Busy Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy Weekend

So Matt and i had a pretty busy weekend. Hardwooding the trunk of the MK2 Jetta, We also installed a quick release for the sub.

This is what it looked like originally. Minus the panel on the left.

Base plate for the hardwood

The most important part of using power tools.

And the semi finished product.

Planning on putting some sort of trim around the hardwood, but havent been out looking for any yet.

Took us the most part of the weekend to do, but overall pretty happy with how it looks.

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Re: Busy Weekend

wow great job!!!

Comment

that's pretty wicked
      D.J.
      Turbo SVT Focus
      Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Great pics...
        Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
        2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
        2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

Those leviton style plates will never ever hold the force of the pressure in that sub box. Good idea but epic fail. Now the way to go about fixing it is build a little box inside the enclosure (if you have room) and silicon the wires to seal them. Are you using one of the rca's for remote turn on? I should also let you know depending on the wattage rating of that amp those banana jacks are running way to much current through them, they are a fire waiting to happen. Now using something like anderson power poles will save you a lot of headache and still look good http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...FQ8eDQodL09kbA (MRo electronics in the NE carries something similar). I hate to rain on your parade but as someone who builds electronics for a living I thought I would save you the heart ache of having your car start on fire (and having a leaky sub box).
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

that looks sick!
            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
            Past:
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
            2004 .:R32 BMP
            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

I think it looks great, but being a car audio nut, I would definitely look into what stonewall said. It will benefit you in the end and save you headaches down the road.
              Patryk
              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
              08 VW .:R32
              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

All the wiresin the sub box have been siliconed. So I think the box will be alright. And the amp is only 600 watts. Do you think the banana plugs an handle that?
                I Guess I </3 Men Anymore!

Comment

A quick search shows a current rating of about 15amps max for banana jacks. My bet is your amp peaks at about a 50amp current draw. The problem is lack of solid surface area. The small raised sections on a banana jack will heat up it too much current is pushed through them.
                  Did you silicon the whole back of that connector? I still think that offers too much flex but will be better then nothing.
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Yea it's all siliconed. And it actually sounds pretty good. It sounds the same as it did before the panel was installed. I ran the subs pretty loud for a while today and checked the banana plugs. They didn't seem to get warm at all
                    I Guess I </3 Men Anymore!

Comment

Never heard that about banana plugs, I use them at home for my stereo without issue, 200watt/channel
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

looks dope man, good work guys.
                        James
                        mk4 wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                          Those leviton style plates will never ever hold the force of the pressure in that sub box. Good idea but epic fail. Now the way to go about fixing it is build a little box inside the enclosure (if you have room) and silicon the wires to seal them. Are you using one of the rca's for remote turn on? I should also let you know depending on the wattage rating of that amp those banana jacks are running way to much current through them, they are a fire waiting to happen. Now using something like anderson power poles will save you a lot of headache and still look good http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...FQ8eDQodL09kbA (MRo electronics in the NE carries something similar). I hate to rain on your parade but as someone who builds electronics for a living I thought I would save you the heart ache of having your car start on fire (and having a leaky sub box).
                          i wonder i there was a politer way for you to say this?
                          D.J.
                          Turbo SVT Focus
                          Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Originally posted by aliencurv View Post
                            i wonder i there was a politer way for you to say this?
                            It was pretty polite, then again I would rather come across harsh then someone put themselves in harms way.
                            Kris you are thinking about output wattage as a AC output not an DC input. The current draw would be continuous as a DC input and would also be much larger due to the efficiency of the amp.

Comment

onceover, what model/make is your amp?
                              D.J.
                              Turbo SVT Focus
                              Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

Working...
                              X