From China with Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: From China with Love

Shitty man .. A ute convert on that car would be cool to do !
    Last edited by Lars; 03-28-2016, 08:48 PM.
    12 Volvo XC 90
    03 Jetta1.8T
    95 Cabrio VRT
    90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Awe man, Sorry to see this. It was coming together very nicely. Keep us informed as to what insurance does with the car, If they do write it off, Buy it back and grab another jetta to cut the quater panel from, get a reputable shop to weld in the section needed ensuring that it is straight via a frame rack. And do the write off inspection, voila, It will be branded a rebuilt status car, but it sounds like youre keeping this car for the long haul so it won't be an issue.
      Current toys
      2011 Tiguan 4mo, APR stage 1, lowered on 20x10.5" wheels (daily)
      1989 Mustang 5L Cobra Clone, GT40X motor, 70MM turbo setup. (in the garage)
      1982 VW caddy (Project)
      1985 VW mk1 Convertible VR6 soon??? (Keepsake)
      1990 VW mk2 GTI, UPDATE Soon to have my turbo 434.97WHP, 445WTQ motor (backburner)
      1970 Mercedes benz w108, Baby blue on air(Sunday cruiser)
      1992 VW Doka (parts hauler)
      2002 Chevrolet 1 ton dually crewcab 4x4 Duramax (Toy hauler)

Comment

Originally posted by firestarter View Post
        Awe man, Sorry to see this. It was coming together very nicely. Keep us informed as to what insurance does with the car, If they do write it off, Buy it back and grab another jetta to cut the quater panel from, get a reputable shop to weld in the section needed ensuring that it is straight via a frame rack. And do the write off inspection, voila, It will be branded a rebuilt status car, but it sounds like youre keeping this car for the long haul so it won't be an issue.
        Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking about doing if they write it off. I read about that the rebuilt process have to be documented? Does it? Or can I just fix it and inspect it?
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

It does have to be documented, where the replacement parts came from, pictures, etc. I have put a few cars back on the road in my day. The better the documentation is of the repairs, the easier the inspection facility is on nit picking things. That is what I have experienced anyways.
            Current toys
            2011 Tiguan 4mo, APR stage 1, lowered on 20x10.5" wheels (daily)
            1989 Mustang 5L Cobra Clone, GT40X motor, 70MM turbo setup. (in the garage)
            1982 VW caddy (Project)
            1985 VW mk1 Convertible VR6 soon??? (Keepsake)
            1990 VW mk2 GTI, UPDATE Soon to have my turbo 434.97WHP, 445WTQ motor (backburner)
            1970 Mercedes benz w108, Baby blue on air(Sunday cruiser)
            1992 VW Doka (parts hauler)
            2002 Chevrolet 1 ton dually crewcab 4x4 Duramax (Toy hauler)

Comment

Shitty luck. Sorry this happened. Hopefully it all works out.
              Nick

I love hatchbacks

Comment

Sucks to haw about this kuji.

Why not take this chance to get yourself into a real R32? Saves yourself from having to swap everything and you get awd.

Comment

Sucks Jerry!

Comment

Originally posted by Danaldson View Post

Why not take this chance to get yourself into a real R32? Saves yourself from having to swap everything and you get awd.
                    Sedan > hatch.

Kuji look at importing a 4mo Bora to swap everything into, they came out in 99 in europe i believe so find one with a blown engine and a tranny that can bolt up to a 6 cylinder housing (may be a bit harder to find than a 4 cylinder housing seeing as smaller engines are more popular over there) and import it for cheap. At least the shell and AWD system will be done for you already, then its just a matter of cleaning up the body and swapping parts over.

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                      Sedan > hatch.

Kuji look at importing a 4mo Bora to swap everything into, they came out in 99 in europe i believe so find one with a blown engine and a tranny that can bolt up to a 6 cylinder housing (may be a bit harder to find than a 4 cylinder housing seeing as smaller engines are more popular over there) and import it for cheap. At least the shell and AWD system will be done for you already, then its just a matter of cleaning up the body and swapping parts over.
                      Hatch > sedan! IMO, anyway

This sucks Jerry, sorry it happened. Sean's idea is probably the best option though since it seems like you prefer Jettas over Golfs. There was a 4Motion Jetta for sale on Craigslist in Vancouver a while ago... Maybe see if it's still there? It was even a VR6 IIRC.
                      Scott
                      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by mrx View Post
                        Worst case, do a Smyth Performance ute conversion!

https://youtu.be/aSWRqyM2z9Y
                        This would be pretty cool!
                        Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                        Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

I definitely thought about this right away until I realized how much parts that i would have left over. And for personal preference I just like sedans a bit more than hatchbacks.
                          Current Fleet
                          2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                            I definitely thought about this right away until I realized how much parts that i would have left over. And for personal preference I just like sedans a bit more than hatchbacks.
                            ah fair enough. Do what others said and look for a bora then. that 4motion is a must!

Comment

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
                              Sedan > hatch.

This was what I thought about right after the accident, the 2.8 24v 4motion is actually very common but I don't really want one for a few reasons.
                              1. There are two for sale in BC already, 40k and 70k km, one wants 12k the other wants 13k, I'm not gonna pay for more than let say the cleanest GLI which is around 10k.
                              2. The swap is quite a bit more money and work involved than I want right now. The ECU will need to be sent to UM again for a 4 oxygen sensor file instead of 2, the entire exhaust system need to be remade, the GLI rear brakes need new brackets, I need bora 4motion coilovers... I can already see over 5k usd of cost here..

3. BIGGEST reason is because of emotions and memories related to this car, Im just not ready to move on to another jetta any time soon. I totalled one jetta already, the moment i saw what it was like I knew it physically couldn't be fixed, front bent left, floor bent up and windshield cracked, and the car won't even start. This time the only thing holding this car back to be fixed is the repair cost will most likely exceed the value of the car, they will fix this on a new car with no hassles usually, and I have a very strong sense of repairing things if I can instead of replacing. I even drove the car home from the accident and it drove fine and straight. Surely it'll cost less to get another cheap jetta to swap things into but it wouldn't be like this one. Friends were like "The car would never drive the same or corner the same again", yeah I know but I don't care that much, if it drives and turns I'm fine with it, it's a jetta it won't corner better than a mazda 3 anyways. I could go on for days, but I'm sure you guys get what I mean by now, the car isn't dead and I love it so I'll fix it.
                              Current Fleet
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
                                Hatch > sedan! IMO, anyway

This sucks Jerry, sorry it happened. Sean's idea is probably the best option though since it seems like you prefer Jettas over Golfs. There was a 4Motion Jetta for sale on Craigslist in Vancouver a while ago... Maybe see if it's still there? It was even a VR6 IIRC.
                                There's two but if I can I want to keep this car

ah fair enough. Do what others said and look for a bora then. that 4motion is a must!
                                4motion is good but it all depends on if this car is fixable or not
                                Current Fleet
                                2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Working...
                                X