Carbon in FSI engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carbon in FSI engines?

the latest 1.8tfsi in europe gets a port injector it will cure the build up once and for all
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Audi decided to step up and take care of this issue. Here is the long winded story for those who are interested:

My wife and I were 'disappointed' (mild understatement) when the CEL came on 50km after we drove it off the Audi dealership lot. We got them to check the code, and it was a misfire on cylinders 1-6. Apparently this is the code for carbon build up on the valves. They turned it off for us, and it came back on two days later. They quoted us $900 to get it fixed on the first day we took it in. I contacted the dealership, and spoke with the general sales manager (the guy I bought the car from), and he reluctantly offered a 50/50 split on the price. Did I mention the price had increased to $1200 when they discussed it further? Also worth mentioning is that the copies of the records of the car they let me look at prior to purchase were not complete. They would only give me copies of the records to maintain the anonymity of the original owner and all their details. Im fine with that, so long as you give me ALL the records! There was one service in the original copies (which I got AFTER the car had been bought) which indicated a carbon buildup was starting to happen. I had no way of knowing before hand that this car might have this issue.
      He then spewed some crap about how the car was bought ‘as is’ and that we didn’t purchase an extended warranty and also included a copy of our sales receipt showing how I had declined the warranty. Thanks buddy, I know what I signed less than a week ago! The kicker there is, the warranty wouldn’t have covered this anyway. So I’d still be out $600, and still have a crappy dealer warranty had I bought one. I wrote back with the ‘this is not acceptable / go eff yourselves and you won’t be seeing my business now or in the future’ type letter and copied the general manager.
      The next day I got a very apologetic phone call, and an offer of fixing the entire thing for free. They will also give us a loaner Audi for the time our car is in the shop.

Here's hoping my experiences going forward are better! And no....I wont be going back to the dealer for anything in the future, dont worry

Comment

My dad's 3.2 FSI Passat never had carbon problems, even running on Chinese petrol. I guess you can give the old school seafoam a try, it won't hurt if you only use a small amount of it. The Audi dealer seems pretty nice here.
        Last edited by kujiwara; 03-15-2013, 03:27 PM.
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

its not really the fuel, its more the oil, and since its direct injection seafoam in the fuel tank isnt going to get anywhere near the carbon buildup
          2002 VW Golf GT TDI
          2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Id say the Audi dealer is doing something they should have done before they sold me the car. Don't tell me the car is in top shape, only for me to find out it needs $1200 worth of work as I drive it off the lot.
            Last edited by Shoreboy; 03-15-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Curious. Where is the best non-dealership place to go cost and quality-wise to get a carbon clean done?

I'm thinking my old girl likely needs a freshening' up one of these days soon as I get the start up "stumble" and misfire code off and on. It happens mostly when engine is cold (ie. first start of the day or parked outside in winter) and/or when I've went for a short drive (ie. under 5 kms), parked, turned car off, get coffee, then start car again (ie. 10 mins later). Not sure what that says (ie. Carbon Clean or vaccuum leak or weak battery or what)? Aside from that, I generally go from April through about October without it ever happening once. Very weird.
              Rob
              Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
              Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

I cant help you in Calgary, but I lined up a couple of reputable places in Vancouver that would do it for quite a bit less than the dealer was quoting. I was counting on them not replying to my e-mail and having to do it on my own.
                Last edited by Shoreboy; 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Its still a VAG car Rob. My guess would be to take it to Tunedub and let George have his way with it
                  Patryk
                  Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                  08 VW .:R32
                  04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                    Curious. Where is the best non-dealership place to go cost and quality-wise to get a carbon clean done?

I'm thinking my old girl likely needs a freshening' up one of these days soon as I get the start up "stumble" and misfire code off and on. It happens mostly when engine is cold (ie. first start of the day or parked outside in winter) and/or when I've went for a short drive (ie. under 5 kms), parked, turned car off, get coffee, then start car again (ie. 10 mins later). Not sure what that says (ie. Carbon Clean or vaccuum leak or weak battery or what)? Aside from that, I generally go from April through about October without it ever happening once. Very weird.
                    I've had it serviced/carbon cleaned by George. He does a very good job and the car runs very strong after it's been done. I just recently started using Amsoil 5W30 Low SAPS. Bart had talked about a Low SAPS oil before and there was a PPT about it, Low SAPS is good for our FSI engines. So far, I've noticed lower oil temps and the engine runs well with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X