Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: From China with Love

Originally posted by MechEngg View Post
    Every different style of engine is slightly different.

For the 1.8t engine i shift so that the next gear engages around 2500rpms usually, so that means i shift at just over 3000rpms usually. This keeps enough power in your engine to move the car forward at a decent speed with using the least amount of fuel. As for cruising in a gear, i keep it between 2400-3000rpms usually.
    If your trying to get the most out of a tank of fuel with your 1.8t then this will not work. However, if you like to accelerate with the pace of traffic then yes 2800-3 is gonna be good. Definitely don't bog in 6th gear though. As said that's not helping anything.
    2002 Jetta TDI
    2003 Jazz Blue GTI
    1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
      If your trying to get the most out of a tank of fuel with your 1.8t then this will not work. However, if you like to accelerate with the pace of traffic then yes 2800-3 is gonna be good. Definitely don't bog in 6th gear though. As said that's not helping anything.
      Thanks for letting me know that what i'm doing is not going to get me good fuel economy, yet i average around 575-600km/tank.

Comment

I'm saying you are not going to get the most out of a tank driving like that. Whether you think 575-6 is "working" is your opinion. I am absolutely not saying that is bad but it will do better. I was getting an easy 650 out of my 1.8t at lower revs/shifting for incline/decline. I did 820km driving back from Spokane in the same car and the fuel light still was not on. I like to think I know a thing or two about driving for fuel economy.
        Last edited by idlandk; 04-13-2013, 11:45 PM.
        2002 Jetta TDI
        2003 Jazz Blue GTI
        1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by idlandk View Post
          I'm saying you are not going to get the most out of a tank driving like that. Whether you think 575-6 is "working" is your opinion. I am absolutely not saying that is bad but it will do better. I was getting an easy 650 out of my 1.8t at lower revs/shifting for incline/decline. I did 820km driving back from Spokane in the same car and the fuel light still was not on. I like to think I know a thing or two about driving for fuel economy.
          Cruising downhills in neutral? Tap throttle? Can you share some of your tips with us please?
          Current Fleet
          #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
          2001 Cobra #88/3786
          1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
          2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
          2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

typically you never really want to be in neutral or coast (my opinion). you may get better fuel economy, but in case of emergency's; if you have to move out of the way of something. if you are not in gear, you have to push the clutch,pick a gear, disengage clutch as fast as possible to get out of the way of something instead of already being in gear... that half a second could save your life if something were to happen.

Comment

-Drive like there is an egg under your pedal and shift smooth
              -Don't put it in neutral. If your coming up to a hill put it in a higher gear and get off the throttle.
              -Look ahead and anticipate stops when you can. I use the engine to slow my car down.
              -Shift at appropriate rpm's for your engine(you will have to play with this a little). I shift my diesel so that the next gear puts me at the beginning of peak torque or a little below depending how quick I'm accelerating.
              Brakes are not your friend if you want good fuel economy. People that rip up to red lights and slam on the brakes are technically wasting energy.
              2002 Jetta TDI
              2003 Jazz Blue GTI
              1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

^ all of that.

I can easily get 900km/tank in my GTI on the highway. That's assuming I average 6.5L/100km (which is crap for me - I've done 4.9 in the city) and use all but 5L of the tank .
                Scott
                '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I might be able to save up for something nice for this summer. But 4.9l in the city, badass.
                  Current Fleet
                  2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I've only done that once and it was about 1AM, but still. Steady highway driving usually gets me 5.5 to 6.5L/100km depending on if I'm going up hill or not.
                    Scott
                    '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
                    '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

This thread should be retitled. Driver's Education/ Fuel Economy Dispute
                      Chris - TR 03' Wolfsburg

Comment

Can someone please create a Kujiwara appreciation thread?
                        Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

One time trip!

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...695-Gas-Milage!!
                          12 Volvo XC 90
                          03 Jetta1.8T
                          95 Cabrio VRT
                          90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

hard to tell for the plugs, but you were deff leaking compression. Way overdue lol

You will prob notice a nice difference
                            Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Natty54 View Post
                              hard to tell for the plugs, but you were deff leaking compression. Way overdue lol

You will prob notice a nice difference
                              I noticed that the car was a bit quieter. The previous owner probably never changed it. You mean the plugs were leaking air because it was so old?
                              Last edited by kujiwara; 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM.
                              Current Fleet
                              2001 Cobra #88/3786

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I just went through all 10 pages of this. Some of the best, and worst posts i have ever seen are in here.

My personal opinions on the car are, needs less stickers and more low. Dont listen to me though i scrape turning a flat corner.
                                I take pictures for money.

Comment

Working...
                                X