Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.7t Leaking Fuel Injectors Below -30C...Solution Found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.7t Leaking Fuel Injectors Below -30C...Solution Found!

Well, maybe! I have a brother-in-law who's an engineer. He clued me in to the Viton rubber (the OEM o-ring material for the fuel injectors) turns rock-hard below about -30C. Obviously, this won't do. Especially in Yellowknife.

He said that if I could find o-rings made of flurosilicone, they'd be good down to -70. Much better. Here's the specs from the Columbia Engineered Rubber website: http://www.columbiaerd.com/fluorosilicone_orings.php

As you can see, the rubber compund is suitable for use at high temps, low temps, and with fuel.

I asked for a quote on the o-rings, and here are the prices (from their email to me):
    "Size: -203

Material: 75 Durometer FVMQ, Black

12 O-Rings - $1.6280/ea
    48 O-Rings - $0.5629/ea
    60 O-Rings - $0.4919/ea"

The specs are 7.52mm x 3.53mm, same as the OEM ones (the "size -203" refers to the AS568 standard.) See here for the sizing chart:
    http://www.columbiaerd.com/Images/or...e%20Manual.pdf

OEM o-ring: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...2.7T/ES248362/

Question: does anyone want some of these if I order them?
    2002 Audi allroad 6-speed MT
    Unitronic stage 1, Arnott coil-overs (d-bagged?)

Re: 2.7t Leaking Fuel Injectors Below -30C...Solution Found!

This is GB I'm interested in... um, I have four 5zyl engines... so that means 500?

haha

Put me in for 20 @ $0.50 ea if you can swing it.

Obviously we'd have to confirm specific sizes between OEM and aftermarket (EV14 style) injectors but we should be good to giddy up.

Cheers,

Dustin.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Nice find! It seems the 2.7T & 1.8T share the same injector o-ring size.

No surprise really, but I checked anyway to be sure... http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ing/ES2594546/

I'm in

Edit: Dustin... I see you beat me to the first post... well I'll see your 20 o-rings and raise you 10 to 30 o-rings... @ $0.50 ea if possible.
      Last edited by All_Euro; 01-03-2014, 11:21 PM.
      Work - houzz / linkedin
      Play - haldex swap

Comment

Okay, once I get confirmation that the order's been received I will update everyone.

Comment

I will take 100@.50
          I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

frig i'd take new ones too

i just replaced all 12 of mine a few weeks ago and the damn things still leak when its cold on only 1 injector which makes me think the OEM ones are old-crappy rubber?

i removed the rail the other day and reseated it all again and it seemed to fix it again now so maybe i had one slightly off somehow but i'd replace them all again

i'm down for 24 of them

Comment

Ryan, the fuel line to the rail leaks in the cold where it is crimped on. We've fixed about 4 of them so far this year.
              Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
              2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

But I'll take 20 of these as well.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Whoa, great response! If it's okay with everyone, I'll add a few cents to the cost of each one to cover my shipping costs, trips to the post office, envelopes etc. I've updated the order and should hear back from them Monday.

Eurodrivers FTW.

Comment

hey colin.. the fuel intake is OK just the one front one leaks when its like -15 even but as soon as it warms up its fine... pissing me off.. time to switch over to japanese cars soon lol

Comment

hey guys you think you can get older orings from the dealer? i think so because 2 of them still fucking leak when i parked it out last night -27.. as soon as it warms up no more leaks.. really starting to annoy me.. might pull the entire **** apart again in the garage and redo it all again with new o-rings again and clips

Comment

Ryan. Fix the hose. It's a known problem.
                        Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                        2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I would like 48 if possible. Thanks for looking into this.

Also, I'm sure everyone who runs them is aware anyway, but... If you run EV14 injectors on a 2.7t you should really shave a couple mm off of the fuel rail mounting posts so that the injectors seat properly. They are a tad bit shorter than OEM and may not seat correctly causing leaks
                          Kyle
                          2000 Audi S4

Comment

UPDATE.........New price: $0.67/per. The original supplier misquoted and didn't have the proper rubber available; please see the text from their emails to me below:

"Good Morning, Anson,

I’m terribly sorry. Our supplier mis-quoted us on this O-Ring and they actually do not have this size in the fluorosilicone you’ve requested. I’ve reached on to two other suppliers this morning and will provide updated quotation and lead time as soon as I received feedback.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

Regards,
                            Michelle Subler
                            Columbia Engineered Rubber, Inc."

Then this morning:

"Material: Fluorosilicone, 70 Durometer, Blue

Size: -203

500 O-Rings: $0.6687/ea

FOB: Dayton, OH

Ship: 3-4 Weeks.

Once again, thank you for your interest in Columbia Engineered Rubber. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with at this time."

So...with that in mind, does anyone want to change/cancel their order? Speak up if you want it cancelled, otherwise I'll proceed with the order on Wednesday.

So far, I've got:
                            • YKallroad 24
                            • PRY4SNO 20
                            • All_Euro 30
                            • Mantis 100
                            • Ryan 24
                            • BaggedGLI 20
                            • Smarty39 48
                            • golf1 100

Total: 366

I'll keep my order with them at 500: no doubt there will be people later who need these.

I've also been in touch with Calgary Autoworks to see about having them take delivery and distribute these to Forum users who are down in Alberta.

Comment

fine with me..

Comment

Working...
                              X