And so the teardown begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And so the teardown begins...

Hey, what do you want for the side view mirrors? My limit's a Venti Americano - no room
    Work - houzz / linkedin
    Play - haldex swap

Comment

Timewarp bump!! Got busy with work then the holidays, and now I realize all the sudden that I'm in midterms and haven't updated my thread in forever!

The car's gonzo so I figured I'd post up what I have left of pics.

Couldn't have completed the part-out without the help of my friends and family, you know who you are. Thanks again!

^^^ Goddamn hubs are hard to remove... tips/tricks/suggestions for next time? I ended up just sending the front ones away since they're too fat for the CQ anyways.

There are more kicking around since Photobucket missed a bunch in the batch upload. If I find some gooders that were missed they'll follow.

Overall it was a lot of fun dismantling the car, got to see how it all goes together so (in theory) it should be a million times easier to retrofit the A4 when the garage opens up again. Really couldn't believe how hard it was to get the car hauled away once the engine/tranny/drive axles were removed. Even told one guy about the car and when he showed up with a flatdeck he refused because of no profit margin. So for anyone else in a similar situation, Cargon Auto is great to deal with here in Edmonton. Fast and friendly, he hauled it away free.
      Last edited by PRY4SNO; 01-29-2011, 12:01 AM.
      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

hubs require alot of swearing/strength and a good breaker bar to pop the bolt out..plus it helps if its on the ground not lifted like that

graeme did a screwdriver trick but you have no brakes so no go for that either

Comment

liquid wrench, heat, 4' breaker bar.
          i too did the screwdriver trick in the brakes.

good mcguyver skills on that one
          Team Highschool
          Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Now that the teardown A4 is out how about some pics of the buildup A4... muscle your way into the garage and do it up
            Last edited by All_Euro; 01-29-2011, 10:26 PM.
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

Have somebody press the brake pedal before you pull the front brakes off and brake the axle bolt loose. It's easier than waiting until after the brakes are removed

Did the parts pickup go okay, Dustin?
              Jordan
              Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
              JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
              (403) 690-7135
              jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
                Have somebody press the brake pedal before you pull the front brakes off and brake the axle bolt loose. It's easier than waiting until after the brakes are removed

Did the parts pickup go okay, Dustin?
                Nice, I'll do that when I upgrade the CQ.

Yeah, I went to Auto-Camping and scooped my loot no problem just need to get word about my oil pump from Alstrom.

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
                  Now that the teardown A4 is out how about some pics of the buildup A4... muscle your way into the garage and do it up
                  Odds are I'll have to shovel the car out from under 6'-10' of snow before any new photos as the A4 hasn't moved from where it's sat since Thanksgiving (sorry Chris!).

When the time comes to swap the motor, delete the emissions and swap the interior & headlights I'll document the whole process more meticulously. This was a dry run, and now have a few insights that will make things more straightforward next time for sure.

For now I'll have to see what I can do to help the ol' boy get his control arms swapped as he's finding this DIY BS isn't really always so straightforward as it is from the keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                    liquid wrench, heat, 4' breaker bar.
                    i too did the screwdriver trick in the brakes.

good mcguyver skills on that one
                    Thanks, but I can't take credit for the "McGuyver skills" as the idea came from Mike. Not to mention:

Eddie sped things up by suggesting to drop the subframe to get at the drivetrain instead of doing it piece by piece. Four bolts. Done.

Once the wiring harness was pulled and all the shiny bits removed it was down to removing the rear bumper and the car was down to a shell.

On a sidenote, I wonder what the chances are I could find some tie rods to fit so I could try and use this badboy on the coupe and save me a G plus.
                    Last edited by PRY4SNO; 01-30-2011, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X