BaggedGLI - The Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BaggedGLI - The Rebuild

So yesterday my timing belt decided it didn't like its teeth and just stripped them off......

Not a great picture but you can see just above my hand where it's coming around the pulley, all the teeth are stripped.

So I'm making this thread so people can follow progress and hopefully I can put together a 1.8t "oh **** my timing belt snapped" DIY. Also somewhere I can post some questions.

Question #1: Remove intake and exhaust manifolds? Is it easier with or without?
    Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
    2005 Audi Allroad

Re: BaggedGLI - The Rebuild

I've never done one Colin, but if you want some help, just text me!
    Geo
    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Just when I thought that I had the worst luck with my MKIV. My alternator crapped the bed 2 days ago while I was coming back from Saskatoon.....got stranded in Kindersley SK with no parts available. Dad brought out the needed parts + all necessary tools (jacks etc) and we worked on the car in a damn Canadian Tire parking lot with people giving us the "wtf" look. Was able to change the voltage regulator (in the rain) and limp it home.

Best of luck with the repair sir.

Comment

i'm so out of the 1.8t brain now but is there not a timing belt cover?? or is the belt showing like that?

colin how many KMs on your car? does it still have the OG timing belt?

Comment

Are you replacing the belt/wp ect? or are you removing the head?
          Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
            i'm so out of the 1.8t brain now but is there not a timing belt cover?? or is the belt showing like that?

colin how many KMs on your car? does it still have the OG timing belt?
            Normally there is a cover, I pulled it to examine. It has 175,000km's last one was done at 90,000km's.

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
            Are you replacing the belt/wp ect? or are you removing the head?
            Belt, waterpump, tensioner, gaskets, etc.... Pulling the head to check/replace valves.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

colin i take it the belt slipped then? and possible damage or just checking?

your car is just chipped right?

time to GT28rs that beotch!

Comment

Hey Colin, I can get a timing belt and tensioner done in under 6 hours, me and my buddy did it on his GTI. if it skipped 15 teeth then there are definitely bent valves, i think there is a max limit of 4-5 teeth or so that it can skip without any valves interfering. Other than that its going to start bending. Your pistons may be fine but double check them.

If you are taking off the head then you need to take off the intake and exhaust manifolds since they are attached to the head. You can pull it out as one big assembly but it will be heavier and awkward. Pretty sure its as easy as taking off the valve cover, intake and exhaust manifolds, unbolting the timing belt tensioner and then unbolting the head from the block.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  colin i take it the belt slipped then? and possible damage or just checking?

your car is just chipped right?

time to GT28rs that beotch!
                  Well its missing teeth, of course it slipped! Almost no question it has bent valves. Revo stage 2+, front mount, water meth, K04.........

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                  Hey Colin, I can get a timing belt and tensioner done in under 6 hours, me and my buddy did it on his GTI. if it skipped 15 teeth then there are definitely bent valves, i think there is a max limit of 4-5 teeth or so that it can skip without any valves interfering. Other than that its going to start bending. Your pistons may be fine but double check them.

If you are taking off the head then you need to take off the intake and exhaust manifolds since they are attached to the head. You can pull it out as one big assembly but it will be heavier and awkward. Pretty sure its as easy as taking off the valve cover, intake and exhaust manifolds, unbolting the timing belt tensioner and then unbolting the head from the block.
                  Head has to come off, its coming out with the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold. The amount if ticking that came from the engine tells me bent valves. Biggest worry is that something dropped in to the cylinder, which from initial inspection says its fine.
                  Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                  2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I think all the 2.7t bashing took it's toll on the 1.8ts.

My headgasket has decided to pack it in. Let's have a head party! Haha

Pat

His
                    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

When did that happen pat?
                      Graeme

2015 S4
                      2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

Pretty sure the euroquake cruise did it.

Not 100% sure thats what it is but, Coolant is mysteriously disappearing, no visible leaks, air is getting into the coolant system. Getting misfires on cyl 2 on cold starts, and clouds of white smoke appear every once in a while

Pat

His
                        1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                        1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                        1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                        2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                        Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Everyone's cars are breaking this summer!
                          Kim

Comment

You're next Kim
                            Graeme

2015 S4
                            2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

My car is broken! but my new axle is on the way
                              Kim

Comment