coolant Heaters

We have an order on the way for some inline coolant heaters, they are from the same supplier that you used to be able to get direct from Volkswagen/Audi. We have installed 10+ kits in the shop over the last couple winters and they are incredible. The heaters are about 4-5 inches long and can bring the coolant temp up to warm in only a couple hours. The small size allows for them to be tucked away easily in the engine bay while keeping it close to where it needs to be. Heaters are 550watt.

We will post more pictures when the kits are in our hands. Contact for pricing.

Last edited by BaggedGLI; 11-20-2015, 01:26 PM.
    Come see us for Sonax Cleaning Supplies, Parts, ECS Orders and General Maintenance!
    Follow us on Twitter!

Calgary Autoworks
    #7, 1115 - 48th Ave SE
    Calgary, Alberta
    T2G 2A7
    403-243-9661
    Info@CalgaryAutoworks.com

Re: Calgary Autoworks - Inline Coolant Heaters

Awesome, need one for the A4!!!
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

is this like a frostheater?
      Josh

2006 Jetta TDI (DSG)
      decent amount of (little) cosmetic mods
      Colt stage II cam
      PD150 Injectors
      Darkside GTB1749V
      Malone stage 5 (dynamic Idle and EGR delete)
      Malone DSG tune
      H&R coilovers
      Panzer skidplate
      OEM LED Tail lights.
      OEM style projector headlights with e46 (clear lens) projector swap

2008 ford Ranger 5 spd

Comment

Yup....and tbh....the best mod I've done in my TDI....
        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

This shall happen soon....along with everything else haha
          Josh

2006 Jetta TDI (DSG)
          decent amount of (little) cosmetic mods
          Colt stage II cam
          PD150 Injectors
          Darkside GTB1749V
          Malone stage 5 (dynamic Idle and EGR delete)
          Malone DSG tune
          H&R coilovers
          Panzer skidplate
          OEM LED Tail lights.
          OEM style projector headlights with e46 (clear lens) projector swap

2008 ford Ranger 5 spd

Comment

Heaters are in stock and ready for sale!
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Is that just a heater or is it a pump/heater like the frostheater types? It looks too small to have both a pump and room for heating coils to heat the coolant properly.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                Is that just a heater or is it a pump/heater like the frostheater types? It looks too small to have both a pump and room for heating coils to heat the coolant properly.
                It's a heater, it doesn't have a pump, it very effectively heats through convection.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                  It's a heater, it doesn't have a pump, it very effectively heats through convection.
                  Sorry to be the downer here, and nothing against CAW at all.

This as a simple heater is not going to be anywhere near as effective as a frostheater which has a combined pump and heater. The heat loss through the hoses means that nearly zero heat is going to get into the block and the heater core, the two places where this heat is effective. With the frost heater i plumbed it into my old car so that it drew coolant from the oil cooler, and then discharged it through to one side of the heater core. This way the warm fluid would flow first to the heater core (instant heat in the winters) and would then be sent to the block, heating the block and oil. I also had an oil pan warming pad at the bottom for those super cold days.

Alternately you can install this inline and install a small low flow water pump in line as well which would accomplish the same job, just with two plugs and two new connections in your line.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                    Sorry to be the downer here, and nothing against CAW at all.

This as a simple heater is not going to be anywhere near as effective as a frostheater which has a combined pump and heater. The heat loss through the hoses means that nearly zero heat is going to get into the block and the heater core, the two places where this heat is effective. With the frost heater i plumbed it into my old car so that it drew coolant from the oil cooler, and then discharged it through to one side of the heater core. This way the warm fluid would flow first to the heater core (instant heat in the winters) and would then be sent to the block, heating the block and oil. I also had an oil pan warming pad at the bottom for those super cold days.

Alternately you can install this inline and install a small low flow water pump in line as well which would accomplish the same job, just with two plugs and two new connections in your line.
                    We have sold over 10 of these in the past years and they have worked awesome on every car we have installed them on. At -20*C, plugged in for 3 hours it registers on the coolant gauge at startup with warm air inside. I do agree that a pump would circulate more thoroughly but isn't necessary as these use convection to move the heat. Small size makes the install way easier as well.
                    Last edited by BaggedGLI; 11-20-2015, 04:00 PM.
                    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                    2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Frostheater does not have a pump, mine doesn't anyways...its mounted lower and the heated coolant circulates perfectly...inf act, when I leave my vent on defrost, my window is clear in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                        Frostheater does not have a pump, mine doesn't anyways...its mounted lower and the heated coolant circulates perfectly...inf act, when I leave my vent on defrost, my window is clear in the morning!
                        Yea, what George said, the Frostheater is just a heating element in a box(made by Temro), this is the same thing and will heat the same way through convection, the frost heater is 1000w and overkill for most situations, this is much more compact and will offer more fitment options.

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                          We have sold over 10 of these in the past years and they have worked awesome on every car we have installed them on. At -20*C, plugged in for 3 hours it registers on the coolant gauge at startup with warm air inside. I do agree that a pump would circulate more thoroughly but isn't necessary as these use convection to move the heat. Small size makes the install way easier as well.
                          Originally posted by Geobmx4life View Post
                          Originally posted by RobG View Post
                          Yea, what George said, the Frostheater is just a heating element in a box(made by Temro), this is the same thing and will heat the same way through convection, the frost heater is 1000w and overkill for most situations, this is much more compact and will offer more fitment options.
                          Hmmm seems i am wrong here. I could have sworn that mine (not a frostheater but another brand) had a mini pump in it but it appears that it didn't either haha.
                          This is definitely smaller and easier to install than the larger bucket style ones.

Now i'm going to go look for circulation pumps that can be plumbed inline here to make it work better...

Comment

Working...
                          X