b5 s4 vs b5 A4 prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: b5 s4 vs b5 A4 prices?

It's no secret, they are getting to be old and most people know to stay away from the 2.7TT, If you're not specifically looking for an S4 an A4 has most of what the S4 has but a more reliable engine.

Just like people in the 80's knew to stay away from the Pinto, they are just waiting to blow.
    Last edited by Tuna; 09-15-2010, 09:01 PM.
    Jay

Comment

The 2.7T is very reliable. It just has 2x as many of everything as the 1.8T. People make the 2.7T unreliable by pushing the turbos and motor beyond what they were designed for.
      Jordan
      Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
      JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
      (403) 690-7135
      jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
        The 2.7T is very reliable. It just has 2x as many of everything as the 1.8T. People make the 2.7T unreliable by pushing the turbos and motor beyond what they were designed for.
        No, actually Audi did haha.
        Jay

Comment

jordan is right people who push them too hard.. bag them.. don't follow proper turbo motor care dump on them.

even a stock S4/A4/A6 the turbos will crap if you don't drive them right with warm up/cool down periods

you can blow a turbo on a 1.8t even..

erik and i had a good conversation about this today when i gave him a visit

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
            No, actually Audi did haha.
            Jason,

Not to be rude in any degree, but how much experience do you have with the 2.7T? I'd just like to know what experience is causing you to form the opinion that you have...
            Jordan
            Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

You're not being rude, I (purposely) have very little experience with the 2.7T.

I know there's a ton of people on here that love them and I'm sure they are a great tuning engine.

The original topic was why is the B5 S4 so cheap compared to "just" and A4. I think we can all agree that many people were aware that the S4's were known for prematurely having big dollar problems even while still under warranty.

Everyone says they are great if they were meticulously maintained, and that's probably true, the problem is, even the fans on this forum agree that unless the history of the car is meticulously documented that potential buyers should be cautious, in turn making a B5 S4 a tougher sell as these cars are getting in to their 3rd and 4th owners (people that could afford a new one have long since moved on).

An A4 has the (much more common) 1.8t or even the standard v6 which I think most can agree are not trouble free but are not known for the big dollar maintenance.

Audi made an awesome car but for someone looking for a daily driver, in stock form, etc. A4 would be a more logical choice in my opinion. Also, without a chip it only makes 250 hp which now days is nothing spectacular.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit: I know you're a huge fan and I don't expect you to understand my point of view and that's ok. But most people aren't like yourself or Graeme or others who will pull the engine out themselves several times to work on them.
              Last edited by Tuna; 09-16-2010, 10:48 PM.
              Jay

Comment

Gotcha. So if I understand you correctly, you don't really have any experience with the motor. I agree with most of what you're saying, but I can tell you from experience that with reasonable maintenance, the 2.7T is just as reliable as anything else. And the journal-bearing turbos are just as unrealiable as any other JB turbo

I agree that for the person interested in a grocery getter, and nothing more, the A4 is a great option. But then again the Camry is a far better option. Granted the A4 has AWD and is a lot nicer than a Camry, but you get my drift. If a person wanted a reliabe car that is reasonably fun, the S4 is a nice car. For the guy who wants a fairly reliable car that is tons of fun, a Stage 3 S4 can hardly be beat for the $$$ spent on initial purchase + maintenance. Think about it, how much would you have to spend to get a 500hp car with AWD, 4 doors, and a cushy interior? You can get a Stage 3 S4 for around $10-15k these days, and even if you pay an extra $5k getting all the neglected mainentance done so the car is up to snuff, that's a heck of a good deal for what you're getting.

Thanks for the explanation of your opinion. Have a great night.

Jordan
                Jordan
                Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
                  Gotcha. So if I understand you correctly, you don't really have any experience with the motor. I agree with most of what you're saying, but I can tell you from experience that with reasonable maintenance, the 2.7T is just as reliable as anything else. And the journal-bearing turbos are just as unrealiable as any other JB turbo
                  ok, but getting at one of those turbos doesn't take 12 to 24 hours.

I agree that for the person interested in a grocery getter, and nothing more, the A4 is a great option. But then again the Camry is a far better option.
                  Not really the point, many people, when considering an older A4 likely aren't cross shopping for a Camry.

To the OP, I'm sure like everyone has said, if you keep your vehicle well documented and take good care of it, it will fetch an above average price should you ever decide to sell.
                  Jay

Comment

haha jason its all a contest of who can fit the biggest motor under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                      ok, but getting at one of those turbos doesn't take 12 to 24 hours.
                      True, but the time it takes to replace the turbo doesn't change how reliable said turbo is. Even if you blow a turbo on a 1.8T it's going to cost you a pretty penny to replace.

Bottom line, Audi's are fairly reliable, really comfortable, and a lot of fun to drive. Toyota's are OK at best inside the car, boring as sin to drive, but you may as well weld the hood shut, because you're never gonna need to open it anyway.

Comparing reliability between 2 turbo-charged Audis is nit-picking. If you want a REAL step up in reliability from an S4, buy a Camry.
                      Last edited by The_Jerbel; 09-17-2010, 09:20 AM.
                      Jordan
                      Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

Working...
                      X