The rebuild begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rebuild begins...

Thanks muchly to a local forum member I have a spare motor in my possession!

I will be starting to dismantle the motor tomorrow to clean it up, give it a set of nice purdy paint, then ordering a bunch of fun new parts. I hope to have it in my A4 by mid september.

Planed upgrades:

New rods, new rings, hone, bearings, new valves, new retainers, new springs, new water pump, new oil pump.

This is a budget rebuild as I have tuition to pay in a few weeks here, but hopefully it will have my girl able to pull hard and not have me worrying about anything breaking!

Re: The rebuild begins...

No longer selling it then I take it?

Should be a fun build, good luck!

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
      No longer selling it then I take it?

Should be a fun build, good luck!
      Nope. My buddy made me realize I should keep it. That and I get a ton of compliments with it, which is nice.

Comment

Nice - post lots of pics!
        Work - houzz / linkedin
        Play - haldex swap

Comment

Oh lordy... Filthy filthy pistons.

From what I can tell this motor was leaking oil from every gasket known to man. It's in good shape, but it's leakier then a hooker on 50 cent tuesdays...

Currently scrubbing the pistons. Plasti-gauged the bearings and all my rods are at .002. The valves are a bit coked, no doubt from burning oil, im hoping the head isn't leaking.

Comment

Good luck, keep us informed!

Comment

Pistons look normal to me

Pat

His

Hers
              1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
              1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

Yeah those pistons look pretty normal to me as well. You can clean them as much as you want but when you start it up for the first time, they are just going to be charred again right away.

Comment

http://imgur.com/lATouOA
                  http://imgur.com/r0aVHzP

Skirts seem a bit worn...
                  Last edited by ToXicXxX; 08-22-2013, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Got the crank out tonight! Head is almost apart, accidentally killed a torx bolt on the cam's, will have to get some new ones.

Should I be replacing the 10.9 crank bearing main bolts?

Everything is in beautiful condition, im very happy with my purchase! Rods, gaskets and all that are due next week, will pull an all day run and build her back up then pull the old one wile I have my spare vehicle. I'll start taking pictures when I actually begin to rebuild it!

I have all new valves, but would new springs/retainers really be worth the extra 1000 revs? Especially on my tiiiiight budget? I can do them with the head on the car after I guess.

Comment

If you're cutting things close as it is, save your cash for unexpecteds. The valvetrain can come later... easy enough to do in the car on a weekend.
                      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
                      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                        If you're cutting things close as it is, save your cash for unexpecteds. The valvetrain can come later... easy enough to do in the car on a weekend.
                        Fair enough, I'll leave that. I do need to go buy a catch can though, new motor has an AWM valve cover.

Anyone have a AEB 99.5 catch can setup? Can I just chop the metal PCV pipe behind the block, stick some hose on it, T it with the valve cover breather and run it to a can? Or can I just run it to a dump line under the car?

Comment

If you want good vacuum, instead of just a vent, try this… http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...he-correct-way
                          Work - houzz / linkedin
                          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                            I disagree. If you're going all out on a build like this, take the time to save money and do it right the first time.

Pat

His

Hers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

Originally posted by ToXicXxX View Post
                              ...but would new springs/retainers really be worth the extra 1000 revs? Especially on my tiiiiight budget? I can do them with the head on the car after I guess.
                              Dustin & Pat both have valid points… but it's really a matter of personal preference.

Are you actually going to be revving out to 8000+ rpms? You mentioned tight budget so if not (or rarely) then your money is better used elsewhere.

Do you have the time to build slowly and do everything the first time around? If so perfect! If not, you'll have to prioritize… I'm in that camp unfortunately
                              Work - houzz / linkedin
                              Play - haldex swap

Comment

Working...
                              X