• Show
Clear All

Re: S4 RP turbo failures

because he's racist.
    Jess

2010 Jetta TDI 6 SPD - Stock Comfortline model

Comment

k so am I getting this right, I looked at the RP turbos and from kinetic motorsport's posting they were listed at 699 USD!!!! how is that considered a "reasonable" price for a turbo? That is like saying a $10 t-shirt from wal-mart is reasonably priced.... its not reasonably priced its dirt azz cheap.

Granted I haven't looked at the BW equivalent, and I haven't been in the market for a turbo for a while but I would expect to pay at the bare minimum $1500 (if you are buying new) for a decent turbo. Anything much cheaper than that and I would stay away from it.

As you obviously know, turbos are not just something you can slap together, they require precise construction and balancing, which requires a lot of engineering and testing which is exactly what you are paying for in a high quality turbo. I have forgotten what RPMs on average the blades turn at but it has to be in the 20+k rpm, so any imbalance on the compressor or turbine side due to a manufacture defect or what have you, is going to equal a turbo that won't perform properly and eventually disaster.

It really baffles me to see people with S4s putting cheap quality items on their cars just to save a buck, these vehicles weren't produced to be cheap vehicles and the fact that you can pick up earlier ones at a steal doesn't mean they are any cheaper to maintain.
      Last edited by J-hop; 11-12-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

again, i wouldn't call RP's cheap, either in the price sense or the quality sense. They;ve had a very small sample of issues, but what you dont hear about is the 10's of thousands of units they've sold without any problems.

$700 isn't cheap either way you cut it, but $1500 certainly is expensive. I dont know how BW justifies what it charges for a turbo, maybe because there has been no competition for so long now that they've just been able to dictate the pricing.

for every issue i've heard about RP i've seen 20+ threads praising them.
        Take everything you read with a grain of salt.
        Team Highschool
        Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
          oh look whos back posting in the audi section with his asspat......

you guys are acting like BW have never had issues with their turbos at all. thats simply not the case. RP's failing, and lets face it its a very small % of the total amount sold, is just the new 15 minutes of news.
          You know, I find it really funny that when your buddies at Kinetic and CTS are selling Chinaturbos that have a bunch of threads about them failing you come out saying that they're nothing but reliable. But when other people use aftermarket products that no evidence of failure they're "cheap aftermaket junk". Do you ever get tired of being proven wrong or getting caught contradicting yourself? Or do I just have to keep working on you until you get it though your head that you're not God's gift to tuning?

PS: If you think I'm going to stay off here just because you want me to, you're sadly mistaken. So see you around douchey smurf
          Last edited by Mister T; 11-14-2010, 11:03 PM.
          "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Comment

Haha, Mister T is crying into his passat.

Comment

Nope, just callin' them like I see em.
              "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Comment

first off i could care less what CTS or kinetic sells. i dont make a dime from them.
                second, if you want to pay an arm and a leg for BW's overpriced turbos that are made in the same factories in china you can go right ahead.
                there's paying for quality parts, then theres just overpaying. if you want to do the latter go right ahead.
                third, i dont want you to leave, its so entertaining when you post. gives me something to look forward to. i mean where else can we be graced by the rare b5 audi passat with a turbo upgrade? i mean that $hits RARE!
                Team Highschool

Comment

I didn't ruin a thread for once!
                  Jess

Comment

you just did.
                    Team Highschool

Comment

:(
                      Jess

Comment

Working...
                      X