• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stefan
    replied
    Re: New tires from TireBob!

Originally posted by popp View Post
    Stefan, I don't know if you were running the x-ice and the x-ice2. The x-ice2 is the iphone 5 and the x-ice is the iPhone 1st gen
    Thinking about it, I think the were not the 2s.

Leave a comment:

• popp
    replied

Stefan, I don't know if you were running the x-ice and the x-ice2. The x-ice2 is the iphone 5 and the x-ice is the iPhone 1st gen

Leave a comment:

• MechEngg
    replied

I'm running x-ice2's on my GLI and they are awesome. Of course not as good as studded tires on ice but if we have a winter like we did last year studded tires might wear out pretty quickly. Winterclaw's just suck haha, almost as good as some all season tires out there :P

Leave a comment:

• stefan
    replied

Originally posted by popp View Post
    They really really are........ Winter tires are one of the rare items that more money = better! There is a HUGE difference between a Blizzak and a ws2. At the end of the day, the crappiest winter tire is still better then the best all season tire BUT the best winter is 1000% better then the crappiest winter. I would pay the extra $500 without question when it comes to winters and my families safety!

Here is my rating scale from driving on ALL of these options......
    1: Hakk 7 (studded)
    2: Any other studded
    3: Tie between Nokian Hakk R, Bridgestone Blizzak (LM-60,LM-25,WS70) or Michelin (X-ICE2, Pilot Alpin)
    4: Continental ExtremeWinterContact
    5: Yoko Iceguard IG20
    6: Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II
    7: Federal, Hankook, or Falken,
    8: WinterClaw

I'd have to put the x-ice lower. I haven't notice massive differences in the winter tires I have used, but the x-ice was one of the ones I liked least. It did poorly in wet-with-a-little-slush conditions. Was way too easy to break them loose in these situations. They were good on ice, I will say. But we get a lot of slush! The ones I ran after the ice-x was the yoko IG, and that worked better in my opinion.
    Last edited by stefan; 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• popp
    replied

Originally posted by stefan View Post
    Seems that the Federal ws2's are well received by Bob's clients at least. I know blizzaks are good, those were where my other option as well, but their markup is huge. Not sure that they would be 500$ awesom-er.
    They really really are........ Winter tires are one of the rare items that more money = better! There is a HUGE difference between a Blizzak and a ws2. At the end of the day, the crappiest winter tire is still better then the best all season tire BUT the best winter is 1000% better then the crappiest winter. I would pay the extra $500 without question when it comes to winters and my families safety!

Here is my rating scale from driving on ALL of these options......
    1: Hakk 7 (studded)
    2: Any other studded
    3: Tie between Nokian Hakk R, Bridgestone Blizzak (LM-60,LM-25,WS70) or Michelin (X-ICE2, Pilot Alpin)
    4: Continental ExtremeWinterContact
    5: Yoko Iceguard IG20
    6: Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II
    7: Federal, Hankook, or Falken,
    8: WinterClaw
    Last edited by popp; 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stefan
    replied

Seems that the Federal ws2's are well received by Bob's clients at least. I know blizzaks are good, those were where my other option as well, but their markup is huge. Not sure that they would be 500$ awesom-er.

Leave a comment:

• popp
    replied

I have hakk 7's on the benz....... AWD + Studs = 140km/hr while there is a blizzard on the ring road

Leave a comment:

• Hardy_Boy
    replied

I was talking to Bob the other day and I'm trying to decide between the Himalayas and Blizzaks. there's a good $500 difference between them. I have ws-70's on my Jetta, and I'm not thrilled with them, I'd give them an 8/10. I want a awesome tire for my golf that will see 100 km a day on deerfoot with no problems.

Leave a comment:

• Red90
    replied

Oh, you will hear them!!

Leave a comment:

• stefan
    replied

Originally posted by asp gti View Post
    cant go wrong with Urban X, nothing but great experiences from me and my friends who have used them. im going federal himalayas as well. are studs quite loud? i was considering but not sure about them
    From what I understand, it's pretty much as said above. You will hear it at lower speeds, but less noticeable at high speed. First time I am trying studs, so we will see I suppose!

Leave a comment:

• 96vwVR6
    replied

studs can make a tire quite loud, I run the Nokian Hakk 5 studded winter tires, they come pre-studded from factory and they actually have a soft gel spot under the stud so when its warmer out the stud actually sucks up into the tire a bit so it doesnt wear prematurely and isnt quite as loud. above 60 kph i dont even notice the stud noise.

Leave a comment:

• asp gti
    replied

cant go wrong with Urban X, nothing but great experiences from me and my friends who have used them. im going federal himalayas as well. are studs quite loud? i was considering but not sure about them

Leave a comment:

• stefan
    started a topic New tires from TireBob!

New tires from TireBob!

Thanks to Bob and crew at Urban Expressions for getting myself and a couple co-workers set for winter. Great service as usual.

Going with Federal Hymalayas this time round, and adding studs, for good measure. Will wait a few more weeks before putting them on though.
Working...
X