No announcement yet.

When a car wont cut it. Touareg build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a car wont cut it. Touareg build?

Hey all

so apparently people seemed to enjoy my take on what a touareg should look like and be!

the story goes, Got out of high school, started making to much money (classic Alberta oil), bought a stupid truck, bought a beautiful b8 s4, came to the realization owning two newish vehicles is stupid and I need to be saving this money instead of spending it on a truck that I did not need even one bit, grew up a bit, got rid of the truck and finally fell into this great little 2007 Touareg VR6.

I had been looking for one of these little machines on and off for I would say about a year. I had been dead set on finding a VR6. With the VR6 being the base engine for the Touareg I could never seem to find one with a decent set of options until one day this one happened to be booked in by a local dealership at my local shop here in Red Deer, Das Auto Haus, it had a CEL on but I got to have a fairly intensive look at it while it was there without the hassle of a salesmen looming nearby.

The Touareg was in decent shape, I was a bit scared of the mileage at the time ( 190k or so ) but it was a well optioned vr6 (nav, air ride, black interior, centre and rear locking differential, front and rear heated leather, heated steering wheel, etc etc) but I ended up deciding that I would probably pass on it.

A few more weeks of looking went by and I could not find another Touareg with a VR6 and that many options. So I went in and made a deal on it, I got it for an excellent price because of the CEL, which I had already known to be because of the Catalytic converters, no biggie.

So I picked it up and immediately fell in love with it. I couldnt resist almost instantly starting to mod it. (I used to be a jeep guy so I already had the off road bug)

here it is basically the day I got it
    V__D881

at this point I decided step 1, tires, always tires first. I did some research and came up with the biggest tire size I could without having rubbing. They do not rub in the highest, or lowest air ride height

Tires are Muteki Trail Hog M/T's which are a suprisingly good all round tire and soft enough that they are winter rated woohoo
    WP_20141210_001

here it is up!
    WP_20141210_002

here it is down!
    WP_20141210_003

and about a day after tires was exhaust. besides who buys a VR6 and doesnt have an exhaust?!
    so I purchased a muffler and some tubing and my buddy made it happen. Ends up being a dual 3" cat back and it sounds glorious
    WP_20141219_001
    WP_20141221_002

I found a second hand Yakima roof basket for the Touareg that I decided I wanted to put on there, and it also ended up being a good base for my lighting "system" we will call it. I ended up getting all the lighting for free ( We have a point system at work for safety and performance awards that you can redeem in amazon gift cards, super convenient when you want to buy 6 LED lights) so that journey began
    WP_20141214_004
    WP_20141214_002

had to add a shovel as well on the side for good measure
    WP_20141218_001

had one 12' light bar laying around so we threw that on just for good measure as well, grand total of 7 auxiliary lights, oh my lanta
    WP_20141214_003

and with them all fired up, Sorry about quality, phone cameras cant handle extreme brightness and darkness well apparently
    WP_20141229_002

Shortly after that I decided a roof rack was necessary (obviously) which was added from a wrecked Touareg that was at a wreckers in Calgary. Which also happened to have a nice brown interior (rare option). I thought on it for a bit and decided that a hybrid between the black and brown would be ideal. Sorry about the dark cell phone picture.
    WP_20150223_002

somewhere in the mix a badge less grill was added as well and here is more or less how it sits now

DSC_1143
    DSC_1170
    DSC_1107

I do have some future plans for it of course, I have a set of OEM fender flares that need to go on but I have been waiting for a set of wheels with enough offset to make it not look like a rail road car. Unfortunately 5x130 wheels are few and far between especially with any kind of offset

anyways here you go, a video of me trying to climb a hill in a gravel pit, of course it looks like a it might as well be an ant hill in the video. I was going to edit out the first failed attempt but I guess its proof that it was relatively steep anyways. Ive had a few jeeps and to be completely honest this thing wheels as well as either of the two that I had, I just get to do it in extreme comfort now!

2011 Meteor Grey S4
    APR Stage 2

1990 Corrado
    In Progress

Re: When a car wont cut it. Touareg build?

Love how this thing looks. Thanks for posting the history, I was always curious.

Comment

Thanks bob! Ya I'm hoping to get it a little wider stance wise and just a few touches here and there, I'm also considering getting it wrapped to try and preserve the paint a bit from stray branches and such on trails and of course to have it a color other than black
      2011 Meteor Grey S4
      APR Stage 2

1990 Corrado
      In Progress

Comment

Love the brown interior, great choice!

Comment

Thanks man! I'm happy how it turned out, I felt the full brown interior was a bit much but having the black plastics and black door cards with the brown seats is a good balance
          2011 Meteor Grey S4
          APR Stage 2

1990 Corrado
          In Progress

Comment

Nice work - love the last picture especially!
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

Thanks man! Ya that one turned out pretty good, I attempt to take pictures sometimes lol
              2011 Meteor Grey S4
              APR Stage 2

1990 Corrado
              In Progress

Comment

Sold you my old FSI turbo kit! Remember your Touareg. Looks bad ass!
                Last edited by mferrariomk5; 12-13-2015, 09:05 PM.
                Martin
                I.G. @mferrariomk5
                Slow MK5 GTI
                Basic B8 S4

Comment

You sure did haha thanks man, one step at a time! More to come for it one if these days
                  2011 Meteor Grey S4
                  APR Stage 2

1990 Corrado
                  In Progress

Comment

LOVING this....always thought a Toureg would look great lifted....very unique and very personalized! Great job on it! Sounds Incredible too!
                    Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                    Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Haha ya I thought I would give it a shot anyways, definitely havnt seen another one around here. There is kind of a cult following for them in the off road world. Parts are not easy to come by unfortunately so anything serious off road needs to be custom.
                      2011 Meteor Grey S4
                      APR Stage 2

1990 Corrado
                      In Progress

Comment

Wow love it!
                        Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

This thing is great����
                          2002 Jetta TDI
                          2003 Jazz Blue GTI
                          1981 Rabbit Truck Diesel

Comment

I was tired of my only alternatives being domestic vehicles to be "normal" in the off road sense. So once I dug in and realized these things are actually fairly well equipped (locking diffs, full 4x4 with a t-case with low range etc) I knew it was my key to get out of domestics finally! And ya idlandk has a good ol pic from some international off roading in Idaho haha
                            2011 Meteor Grey S4
                            APR Stage 2

1990 Corrado
                            In Progress

Comment

Bad ass, I love it!
                              TJ
                              '17 Ram 3500 Laramie
                              '01 Silver S4

Comment

Working...
                              X