Wheel powder coat/painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wheel powder coat/painting

i guess ask whoever owns my old jaz wheels now as those were done by calgary powdercoating....

Comment

Since I dont know what wheels or methods that you had used.. it would be safe to assume it was a low temp, low time bake? Also certain materials are more susceptible to damage/overaging. Experience is one thing... but science is another.

When certain materials age at 39X degrees.. it would be safe to assume that you are ok going lower.....which Im guessing is what you did... or the drivers weren't as hard on the wheels.

At the end of the day its your choice... but IMO if there is a chance that PCing the wheels weakens them.. I'll pass. I would hate to see what happens if one of my wheels broke/cracked while on the track or worse the highway.

Comment

scientifically speaking, powdercoating wheels could potentially weaken a set of alloy wheels.
        on the other hand,.. i ran a set of PCed wheels on my m3 sedan that saw its fair share of track time. and,.. another friend with a similar car that made over 500 lb. of torque ran a set of PCed wheels as well (for multiple seasons with R compounds).
        unless you're looking to powdercoat a set of pure magnesium wheels... you'll be just fine.

Top Gun coatings has done great work with the parts and wheels I've sent their way.

Comment

I know for sure that lots of companies DO powdercoat their wheels right in the factory, e.g. HRE.

Perhaps on a cheap cast wheel it might have a negative effect but I find it hard to believe it would hurt a forged wheel.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
          X