Winter....Stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter....Stretch?

So I am perusing around for a winter tire for winter in 215/65/R15 (stock size), found a set that are 205/65/R15. Any issue?

Re: Winter....Stretch?

What size of rim? I don't think that'd be an issue. I've got mad stretch on my winters.
    '91 ECODiesel JettaL

Comment

here's my winter stretch.......

and here's Alec's.....
      Last edited by popp; 10-13-2010, 11:47 PM.
      Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Despite this being what some would call a dumb question.. is it ok to stretch a lower profile winter tire? You could still look good in winter, along with having a smaller treadmark.. is there issues with this? Calling bob!

Comment

no issues. the tread touches the ground, not the sidewall
          Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Good to know. We posted at pretty much the same time I think.

Comment

Only real issue could be if the stretch is severe enough to allow road crap to get between the bead of the tire and wheel too deep, which could eventually cause corrosion of the bead area and/or breaking the seal, causing leaks, but stretch like shown above on Popps tires isn't that severe. The others is starting to push it maybe a bit but the tire will still function. The lips will take a bit of a beating on bad roads and gravel etc as well, but we usually are not as concerned about that with our winter wheels as we would be with our summer wheels...
              Last edited by tirebob; 10-14-2010, 07:55 AM.
              sigpic
              Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
              Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
              Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
              888.769.1772 Toll Free
              403.769.1771 tel
              403.769.1773 fax
              bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

yeah I am not really concerned, this is just my daily, and am spending the winter working at a ski hill, and want some proper winters as mine are cooked!

Comment

Yeah, those wheels are my winters. Gonna pick up a new set next spring. Keep in mind, the skinnier the tread... the better the tires can provide traction.
                  '91 ECODiesel JettaL

Comment

Originally posted by tirebob View Post
                    Only real issue could be if the stretch is severe enough to allow road crap to get between the bead of the tire and wheel too deep, which could eventually cause corrosion of the bead area and/or breaking the seal, causing leaks, but stretch like shown above on Popps tires isn't that severe. The others is starting to push it maybe a bit but the tire will still function. The lips will take a bit of a beating on bad roads and gravel etc as well, but we usually are not as concerned about that with our winter wheels as we would be with our summer wheels...
                    very good point, my winter wheels (with stock tire size on) had to be cleaned up pretty good last year because they started to corrode a bit on the inside and the bead would no longer seat properly, it was probably one of the most frustrating things ever as it would be down to 10psi overnight

Comment

Working...
                    X