Eurodrivers $$$ suggestion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurodrivers $$$ suggestion!

Now we all know that Eurodrivers is a bit different then the typical online forum since its a smaller tighter knit local group.. but one thing that is quite a bit different from most others is the membership fee. I admittedly havent had a membership in a few years.. (I know, poor form on my part.. Im mostly an online member as I dont make it to many events or meets) and I have a question/suggestion regarding that.

Now I know that these sites arent free to run.... (hence the membership fee) but it seems like every other week/month etc there is a new member hocking some sort of good to the members, whether its car related or not. Now I dont think this is much of a stretch, but why not start charging the people that use the forum as their personal marketing device and in turn not charge a membership fee? There are at least a few members that have made thousands of dollars from work and or products stemming from this site, and I feel that its only fair that they start paying for an advertiser account. Otherwise its every member that is basically paying for these companies marketing and bandwidth while the companies themelves may not even have valid memberships!

To me it makes sense... I have no idea the costs related with each, but I figure you could start off small ($200-500) and work your way up based on the amount of posts and or signage on the site.

Mark

Re: Eurodrivers $$$ suggestion!

umm, no?

Comment

Yeah, no.

If anything I like the "premium member section"
      Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
      2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I get where this is coming from and why (due to recent posts) but at you said it is a small group, there is no return on investment there. You will only drive away the people trying to help other people out.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

i wouldn't be against the idea
          Last edited by T-Dubbs; 08-15-2012, 01:59 PM.
          ~~TODD~~
          '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

What are some of these examples of members bringing up goods to sell to other members? The only one i can think of lately (besides that annoying keyfob silicone protective shell guy) is Rob who was doing everybody a favor and making hidden hitches for almost the straight cost of the material...
            I can understand making sure that they are actually keeping up with their membership fee's but if somebody is a member of the community and pays their dues and is giving people a discount for the work they provide i think this should be a non-issue.

So in a word i would say NO

Comment

The three most active (and have probably made the most) are Jordan (JAW), Natty (Parts) and possibly Jeff.. I think (3m)

I really don't understand what people would actually have against this... If a business is using the forum to actively advertise and make money, why shouldn't the forum be able to recoup some of their costs from them instead of charging the members? Right now it's certain companies that are making money off the site, which in turn is paid for by it's members. As in you are paying for these companies marketing expenses!!
              If you could ever get to the point where the site was actually Profitable ( I say IF as from what i understand Beyond.ca still doesnt make a profit, an they are significanty Larger) it could go to show entry fees or something.

Edit: I would apply this to actual business, not cottage type or hobby items. Ie the trailer hitches. If t were a major store retailer I'd say it's fair game!
              Last edited by R-Audi; 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

The philosophy has always been to grant vendors the permission to promote themselves and their businesses on the board in exchange for discounts to paid members. This has been done for two main reasons, firstly to encourage members to keep active with dues and new members to sign up as there are far more of them then vendors in the grand scheme of things and looking out for the members is the main purpose of this site and community. Secondly most of the vendors advertising are small businesses, people (usually members) just starting out or making a small go of it and they can generally not justify paying an advertising fee as in many cases it would not be cost effective for them, and may often just pass on advertising on Eurodrivers as the market size is not massive.

This website and club could be considered profitable as hosting is generously donated by long-time member Bart and the Google ads can usually support the remainder of the annual web site costs such as software licensing and registration. The remainder of the club dues cover things like sticker and admin costs and over the last few years contributing to the Euroquake/Autounion show costs that have been mostly carried by Chris at Das Auto. I have never had the aim of creating this site to be a money maker and really just do it to keep the community growing and keep you guys as happy as I can, that is really all. I do see the benefit of charging vendors but I am not sure someone like Natty would want to pay $20 a month or something for his privileges, plus the costs would probably be just passed back to you guys so not sure it would work at this current size or level, and then members are paying dues and higher prices which is not what I want at all. If the site was 5-10 times the size and we had a few more willing advertisers I could see changing the policy, but at this point I am not sure it makes a lot of sense, plus I personally hate forums that are cluttered with ads, so I like it simple and to the point.

Those are my thoughts on the subject.
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi View Post
                  As in you are paying for these companies marketing expenses!!
                  i definitly disagree with this point here^. i know i have only been apart of this group/forum for like 5 or 6 months now, but to me i don't think "We" are paying for those companies marketing expenses. The 30 bucks or what ever it is for a membership per year, is paid out of respect for everything this website has given us (at least in my mind it is). whether its, communication or asking for help/advice. i have probably saved thousands of dollars on repairs/installs that i probably would have taken to some shop that would charge 100bucks/hour.

i agree with sean's point. no

Comment

Where's DJ when we need him?

Comment

I like things the way they are. Please leave it as it is.
                      Mike
                      '14 Toyota 4Runner SR5
                      '04 Jetta Wagon 1.8T

Comment

+1 for ban!
                        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I do not sell anything on here but I agree to no. I am also not a paying member (sorry)

i pay for/host the dasdubbers site so we/members didn't have stupid ads and also then the content belongs to the site/members and not some other shoddy place with it in the TOs.

That also being said IF people here were to get upset over paying for the hosting while not having paying members it could be hosted on my host I would imagine as it is being paid for anyway

Comment

What Blair said...

We still pay for stickers, cards and other things (show signs,etc)

SOOOO everyone just so you know i'm keeping track of memberships now. So be honest. Pay to play and support the club and your community!

This is a full non-profit club all. Blair and I have never taken a cent from the bank account. Payments go to sticker/print shops, das autohaus for Autounion/euroquake and other supporting groups. Guess what! Club funds at the year end will help pay for a club party at Schanks or the likes too

So those that know your membership is expired please renew at the next meet or even this weekend if your heading to Red Deer. Your support is appreciated!

Comment

Hey Ryan, are you in to taking fees via PayPal or Emt? I don't get to meets anymore but use the site a lot....
                              Stefan
                              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                              X