Time to vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to vent

Having a maintance weekend, I had some issues with the car lied when it started blowing smoke and dumped 1 Letre of oil on the highway. Not sure what the hell happen yet as I'm tearing it down now. Thinking its the Pcv/catch can setup I installed. The lines were really clogged up, considering its only been installed now less then 2 weeks that's no good.

So on we'd I was driving to work and noticed smoke, now at this point I have leaking valve cover gaskets and half moon seals... I give it some gas and only 7psi, limp mode. I get it to work and park it and shut it down cause I'm smoking out the place.... So I'm thinking at this time...turbo maybe but it made boost. I notice oil on the ground under the car as well.

I need to get home so I get back in the car and start driving...to my surprise its normal...normal boost and no smoke. So now I'm confused. I get home and check oil, its not on the dip stick. I add about 1l and it gets half way up. Look under the car there is oil everywhere and oil in exhaust tips, and all over the pass turbo and exhaust mani.

Wtf **** happen... This is confusing, at least I had all new gaskets on order from natty. I start ripping into it on wed but realized I need that cam tensioner tool. So I start calling around to find one...no luck. By thurs I still could not find one. Got no sleep wed or thurs due to stress of not knowing what the hell happen, and having to work with no car is a **** show. Finally got that tool from local shop. But now working on car trying to get seals swap and redo catch can I have a fever, and sick as hell. Kids got me sick, car is fucked and in pieces in super small garage, and I have to work tomorrow 24h shift, and rush Sunday to fix car.

Thanks for reading. Vent over...pills kicking in now getting tired.
    2016 VW GTI (Stock)
    2016 VW Jetta 1.4T (Stock)
    1994 Audi UrS4 - BW S257 SX-E built engine on VEMs.
    2001 Audi S4 - K04s, J-Fonz Tuned ( Gone! Dropped valve)

Re: Time to vent

...buy a reliable car?

Sorry that is going to be hard to hear when you're in a bad mood, but think it over...
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Is your catch can setup a recirculating setup, or does it vent to atmosphere? If the pcv isn't venting enough, you will end up burning a significant amount of oil. I think your oil levels were probably low before this started. Burning enough so that you were below the dipstick is a lot of oil.

Comment

It looks recirculating back to the inlet, which is fine, but the puck adds quite a bit more back pressure and might not let the air vent properly, you can replace it with an elbow to reduce the backpressure in the system and let it ventilate properly. Also this is a turbo car, did you leave necessary check valves in?
        The other thought is that deleting the vacuum lines in the PCV system has lead to your piston rings losing the seal and bringing up previous issues of possible engine cylinder damage? Again just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by martin13 View Post
          Is your catch can setup a recirculating setup, or does it vent to atmosphere? If the pcv isn't venting enough, you will end up burning a significant amount of oil. I think your oil levels were probably low before this started. Burning enough so that you were below the dipstick is a lot of oil.

oil levels were fine before that. only took about 1/2L of oil to get it back to normal.
          2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
            It looks recirculating back to the inlet, which is fine, but the puck adds quite a bit more back pressure and might not let the air vent properly, you can replace it with an elbow to reduce the backpressure in the system and let it ventilate properly. Also this is a turbo car, did you leave necessary check valves in?
            The other thought is that deleting the vacuum lines in the PCV system has lead to your piston rings losing the seal and bringing up previous issues of possible engine cylinder damage? Again just a thought.
            when you say the puck, your speaking about the valve on the inlet sometimes called the "pancake valve". this was what i was told could have been my issue not allowing the car to vent proper. the only other valve was one from the pcv to the intake mani which i deleted.
            2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

I've had the fluid in my CC freeze and force fluids backwards into the system - major smoking issues and some oil leaks too. Just a thought...
              Work - houzz / linkedin
              Play - haldex swap

Comment

I know how this feels. Good luck with the repairs, take your time and do it right the first time though, because doing it twice is more frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by morris400 View Post
                  when you say the puck, your speaking about the valve on the inlet sometimes called the "pancake valve". this was what i was told could have been my issue not allowing the car to vent proper. the only other valve was one from the pcv to the intake mani which i deleted.
                  Yeah it is between the intake and the discharge of the catchcan in your current setup if im not mistaken

Comment

Originally posted by All_Euro View Post
                    I've had the fluid in my CC freeze and force fluids backwards into the system - major smoking issues and some oil leaks too. Just a thought...
                    Yep, this has happened to me too.
                    Last edited by martin13; 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I'm almost 100% that's what happen to me. I'm working on it now. Got the pass side VCG and cam cap done and re assembled. Working on Pcv now then drivers side VCG. Already did pass side cam tensioner gasket and half moon.
                      2016 VW GTI (Stock)

Comment

Sort of similar. Sisters bmw (e46 330 auto), didn't have cold weather pack in it. Oil line froze, engine blew. Off warranty. $16k. She never called me to ask for help. Wtf?

Anyway, hope it's simple. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X