Galaxy S4 App-rehension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy S4 App-rehension

So I'm rather partial to my iPhone but they're such a pain to maintain when unlocked/jailbroken that I'd rather not deal with the hassle. Was just going to upgrade to a 6 when it gets released but then I came across this:

This bluetooth adapter allows easy wireless connection to any bluetooth enabled Android device or laptop, allowing use of the powerful (and FREE!) VEMS android gauge application on your tablet or smart phone, or the ability to tune wirelessly with your laptop!

Included is a 12v power adapter that powers both the serial adapter and your tablet or smartphone via included female USB socket.

So I fired off an email to Vems directly asking about future plans regarding iOS support.

From VEMS:
    Hi Dustin,

We don't have support for iOS and do not have immediate plans for supporting iOS. The Android tablets were the target (phones were a nice side effect) and the price disparity between Android tablet and an iPad is huge. We recommend the Nexus 7 ($199).

Apple's process for development and app release is a bit unwieldy as well. That's the primary reason we looked at Android, and found it to be a better platform. I have an iPhone, but wouldn't consider using it as a dash in my car. Doing one thing is ok (like the speedometer app) but not multiple.

Thanks,
    Jason

Anybody else made the switch? I'm a tad apprehensive about migrating between platforms. Not enough, however, to have prevented me from pre-ordering the S4 though... should be here the 27th.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
    Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
    Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Re: Galaxy S4 App-rehension

I have both and iPhone and GS3, and I only bought the GS3 to use on my business line and took it as an oppurtunity to get familiar with the android platform.
    The phones are bigger, lots more display, more depth in colors and less restrictions when it comes to customizing etc. But for some reason I always pick up my Iphone first when I want to surf the net. Its not the same smooth Iphone navigation you get when you use the android, and I am still using 4s.
    BTW The GS3 was supposed to contend the iPhone 5. Like them both, each have their own little querks. iPhone def more stable platform.
    GS3 Crashes and glitches a lot more, but it doesnt bother me as all technology is not perfect. A nice phone to go with also, is the google nexus from LG(Googles website) they are decently priced, factory unlocked, and very sleek phones. Another thing too is they are not branded by samsung or lg or htc with third party apps, just straight barebone android software. The androids are def better for rooting (jailbreaking) than an iPhone hands down.

Side note...I can Factory unlock any android phone to use on any network for when you get your S4 if you want.
    Last edited by 24vr86; 04-21-2013, 02:27 PM. Reason: Formatting
    Silver Stoned
    16' Lithium Gray F150( Winter mode)
    03' 24V VR6

Comment

Originally posted by 24vr86 View Post
      Side note...I can Factory unlock any android phone to use on any network for when you get your S4 if you want.
      Decent! Duly noted

The Nexus is a well-priced, sleek looking unit but doesn't have the hardware spec to compete with the S4.

Comment

2011 called they want their technology news back.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

^^ lol its like beating a dead dog. Android is better. Enough said.

Comment

I have a skewed opinion , therefore i will not post an advertisement for my apple .lol
            sigpic

Comment

ive tried using friends android products in the past, never really liked them that much. i used to own a blackberry and thought it was the cats ass, untill i opened my eyes and bought an iphone 4S, i would say the iphone is the first "smartphone" ive owned because the blackberry was a pile o ****.lol.
              Current:
              2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion DSG
              2013 VW Jetta 2.5
              Past:
              2005 VW JTI 1.8T
              1993 VW Jetta 2.0
              1996 VW GTI VR6

1991 Ford F150 4X4
              1989 Nissan Kingcab 2WD
              1983 Buick Skylark

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                2011 called they want their technology news back.
                I don't get it... what are you being so smug about?

Apple's iOS isn't supported for Vems and Android is. Hence the swap. Otherwise I'd keep the product I'm used to and has the GUI I prefer.

Comment

I wouldn't trade my android for an apple any day.
                  Technology in apples is outdated.
                  http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/14...4-vs-iphone-5/
                  ~~TODD~~
                  '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

Nice, I could use some links... I browse osxdaily.com everyday but haven't searched out any good android sites yet.

droid-life.com looks like a nice equivalent

Comment

What does Lambda in the dials mean? Half Life springs to mind...

Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                      2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                      2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

XDA Developers is the best android forum. Hands down.

Comment

X2
                          Originally posted by cgdoig View Post
                          xda developers is the best android forum. Hands down.
                          Justin
                          MkVI CW GTI 4-Door 6MT | APR Stage 2 | APR RSC Exhaust | VWR Intake |H&R Street Performance

Comment

If your a developer and a tweaker, or likes to take their phone to the limit, then there is definitely more out there for android. But if you just want a smart phone with smart apps that will do what its supposed to do, stick with apple. I find my devices never run well after the jailbreak, or like noted earlier, they require lots of maintenance.
                            Silver Stoned
                            16' Lithium Gray F150( Winter mode)
                            03' 24V VR6

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
                              What does Lambda in the dials mean? Half Life springs to mind...
                              Lambda is a ratio of air:fuel that you look at when you're tuning to enusre you're not running too lean or too rich at various points in the rpm range.

Originally posted by CGDoig View Post
                              XDA Developers is the best android forum. Hands down.
                              Awesome, I'll have a look.

Originally posted by 24vr86 View Post
                              If your a developer and a tweaker, or likes to take their phone to the limit, then there is definitely more out there for android. But if you just want a smart phone with smart apps that will do what its supposed to do, stick with apple. I find my devices never run well after the jailbreak, or like noted earlier, they require lots of maintenance.
                              Not as much of a tweaker as I used to be, but I do like to personalize. I was on the fence about this switch for a while as it's nice to be able to sign documents paperlessly with the phone but Apple supports apps for that. When I found out about the Bluetooth dongle and confirmed Vems' stance toward adopting iOS the rest was merely a formality.
                              Last edited by PRY4SNO; 04-23-2013, 06:05 AM. Reason: fix quote

Comment

Working...
                              X