Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compustar

Originally posted by TurboMedic
    Hosed is what I would say! This coming from an inside source....but hey, I wanred people!
    FYI: Searching google images for "hosed" is NSFW.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
      This compustar thing has been badly beaten to death! That sounds like a good deal, but from what I know about alarms, there are many options (example: how many sensors you are having installed, and what they sense) and so I would suspect that a price difference of 50% may not include the same options.

But, maybe we are just getting hosed.
      actually that includes trunk, doors and hood sensors...so ya maybe you guys are getting hosed, but listen up if any of you guys got as day to kill drive to reddeer and get it done i ll talk to the guy he is a good buddy of mine maybe he can cut a better deal if we do a few more cars!
      *Wetterauer Chip*Brullen DP*ABD Turbo Inlet Pipe*ABD Upper Strut Bar*C-1 Short Shifter*Forge 007 DV*Supersprtint CatBack*Votex Body Kit*H&R Coilovers*ABD Front Sway Bar*Smoked E-Codes*Velocity CAI*W8 Overhead Console*

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
        FYI: Searching google images for "hosed" is NSFW.

Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

A base install is 4-500 bucks. Integrating it with the factory alarm, adding shock sensors, hood and trunk pins, turbo timer, remote window and sunroof opening/closing. Oh and those 400 buck installed deals are never for a manual, most shops like A&B/Visions have only just started working with them. 12V (garage installer on Beyond) blew a 500$ immobilzer on an install - and since he's not insured the buyer pays (I think they split the cost). I could have found somewhere to do it for a bit cheaper but the installers I talked to had no clue about things like our keys closing sunroof etc. As if I want a guy rushing with my electronics because he's trying to beat a budget.

What's puzzling is this is the same group that has no problem paying hundreds for a grill or a bumper or thousands for wheels that only other enthusiasts will recognise...

I also compared a few other people that had compustars in auto trucks, Acuras, Volvos etc - all were 800+

Khyron
          Last edited by Khyron; 10-29-2004, 02:09 PM.
          Geoff
          Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I think that's the big question with the VW install "Will all my existing electronics work with this system?" I could see it being cheaper if they just bypassed everything but you'd end up losing your windows closing with the key and the immob. and whatnot. I have a lot of respect for Audio Concepts, I know many people that dealt with them, I have a hard time believing they would "Hose" you at all much less by double (they were one of the places that quoted ~$800. Also, there's been a few people here that have been quoted 4-500 bucks only to find out later when they went to get it installed, whoever quoted them didn't investigate and look into the ACTUAL vehicle it was being installed into and made an assumption based on numorous other models. Just my thoughts.
            Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna
              I think that's the big question with the VW install "Will all my existing electronics work with this system?" I could see it being cheaper if they just bypassed everything but you'd end up losing your windows closing with the key and the immob. and whatnot. I have a lot of respect for Audio Concepts, I know many people that dealt with them, I have a hard time believing they would "Hose" you at all much less by double (they were one of the places that quoted ~$800. Also, there's been a few people here that have been quoted 4-500 bucks only to find out later when they went to get it installed, whoever quoted them didn't investigate and look into the ACTUAL vehicle it was being installed into and made an assumption based on numorous other models. Just my thoughts.
              On one hand I agree with you Jason. Audio Concepts does know what they are doing - I would say they are the best at what they do. On the other hand, their time does not come cheap. Its fair, but not cheap. Basically this is supply and demand, since they have customers literally bring their cars from all over the world for the expertise of Audio Concepts. So I would not be surprised if other places can beat their quotes.

I also agree with you that I think there may be differences in how these different places connect to VW's system including immobilizer.

Shady shops will also quote you less, then charge you more at the end of the install. If you know someone who works there this is less likely, but we all know it happens.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i guess i will be completley honest with you guys, i am taking two more cars there to get done and its 500 with the other two cars going there, and the other reason its that cheap is b/c the guy doing it installed my stereo and i show my car at his shows, and i am quite confident that if i took more cars there the deal would get even sweeter!
                *Wetterauer Chip*Brullen DP*ABD Turbo Inlet Pipe*ABD Upper Strut Bar*C-1 Short Shifter*Forge 007 DV*Supersprtint CatBack*Votex Body Kit*H&R Coilovers*ABD Front Sway Bar*Smoked E-Codes*Velocity CAI*W8 Overhead Console*

Comment

Originally posted by Geo1.8T
                  i guess i will be completley honest with you guys, i am taking two more cars there to get done and its 500 with the other two cars going there, and the other reason its that cheap is b/c the guy doing it installed my stereo and i show my car at his shows, and i am quite confident that if i took more cars there the deal would get even sweeter!
                  Then get me a deal on just the electronics itself.. The whole interior will be out of my car soon anyways
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                    Then get me a deal on just the electronics itself.. The whole interior will be out of my car soon anyways

man these guys do really good work, i was at their shop the other day and they were doing like 30 g's worth of stuff to a H2 it was sick!!! there of to SEMA this week but ill talk to them when they get back

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                      On one hand I agree with you Jason. Audio Concepts does know what they are doing - I would say they are the best at what they do. On the other hand, their time does not come cheap. Its fair, but not cheap. Basically this is supply and demand, since they have customers literally bring their cars from all over the world for the expertise of Audio Concepts. So I would not be surprised if other places can beat their quotes.

I also agree with you that I think there may be differences in how these different places connect to VW's system including immobilizer.

Shady shops will also quote you less, then charge you more at the end of the install. If you know someone who works there this is less likely, but we all know it happens.
                      True enough they probably are more expensive labour wise, I guess I was just using them as an example, it seemed like there were 2 groups on this, those that said it was under $500, and those that said it was over $800.
                      Jay

Comment

im getting mine done next week here in calgary, every option possible for $600 brand new compustar, and they said it is going to take them like 5-6 hours
                        '99 GTI in the works

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/vwconvr...s/fearthis.gif

Comment

The module to lower your windows/open sunroof is 200 dollars alone. Let us know how it goes.

Khyron
                          Geoff

Comment

So did you get the compustar?
                            Geoff

Comment

Working...
                            X