Am I Insane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Insane?

I loved my 9-3 Aero and want another one in the worst way. Am I crazy?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ493503189

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ493503189

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ538187631

These things are silly cheap and have ridiculous potential.

My old Aero, if anyone gives a ****:

2007 9-3 AERO
    Laser Red
    6MT
    320HP 390LB/FT
    19in HRE 540R (thanks Blair)

Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Re: Am I Insane?

Might as well make this my little Saab page. Feel free to comment or ignore, either way I'm having fun posting pictures and talking Saab (even if it's just to myself).

Current/last Saab in my fleet:

1992 900 Turbo Convertible:

180km, 5MT, all service records (totalling like $40k), original invoice (~$60k(!) in 1992), mint car, mechanically perfect.

To do: SPG kit, clear blinkers/turning lights, custom upholstery, 9000 Aero wheels (very soon).

The car:

The Goal (Should be there this summer):

Last edited by saabhutter; 11-22-2013, 08:11 PM.
    Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Comment

Various other Saabs (I think I've owned 6 in total):

'05 9-3 Linear Steel Grey:

1991 900T Coupe:

1993 900S:

Love this picture. '07 Aero, '05 9-3 (background), '93 900.
      Last edited by saabhutter; 11-22-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Awesome cars! Turbo powwwwar! I still remember the jet vs Saab commercial, epic demonstration of turbo power! Loving the red convertible.
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
          Awesome cars! Turbo powwwwar! I still remember the jet vs Saab commercial, epic demonstration of turbo power! Loving the red convertible.
          Thanks man! The commercials were pretty neat. Unique advertising, if a little incorrect.

Comment

im digging the red aero!

Comment

I've always liked the body style of those 9-3's, especially the Sportcombi and TurboX! I've never really looked into the aftermarket stuff for them, but if it has quite a bit of support, it's definitely something I'd drive.
              Scott
              '23 Audi Q5 Technik | Ultra Blue Metallic | Black​
              '01 DC5 Honda Integra Type R | Championship White | Red

Comment

Originally posted by danaldson View Post
                im digging the red aero!
                Thanks man!

Originally posted by CGY_GTI View Post
                I've always liked the body style of those 9-3's, especially the Sportcombi and TurboX! I've never really looked into the aftermarket stuff for them, but if it has quite a bit of support, it's definitely something I'd drive.
                There's a fair amount of aftermarket stuff available performance wise, you won't see a wide selection of wheels, suspension options, or aesthetic mods like you do for VAG, BMW, or MB. The 2.8T has a ton of potential and is found in '06-'09 9-3 Aeros, and the Turbo X (as well as the 9-4x and Caddy SRX). A stage 5 2.8T (exhaust, 19T, larger injectors, tune) will yield about 420HP 535 LB/FT. Wicked fast apparently. The tuner who offers the stage 5 has the fastest Saab in North America, a NG900 with a 2.0 4cyl. It's either in the high 9s or really low 10s, I don't recall. My Aero had a stage 0 tune with 320HP and 395 lb/ft which was enough for me. Third gear pulls were silly.

Here are a few stage 5 clips with automatics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w878YyQKnZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIvQ0n2RIQ

Comment

Awesome cars!

I've always thought SAAB's were the coolest sh*t, really unique cars. Not many people modify them, which I've always thought was a bit lame.

I have wanted a 99 Turbo for forever!
                  Levi.W
                  78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                  91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

the red aero is awesome looking

i thought you couldn't buy parts at all for them anymore like i mean zero parts

Comment

My first turbo car was a 1981 900 turbo. 8 Valve and no inter-cooler. Was a really fast car for its time with tons of torque. It was a hideous metallic green with green interior I think it was called "Metallic Pea" It had these metric sized wheels my Michelin called TRX. Rebuilt the turbo 3 times, but was hooked on turbo cars from that point on. Always had a soft spot for Saabs.

I am not sure If anybody is old enough to remember the Enduro 900 turbo. I don't think they were ever in NA but I remember the Magazine articles and was the main reason I started looking at Saabs.

Last edited by bobkatkat; 11-22-2013, 11:18 PM.

Comment

black 900 turbo. so hot.
                        you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Originally posted by VanDamage View Post
                          Awesome cars!

I've always thought SAAB's were the coolest sh*t, really unique cars. Not many people modify them, which I've always thought was a bit lame.

I have wanted a 99 Turbo for forever!
                          Thanks! It's definitely uncommon to see a modified Saab but there is definitely a strong, albeit small, following for the cars. Never too late to pick up a 99T! They're fairly common on the saabnet.com classifieds and I see them from time to time on kijiji in BC.

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                          the red aero is awesome looking

i thought you couldn't buy parts at all for them anymore like i mean zero parts

Thanks for the compliment on the Aero, I kind of regret selling it to be honest. The Volvo is probably the better car but it just isn't as unique, in my opinion.

The parts situation isn't optimal but it isn't all that bad anymore. I was in a bad accident at the height of the bankruptcy and it did take a fairly long time for parts to roll in. You can't pick up every part you'll need at the local parts store but if you can use the internet and don't mind calling a few US dealers, it's not bad at all. Saab Parts was actually quite profitable (go figure), so they weren't involved in the bankruptcy. They're currently owned by the Swedish government and are currently producing parts for the 1M+ Saabs worldwide!

Originally posted by intocco View Post
                          My first turbo car was a 1981 900 turbo. 8 Valve and no inter-cooler. Was a really fast car for its time with tons of torque. It was a hideous metallic green with green interior I think it was called "Metallic Pea" It had these metric sized wheels my Michelin called TRX. Rebuilt the turbo 3 times, but was hooked on turbo cars from that point on. Always had a soft spot for Saabs.

I am not sure If anybody is old enough to remember the Enduro 900 turbo. I don't think they were ever in NA but I remember the Magazine articles and was the main reason I started looking at Saabs.

My first car (and turbo) was the grey 9-3 above. I'd kill for an '81 T! Great collectors car. Did it have an unsightly blue or brick red cloth interior?

I definitely know of the Enduro, it was an Aus-only car. I believe they made 10 of them total. IIRC, only around 3 or 4 still exist. I've seen a fairly mint one on saabcentral.com, it's quite the car. Very Porsche-like with the massive fenders.

My first car (and turbo) was the grey 9-3 above. I'd kill for an '81 T! Great collectors car. Did it have an unsightly blue or brick red cloth interior?

I definitely know of the Enduro, it was an Aus-only car. I believe they made 10 of them total. IIRC, only around 3 or 4 still exist. I've seen a fairly mint one on saabcentral.com, it's quite the car. Very Porsche-like with the massive fenders.
                          Last edited by saabhutter; 11-22-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

That Enduro is beyond cool
                            Levi.W
                            78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                            91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

Nothing wrong with a 9-3 at all IMO, I enjoyed riding in Simon's and it was pretty quick too!!

They are still pretty common around here, but seems like a good used car buy these days!!

And yes that Enduro is mega awesome!!!
                              Blair
                              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Working...
                              X