No announcement yet.

Balljoint bearing cup guide thingies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Balljoint bearing cup guide thingies?

That tool will work you put one end on the ball joint stud and the other on the cup. You can get it off if you really wanted to, but it might be better in the end to get new spindles, as the cup needs to sit snug and if it came out easily it was probably loose in there.

Comment

Originally posted by shconer View Post
      That tool will work you put one end on the ball joint stud and the other on the cup. You can get it off if you really wanted to, but it might be better in the end to get new spindles, as the cup needs to sit snug and if it came out easily it was probably loose in there.
      The only way to know for sure is to remove the bushing and attempt to reinstall. Well really you should remove the bushing and measure it's diameter and the bore of the hole, there is likely no spec for this as the oem would consider this a service part. However, the fit may still be very tight and the bushing may need to be pressed into the hub. If this is not the case than I agree that new spindles are in order.

An alternate means of pulling the bushing would be to use a three leg puller, or a bearing puller of the appropriate size. Can you reinstall the ball joint assembly into the control arm? If so an appropriate ball joint removal tool will work to remove the ball joint and leave the bushing in place. Did you by any chance remove the ball joint by pounding it out with a hammer?
      GT3071R and more...

Comment

It came apart with no hammer or force. I undid the bolt and wiggled the control arm and pulled it out. Some control arms came out without the spindle, others came with the spindle.

I'm not re-using these control arms. I have a whole new control arm kit, which is why this is apart . I can't fit the new control arms into the hub assembly without these spindles.

Are we calling these bushing things "spindles" going forward? Spindles spindles spindles

Yes I'd like to take these spindles off the tapered end of the control arms. Then I can reuse them.

Worst case scenario is I'll need new hub assemblies? Where can I get them for a good price? Audi won't spit before they stick it in.
        D.J.
        Turbo SVT Focus
        Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

I call the hub assembly a spindle, whatever. If they just fell out you'll have to replace the hub assembly or or try and replace those cups and press them in. Even if you could get them off they wont have an interference fit with the hub assembly anymore.

Comment

This gut had same problem http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4/threads/7969.phtml .

Comment

Replace them as recommended, if they slid out the bushings or spindle/hub they are no longer good. FWIW I was suggesting reinstalling than separating the bj with a proper tool. The correct tool will separate the ball joint by applying pressure to the correct surfaces, and would leave the bushing inside the spindle/hub. Not that you did, but hammering a ball joint out would cause vibration which could separate the bushing more easily. Since they just slid out, it is safe to assume the assembly is worn.

For more clarification, I refer to spindle as the assembly which is connected to the control arms, the hub would be the rotating member, and the spindle the fixed member. Some vehicles have hubs which can be changed independant of the spindle assembly.

edit - that was a good link. The part that is stuck onto the ball joint is a simple bushing, there to ensure a taper fit, in a piece of metal that is not ideal for such a design to accept.
              Last edited by sabbySC; 09-06-2011, 09:35 PM.
              GT3071R and more...

Comment

Ah yes, that link is perfect. Let me say that I have the correct control arms with the correct ball joints for my aluminum spindle/hub assembly. I have brand new ones that I wish to install. I can not install them because the "bushing cup thingy" is currently stuck to the tapered end of my OLD control arms.

If possible, I would like to purchase the "simple bushing to ensure a taper fit", from somewhere. My ONLY other options (if I can't buy that bushing) is to purcahse an entirely new spindle/hub assembly.

I'd prefer to purchase the "simple bushing" because it'd be a lot cheaper But what ever needs to be done I'll do of course.

Any recommendations? I sent photos to the VW dealership here, hopefully they'll have an answer. Perhaps they have access to that "simple bushing" part number. If not, I'm going to be hooped and need to purchase the entire new spindle/hub assembly.

If I need to purchase new spindle/hub assemblies, does anyone have any recommandations? I'd prefer not to buy them directly from audi, as they will be stupid expensive.
                D.J.
                Turbo SVT Focus
                Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Even if you could get new inserts for the hub assembly they probably wont fit properly because the loose fitting steel insert has most likely worn the soft aluminum that holds it.

Comment

Originally posted by shconer View Post
                    Even if you could get new inserts for the hub assembly they probably wont fit properly because the loose fitting steel insert has most likely worn the soft aluminum that holds it.
                    probs right. What I need are new spindles. Hmmmmm now where to get new spindles? Thing that sucks about new spnidles, is i'll end up getting the steel ones..... Which means rust! :(
                    Last edited by aliencurv; 09-06-2011, 10:22 PM.
                    D.J.
                    Turbo SVT Focus
                    Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

I'm ordering new spindles. I found 2001 versions. Are the only difference of the aluminum and steel spindles the cup for the tapered end? Because my control arm kit appears to have both size control arms. Which will fit both 2000 and 2001.
                      D.J.
                      Turbo SVT Focus
                      Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

DJ if you buy new uprights you need new wheel bearings if you go to aluminum ones.. i swear you do.. ryan (BB) will know for sure tho

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                          DJ if you buy new uprights you need new wheel bearings if you go to aluminum ones.. i swear you do.. ryan (BB) will know for sure tho
                          New wheel bearings are already on order from ECS Tuning. I just ordered the 2001 spindles. Found them from car-parts.com, located a few KM east of Ottawa. So they should be here in the next 2 days. Paid $450 for driver and passenger spindle including rush shipping. Real good guys to work with. Guy was telling me about his twin turbo mustang that put down 700 wheel HP..... And his friend who is building a 800 HP RS4 ...

The company is Used Euro Parts (www.usedeuroparts.ca)
                          D.J.
                          Turbo SVT Focus
                          Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

oh nice! going to the aluminums means no welded in pinchy boltsz! and maybe a 50lbs less

Comment

Damn too late, I bought used UrS4 hubs from Shokan for $188 shipped (plus cost of new bushings).
                              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                              Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                              Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                                Damn too late, I bought used UrS4 hubs from Shokan for $188 shipped (plus cost of new bushings).
                                That's a great price!

To get back on the road, I bought...
                                - 2 x 2001 Spindles (used from usedeuroparts.ca)
                                - 2 x wheel bearings (ecs tuning)
                                - 2 x new hubs (Ecs tuning)
                                - 2 x braided brakelines (Ecs)
                                - valve cover kit (Ecs)
                                - Cabin Filter (ecs)
                                - rs4 Hydraulic engine mounts (ecs)

Hopefully it all arrives in the next few days so i can put it back together again

I also hope my new control arm kit fits in these 2001 up-rights
                                D.J.
                                Turbo SVT Focus
                                Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Working...
                                X