Headunit swap back to OEM maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Headunit swap back to OEM maybe?

oh kris.. the OEM MFD (aka NAV) you can get from europe and get CDN and US CD's for it now you need to wire a changer in the trunk or phatbox for it.. it works with the fullscreen MFA too.. its pretty pricey tho for it all.. you need to mount the GPS antenna somewhere or switch to a sharkfin to get that part.. umm you can input DVD's into it with a changer i think someguy on vortex has his playing movies so i'm assuming so.. more research to follow

Comment

Post pics too
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

The OEM Nav MFD is pretty solid. The only major issues with it are that the AM radio is poor because the european system is different or something. For most of us who are running double din systems, if you're looking for one you need a version D. The version D is the easiest to adapt to double din systems, but it still needs a wiring harness.

The single CD player in the headunit is only for the map CD's which is why you need a CD changer if you want to listen to CD's. Obviously there's no tape player either.

The map CDs for north america don't exist, but can be made from Audi CDs. There's a write up somewhere on the Vortex.

There are adapters so that it can be used as a TV to play DVDs and such, but as far as I know they aren't NTSC so they don't work for north american DVDs.

From what I've read, the hardest part of the install is wiring the antenna.

It's pretty expensive, coming to like $2000 - 5000 USD. They can be had over german ebay, but that's a whole other story. Someone wrote a quide on how to purchase Audi Nav systems off ebay.de.

Just some info...
        huh?

2003 GTI Silverstone Gray

Comment

I wouldn't want it for the nav... just CD's and such. But if you can't play CD's with it, there isn't much point.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

okay i think i'm gonna order the Gamma HU and the indash 6 disc changer and see how it works.. i usually get 6 albums of mp3s on 1 CD so this will be the same and its right in front of me so thats cool.. they go for 200euro about for the whole package on german ebay.. which is like 300CDN plus whatever shipping is.. PG sells it for like 600 bucks or something for the changer alone!!! i'll order this setup in a month or so and give it a whirl..

Comment

okay i'm hella confused now.. searching on german ebay again you can get a Gamma HU and 6disc indash changer for like 200euros or a 6disc changer alone for 309 euros.. and then a gamma for 100 or so so like 400 euros.. maybe i should just get one from PG.. i can't read the sites and the translators aren't working too good for me.. i might have to ask that blitzen guy from vortex what he can get one to me for.. hrmm

Comment

Hehe, all this talk about headunits got me thinking, I had my monsoon deck replaced about a month ago, and until now I never realized that NL put in the wrong deck! I have a non-monsoon in place (doesn't flash monsoon on startup), and it clicks on startup, so its a premium 6 instead! Crazy, anyhow, now I got another appointment to get a monsoon deck put back in! Thanks for spurring my memory!
                2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

ACK! okay now i found out for us with a stock double din deck you have to get the Delta 6 HU because the Gamma won't work even after fixing the wiring harness! So i guess the changer goes in the trunk or the phatbox or whatever. now i have to find this one lol.. the guy i bought my dash kit from i emailed him and he's gonna give me a price from germany for one so hopefully its cheap

Comment

I'd love a Delta, the prices on ebay.de are reasonable, works out to about 250-300 cdn for them....The display is larger too, isn't it?? I asked NLVW and 5th ave, neither of them have even heard of the Delta 6.....just puzzled glances!
                    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

haha alex they won't help you at all with euro parts they are clueless yes.. umm i think the display is a bit larger yea and no casette!!! woot!

i'll post my the price my guy can get me.. if not i'm gonna try my best with the german ebay..

Comment

Ill be hookin up a delta within the year for sure

Present
                        2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                        2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                        2003 VW Jetta GLI
                        1992 VW Jetta GL
                        1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

well i'm gonna hook up my stock deck back tonight to see how it works with my MFA and how it sounds.. i miss the stock look.. since i've gotten a ride in pauls gti and dericks car i see the stock setup and i love how it looks.. just flows with the car.. my sony matches the lights and all but ya know
                          i'm ordering a delta 6 this month or next month sometime once i figure out german ebay or can source one from the guy i got my trim from..

ps.. gonna tape down the deck holders on the stock so i don't have to go to soundsaround to get it removed if i want to put my sony back in this weekend

Comment

Working...
                          X