Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone out there???

Originally posted by saabhutter View Post
    No worries, my car shares the same platform!
    True but the AWD cars were jacked up for some reason (extra clearance for the rear powertrain is my guess). I had a 2006 V50 T5 AWD and was harassed .

I'm assuming it's a auto? Manuals are extremely rare.
    Last edited by Tuna; 01-05-2013, 09:19 AM.
    Jay

Comment

S40/V50s with the T5 and 6-speed aren't as rare as you'd think. I've been looking at Volvos a lot lately for a winter beater and I've probably come across 3 or 4 of them in the past month or so. My guess is that 20-25% of them are manuals.
      Last edited by CGY_GTI; 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM.
      Scott
      '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
      '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
        True but the AWD cars were jacked up for some reason (extra clearance for the rear powertrain is my guess). I had a 2006 V50 T5 AWD and was harassed .

I'm assuming it's a auto? Manuals are extremely rare.
        I've got the manual. During my times of looking on and off, You'll usually see 2 or 3 for sale at a time in Canada. Right now there are 4.

Comment

Originally posted by b spot View Post
          I've got the manual. During my times of looking on and off, You'll usually see 2 or 3 for sale at a time in Canada. Right now there are 4.
          That's really surprising. When I sold mine there were dozens of v50s for sale and mine was the only T5 AWD manual in western Canada. In the whole time I had it for sale there wasn't another manual for sale (2.4i's aside). Someone from BC actually bought it because he was looking for months. I drove it out there for him. I guess when I sold mine though they had only been out for 4 years, there's a lot more of them out there now.
          Last edited by Tuna; 01-09-2013, 09:12 PM.
          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
            S40/V50s with the T5 and 6-speed aren't as rare as you'd think. I've been looking at Volvos a lot lately for a winter beater and I've probably come across 3 or 4 of them in the past month or so. My guess is that 20-25% of them are manuals.
            This could have been true in the past but in the last 2-3 years it was about 10% (from a Volvo rep). Right now it's 0% with the loss of the C30 and S40.
            Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that. I was just pointing out what I've observed lately, that's all
              Scott

Comment

Either way, I was glad to find one. Kind of a neat/odd little car that doesn't quite know what it is. A sport compact? A safety oriented family sedan? A sport sedan? A winter machine? None of them really, all of them sort of.

New forged compressor bypass valve and intake are on the way!

Just bought 3L of fluid and a filter for $177 from the dealer :( (Angle gear, Haldex fluid/filter and rear diff fluid). I should have her running like new again and then throw a RICA tune on it this summer! Coming from a B6 S4 it needs just a bit more kick in the pants to keep me happy, I think this should do the trick.

Comment

Just keep an eye on the angle gear fluid... If your S40 is anything like '98-'00 -70 AWD models that I've been looking at, it's not very hard to screw up the angle gear. With mine at least, all the tires have to be within 3/32" of each other on tread wear, otherwise it'll ruin the angle gear. That and check the fluid with every oil change. I was going through the service records that came with my XC... The angle gear was replaced on it... $2900!
                  Scott

Comment

The xc90 has the haldex gen 5 in it and it is awesome in this snow/ crap ... didnt realize what i was missing .. unfortanlty the abs/ traction control system is too safe ... ive tried .. you can turn it down but not off :(
                    12 Volvo XC 90
                    03 Jetta1.8T
                    95 Cabrio VRT
                    90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
                      Just keep an eye on the angle gear fluid... If your S40 is anything like '98-'00 -70 AWD models that I've been looking at, it's not very hard to screw up the angle gear. With mine at least, all the tires have to be within 3/32" of each other on tread wear, otherwise it'll ruin the angle gear. That and check the fluid with every oil change. I was going through the service records that came with my XC... The angle gear was replaced on it... $2900!
                      I'm throwing fresh fluid in next week, what else can I do to keep an eye on it? Or do you mean just keep up on the changes? It's sitting at 91,000km and I'm sure this is the first change, given it's "Lifetime" fluid. It seems S40s/V50s don't have the same problem blowing angle gears like their big brothers, but I still want to keep it in tip top shape and not have to worry about it.

Originally posted by Lars View Post
                      The xc90 has the haldex gen 5 in it and it is awesome in this snow/ crap ... didnt realize what i was missing .. unfortanlty the abs/ traction control system is too safe ... ive tried .. you can turn it down but not off :(
                      I agree. My biggest disappointment with this car is not being able to fully kill stability control. You can pull a gentle power slide, but no chance on getting it all out sideways on the snow, even though you can tell it wants to!

Comment

Yep thats true but its safer to drive i guess for eveyday dutys
                        12 Volvo XC 90
                        03 Jetta1.8T
                        95 Cabrio VRT
                        90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

I'm throwing fresh fluid in next week, what else can I do to keep an eye on it? Or do you mean just keep up on the changes? It's sitting at 91,000km and I'm sure this is the first change, given it's "Lifetime" fluid. It seems S40s/V50s don't have the same problem blowing angle gears like their big brothers, but I still want to keep it in tip top shape and not have to worry about it.

I agree. My biggest disappointment with this car is not being able to fully kill stability control. You can pull a gentle power slide, but no chance on getting it all out sideways on the snow, even though you can tell it wants to!
                          "FETTES BROT" is a member on vwvortex who is a tech at Valentine. He's answered a few questions for me.
                          Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

Yeah, I think they're improved in the S40/V50. My understanding is that as long as the fluid doesn't change to any funky colours you're fine haha

Originally posted by saabhutter View Post
                            "FETTES BROT" is a member on vwvortex who is a tech at Valentine. He's answered a few questions for me.
                            I think he also goes by thebracko on Swedespeed. I'm 99% sure it's the same guy
                            Last edited by CGY_GTI; 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM.
                            Scott

Comment

I just did the CBV last night. What a pain in the ass. It got me back 3psi of lost boost though and I now read normal vacuum. Yay!

For those of you with piston style CBVs, do you actually pull them out and grease them regularly? I would really rather never touch that thing again.

Comment

Working...
                              X