X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parts Car to Daily Driver: 1990 Cayenne Metallic Cq

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
    nice job!
    Thanks, been looking forward to this for a while.

Originally posted by Smarty39 View Post
    Really happy to hear your brought her back to life! I promise the regular gas wasn't me though lol...lent the car to my younger sister when she was in a pinch and obviously didn't listen to me when I said 'premium only'! Car sat for over a year after she brought it back to me
    Hey Kyle, with the amount of time the car sat I don't imagine it would matter anyways due to octane degradation. Tank is just about empty so I'll fill 'er up with premium e-0 from there on out.

Do you remember a tough start condition before? I'm troubleshooting an odd sometimes hot-sometimes cold no start until it cranks for 20-30 seconds, sometimes fires right up instantly condition. I'm going to replace the fuel filter with the new gas and see if that helps. Thinking it could be fuel pressure related, because I've all but eliminated spark as the cause.

Also, did the rear speakers work at any point when you had the car? I'm wondering if it's age-related failure or caused by the head unit install.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

The hard fuel cut I was experiencing was almost certainly the 1.5 year-old 87 octane gas (LOL probably turned to varnish). I ran it as low as I dared and refilled with proper V-Power 91.

Still have a weird hard start when warm though, loves to crank and crank before turning over. Then it will stumble/almost die (or will if I'm not on the gas pedal) before smoothing out into a normal idle. Hopefully a fuel filter will fix that, and intend to add a check valve downstream of the filter to prevent back siphonage.

The (!) light was low PS fluid. Topped it up and bled the system, light's out. The whining seems to have subsided. The rock hard brake pedal I'd get randomly seems gone too, but haven't put too many km on since this last bit of work. If it continues I'll look at the hydro-bomb.

Thanks Mike for lending me the space... haha getting cramped around here.

Comment

Ok, fun continues...

Went to install my custom machined AC delete cap (more on that later ) and found this...

My guess is CV grease or brake fluid... hoping for the latter as they're easier but if it's the former anyone figure I'll be okay for the next little while to drive till I have time off and parts to fix?

Comment

Looks like CV grease - check the boot for a tear… you'll notice the smell too. You can drive it for a bit that way but then you'll likely need to replace the CV joint too.
          Work - houzz / linkedin
          Play - haldex swap

Comment

Well... 16 year old was in a rush and he didn't notice my daytime running lights as he turned left onto the street. He came out of nowhere behind the truck that had just went through the intersection and I was lucky to swerve enough (and honk simultaneously) to create a glancing blow versus t-bone/side swipe.

For whatever reason, age/rarity/pedigree, the initial damage estimate came out to a whopping $3746 after I'd told the appraiser at Southgate Audi/VW Collision I could get a bumper from the UK for $800 shipped versus the $3000 he'd quoted me

I guess the good news is I hadn't gotten around to installing the e-code signals yet, so they'll get comped. And I had my one good set of fog lights on the shelf since I didn't want to use them on the winter beater. Still a bummer though.

Comment

That sucks man, the most dangerous drivers are the ones that do unexpected things.

But maybe you can tell them that your CV boot was fine before the accident and get that paid for too.

Comment

Naaaaahhhh.... Karma.

Besides... that was on the passenger CV, he hit driver's fender.

I'm actually going out of my way to get good deals on parts, so he doesn't get into a huge debt with loans to pay out and so I get the right parts. I may see if we can throw something in, since we're dealing with shipping a fender and bumper from abroad. Thinking a nice euro rear bumper for my troubles.
                Last edited by PRY4SNO; 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Maintenance time...

-- Re-torque ARP head studs... been about 60k km since they were first installed and only needed about 10# to get back to the 80# spec:

-- Replace FPR... the original one busted at the rubber mounts while replacing the knock sensors:

The car randomly lurched/bucked/hesitated pretty bad for the first while, at any load (fwy. cruise, steady city driving, from a start), but seems to be dissipating. Figure the FPR was gummed up/stuck? Came off my black coupe and I'd had no problems with it before, so I'll try a can of Seafoam in the gas tank and see if that solves, unless someone has a BTDT tip to offer?

While I was in there, I noticed that every intake runner was coated on the inside with an oil mist... my buddy Adam suggests PCV leak? Runners 1 & 5 (pictured below) were the worst offenders:

Then, I was buttoning up the VC and found the bolt that holds down the after run sensor was too short... thankfully there was an appropriate replacement in my bolts pile culled from scrapping various A4's and S4's.

Now on to the tricky bit:

Button everything back up and I get a dummy light in the dash for the oil light. Look down at the gauges, and once the oil is up to temp, she's 3.5bar at idle and 5bar over 1100 rpm or so. So I have a look and sure enough, a spade on the low pressure sensor was off (the closest one to the bumper). Except, when I got it back on the light still comes up and beeps at me.

How likely is the one-pin white oil pressure sensor below the two-pin mentioned above to be the culprit?

Other thing is all of the sudden (since I buttoned up this job) the coolant temp gauge doesn't work??

Comment

Working...
                  X