Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calgary's Best/Worst Car Wash Thread

Originally posted by wildguess View Post
    Actually you may wash your car on the street in Calgary.

Sewers and drainage - FAQ

Can I wash my car on the street?

Under theDrainage Bylaw 37M2005, you may use only water to clean your car. If you are washing your car on the street, you must not use any kind of soap or any product other than water, and your car must not be overly dirty. Since the Drainage Bylaw states that only water may enter the storm sewers, we strongly suggest using a carwash to wash vehicles.
    Ummmmmm...

I guess technically you can RINSE your car off on the streets, but not wash.....also what defines "overly dirty"? Since it is a vague term there will be vastly different interpretations.

Comment

What's the definition of clean water as well?

Did a job with the city a few months ago, had the environmental side out to monitor the job, these are the guys that make the rules bylaw enforces. Long story short they made a mistake and water that comes to your house and you drink was headed for a storm sewer. They panicked and called the fire department because the chlorine in the water they didn't want to go to the river. So in that bylaw you can't use tap water and overly dirty is up to bylaw.

Want to avoid any issues, rinse the car on the grass, don't let any run off hit a storm sewer. I personally think the bylaw is excessive and yes it costs me money and business following it. I am sharing this so you know and don't get a visit and a fine from bylaw.
      Ben
      2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
      2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
      2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
      Her's
      2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Update: I found a very good car wash for People living up the NW, the self wash by the spy hill land fill is much better than the one at t&t, only takes $3 to wash my Jetta and $5 for a GL550, go after 9PM and you can dry the car inside since not many people go there.
        Current Fleet
        #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
        2001 Cobra #88/3786
        1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
        2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
        2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

$3 is the norm for a jetta. 2 bucks to soap, wipe with glove. 1 for rinse.

gas king/centex midnapore ftw.

Comment

Does the Centex on 16th have a car wash? I love that place. It's nice to now be driving a vehicle that I'm not afraid to put cheap Centex fuel into.
            Daily: 2015 VW Jetta Trendline + (his) 2018 VW Tiguan Comfortline (hers) 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design: Orange Flame Metallic, Polestar, Milltek non-resonated exhaust, Various OEM+ accessories

Toy: 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: Talladega Red, 16in Aero wheels, 5MT.

Comment

Originally posted by nismodrifter View Post
              $3 is the norm for a jetta. 2 bucks to soap, wipe with glove. 1 for rinse.

gas king/centex midnapore ftw.
              Seems you've been away from Calgary for a while lol. The centex in Midnapore isnt what it used to be. Lots of "broken" bays, water pressure sucks in most of them, its really gone downhill. The new carwash in chaparral has been the new spot
              Patryk
              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
              08 VW .:R32
              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                Seems you've been away from Calgary for a while lol. The centex in Midnapore isnt what it used to be. Lots of "broken" bays, water pressure sucks in most of them, its really gone downhill. The new carwash in chaparral has been the new spot
                yup, that place is in the sh*tter now. either chaparral or the midnapore carwash.ca its under new ownership and is being fixed up nicely. they even ask to put your car up on their Facebook page and stuff. very friendly nice guys. THEY ALSO TOOK THAT DAMN SPEED BUMP OUT!!!!

Comment

I really need to try that new Midnapore place out and see how I like it! Heard from a few people now that its pretty good!
                  Patryk
                  Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
                  08 VW .:R32
                  04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

i got there every time now, when you change selection from lets say rinse to soap, the soap comes out really quick, not much waiting. also the left side of the bay has short nozzles, and the right side of the bay has longer nozzles. whichever you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by kujiwara View Post
                      Update: I found a very good car wash for People living up the NW, the self wash by the spy hill land fill is much better than the one at t&t, only takes $3 to wash my Jetta and $5 for a GL550, go after 9PM and you can dry the car inside since not many people go there.
                      This place is pretty good. However, the road there is very dirty (lots of dirt loaded dump trucks on the road) and the rusty exit doors always seem to be dripping on your car on your way out. Also, they could use more lights inside, it's kinda dark in there.

The best bays are the two tall bays on the left...

I go here all the time since it's close to home.
                      - Jordan
                      '13 VW Golf R // '12 Audi Q5 3.2L // '12 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L

Comment

Centex on Centre St.
                        Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:YouTube

Don

sigpic

Comment

Mile wide car wash on 17th near 33rd is my favorite to go to. There is one by my work right behind the old SCFC which i will visit the odd time on a pinch but i dont like it at all. only accepts $2 at a time and even on rinse still puts out some soap, not a fan.
                          sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                          His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                          Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                          Past:
                          B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                          B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                          2004 .:R32 BMP
                          2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                          2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                          1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Found another good one, big bubbles at crowfoot, less time per dollar than the spy hill landfill one, but does seem to clean better.
                            Current Fleet
                            #ProjectICreate Jetta GLI32
                            2001 Cobra #88/3786
                            1989 Jetta Trophy 1 of 500
                            2004 Audi A2 FSI Colour Storm RHD
                            2015 B8.5 S4 Sepang/Technik/6MT/SD/AAD/CF

Motorsport Engineer

Comment

I usually go to the wash in Chestermere or Chapparal by the storage place.

I avoid the one in country hills, it doesn't take visa and they charge a ton!

Comment

For my south east people, there is one in Douglas Glen right beside the Woodridge Ford dealership that I go to every time and im always satisfied with. self serve, $1/minute and a half I think, and the water is heated. for $2 you get like 3 minutes or something. The people that run it are nice as well.
                                D R E W

Comment

Working...
                                X